Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What foreign currencies can I buy from American Express?
We offer over 50 foreign currencies online and many more in our airport locations, from US Dollars to Malaysian Ringgit and Travellers Cheques in US Dollars, Euros, Australian Dollars, Canadian Dollars and Sterling. Visit one of our airport locations, or if you prefer to order online go to Travel Money Now to see all available currencies and for assistance selecting the currency for your destination.
2. Where can I find American Express Currency Exchange locations?
You can find American Express Currency Exchange locations in, Birmingham, Boston, Copenhagen, Geneva, Nice, Rome and Vienna Airports. You can find a full list of our locations, including opening hours, here.
3. What time are American Express Currency Exchange locations open?
Our branches are open at times to suit you. We open before the first flights leave and in a number of airports we have a selection of branches open 24 hours a day. You can find a full list including opening hours here.
4. How can I pay for my foreign currency and Travellers Cheques?
For online and walk-up transactions, you can pay with your UK-issued American Express card, credit card or debit card. At our airport locations we also accept cash payments up to any amount (but in accordance with Anti-Money Laundering Regulations). American Express reserves the right to request valid identification for any transaction. Two forms of ID, including a valid passport, are required for all transactions over £10,000. Payment by card is up to any amount subject to authorisation and when accompanied by a valid passport or driving licence. Please note that some banks and credit card companies may charge a cash handling fee.
5. Do I have to be an American Express Cardmember to buy currency from American Express?
No, all travellers can take advantage of American Express Currency Exchange products and services.
6. Which countries use the Euro?
The Euro (EUR) is the legal currency in member countries of the European Monetary Union (EMU). This countries are: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Kosovo, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro, Netherlands, Portugal, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and the Vatican City.
If you are travelling to any of these countries you should take Euros in the form of cash and/or American Express Travellers Cheques.
7. Does American Express charge to buy back currency I have not used when travelling?
Pay just £3.99 for our Buy Back Guarantee when you purchase your foreign currency at one of our airport locations and we'll buy back your unused currency when you return to the UK, at the rate you purchased it at. Simply show your American Express purchase receipt dated within 31 days of the initial purchase along with your passport.
This service is available at our Currency Exchange locations located in UK airports, but not for online orders at present.
8. Which currency American Express Travellers Cheques should I take when travelling?
You can exchange your Travellers Cheques for local currency at accepting banks, foreign exchange locations and some American Express Travel Service Offices. In the United States and sometimes elsewhere, you may also then directly at accepting retailers, restaurants and hotels. Find out more on which Travellers Cheques to take to your destination and convenient locations to use them.
9. Will I have to pay commission to encash American Express Travellers Cheques overseas?
In most countries American Express and Representative offices encash American Express Travellers Cheques at a small charge. Find your most convenient location.
ORDERING FOREIGN CURRENCY AND TRAVELLERS CHEQUES ONLINE
Please go to the Travel Money Now Frequently Asked Questions for a complete list of our most frequently asked questions.
1. How do I place an order on Travel Money Now?
1. Choose the currency and product type you wish to buy and enter the amount you need (either in Pounds or the foreign amount)
2. Select 'Home Delivery' or the airport location for collection
3. Select your preferred delivery or collection date
4. Complete your order online, including payment with your American Express credit card or charge card, credit card or debit card.
2. When will my Travel Money Now order be ready?
If you choose to collect your order at one of our UK airport locations, it will typically be ready in 4 hours for major currencies (EUR, USD, SGD, NOK, JPY, THB, ZAR, SEK, CNY, DKK, CAD, AUD, AED, EGP, HKD and Travellers Cheques), and 48 hours for all other currencies.
For home delivery orders, next-day delivery is available if you place your order before 2pm on Monday to Thursday. Further details are are available here.
3. How much does delivery to my home address cost?
There is no delivery charge for orders above £500 (or foreign currency equivalent). For orders less than £500, there is a delivery charge of £5.
4. Is there a commission charge when I order my foreign currency with Travel Money Now?
All foreign currencies and foreign Travellers Cheques ordered online with Travel Money Now are commission free (excluding Sterling Travellers Cheques where 1.5% commission with a minimum of £3 applies).
5. Is there a charge for using my credit card?
All transactions will be treated as a cash advance transaction and in most cases card issuers charge a fee for this service. Please contact your card issuer for information on your standard cash advance fees.
6. Can I cancel my Travel Money Now order?
Once the order has been accepted we are unable to make any changes to your order or cancel your order.
7. Will I need to produce any identification when collecting my order?
Yes, when collecting your order you will need to bring your order reference number, the card used for payment and either your valid passport or valid photographic UK drivers licence.
8. When I place an order online, do I receive the exchange rate on the day of order, or the exchange rate on the day my order is delivered or collected?
The exchange rate you receive is the exchange rate that applies when you place and pay for your order online.