First things first
If you haven’t already activated your Platinum Card, you can do so by calling 1-800-619-4228. One of our representatives will gladly help set up your account.
Once you’ve activated, it’s a good idea to register for Online Services – for more information, click on the Online Services tab below.
Enjoy financial flexibility and the opportunity to maximize your Membership Rewards points.
Because the Platinum Card is a Charge Card, rather than a Credit Card, you pay your balance in full each month. As a Charge Card, you’ll have the financial flexibility of no pre-set spending limit, which provides you the opportunity to maximize your Membership Rewards points earned. Consider using your Card for things you would normally pay for with cash or debit, like gas, grocery or drugstore purchases.
No pre-set spending limit does not mean unlimited spending. Your purchases are approved based on a variety of factors, including current spending patterns, your payment history, credit record, and financial resources known to us.
Should you wish to make a purchase that is beyond your usual spending patterns, or are considering travelling, for your protection, we suggest calling Platinum Card Customer Service at 1-800-263-1616.
Year-end Summary of Charges
You will receive an itemized, chronological listing of all your transactions for the entire year. The Year-End Summary of Charges can help simplify financial planning and can be an invaluable aid during tax preparation. You will receive your copy in February for the previous year’s charges.
Your Security Code
For your additional security, your Card has a 4-digit security code printed on the front, which you may be asked for during phone or online transactions. It’s above the actual Card number, on the right-hand side.
Your Customer Password
When you first speak with an American Express agent on the phone, during Activation, or when registering for Online Services, you may be asked to create a Customer Password (CPW). Your CPW provides greater protection for your account such as reducing identity theft and will be used for future identification purposes. Once we capture your unique password, you will be prompted to enter it into the Voice Response system each time you call American Express, which will reduce the amount of identification questions an agent will ask of you as well as protect the integrity of your account and keep your private information safe and confidential.
Your Customer Password can be any 4-digit number you choose. You should select a number that will be easy for you to remember. Please note that your Customer Password is not the password associated with your User ID when you log in to americanexpress.com.
Enjoy fast, secure access to your billing information anywhere, anytime
Managing your American Express Account online is simple, secure and free. You can view your current balance, enroll in Online-Only Statements, enroll in e-mail and/or text message Account Alerts or customize your preferences for any Alerts you may already be receiving1. You can do all this in the privacy of your home or office 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Enroll today and:
- Keep track of your account by sorting transactions and viewing purchase details as they are charged to your account.
- Do your filing online and reduce the clutter by enrolling in Online-Only Statements.
- Download and save your statement in your preferred accounting format, or print it for your records.
- View your statement online as soon as it’s ready – up to two days sooner than conventional mail.
- Enroll in or update your Account Alert preferences to help you keep track of key account information while on the go1.
American Express provides the flexibility to receive your paper statement or turn your paper statement off and receive Online-Only Statements. The format of your statement is the same, whether you receive it via mail or online. We have a page dedicated to common statement inquiries. Click here to learn more or call us and we’d be happy to answer any questions.
Ways to pay your bill
There are so many ways to pay your bill in an efficient, secure way so take your pick. We’ve briefly highlighted them here but click on the link below to learn more about each option.
- Electronic Payments Program
- - Pre-authorized Payment Plan
- American Express Pay by Phone
- Internet Banking
- Telephone Banking
- Automated Banking Machines
- By mailing a cheque
- In person at your local bank or financial institution’s branch
For more information on payment methods, click here.
Stay up to date with Account Alerts1
Account Alerts is a free service that helps you keep track of key Account information while on the go. You can enroll in e-mail and/or text message Account Alerts or customize or change your preferences for any Alerts you may already be receiving.1 Here are our applicable account alerts:
- Payment Due Reminder can help you to avoid missing a payment.
- Payment Received can help you feel at ease as it notifies you that we have received your latest payment.
- Balance Update can help you feel in control by providing weekly reminders of your balance at your preferred date and time.
We’re here for you 24/7
We’ve designed the online Support 24/7 centre with your needs in mind. You’ll find information on:
- How to contact us with any concern, from a lost or stolen Card, to any servicing you may need
- How to protect yourself from Fraud, Identity Theft and other protection you have with your Card Membership
- Tips, tools, information and guidance on credit know-how
- Online Services, including tools to best manage your account with ease
- Frequently asked questions about American Express, your Card and your benefits
If you need to speak to us, you can also call us 24/7 at the number on the back of your Card to speak with a Customer Care Professional.
Chip & PIN technology is soon to be introduced to all American Express Cards in Canada. Chip & PIN Cards contain a microchip to encrypt information, making it more difficult for unauthorized users to copy or access data. Together with a 4-digit PIN (Personal Identification Number) known only to you, Chip & PIN Cards provide you with an extra layer of security against fraud from lost, stolen, and counterfeit cards. Visit our dedicated Chip & PIN page to find out more.