Internet Privacy StatementUpdated: May 10, 2010
American Express Company, its subsidiaries and affiliates ("American Express") values and protects your privacy. We thank you for the trust that you place in us and we want you to know that the information you share with us will be treated with care.
The objective of this Online Privacy Statement is to disclose and explain what "Personally Identifiable Information" ("PII") and other information we collect, use, and share and to explain the privacy choices that you can make. We encourage you to read this Online Privacy Statement, as well as those of all websites that you visit.
This Online Privacy Statement applies solely to: (1) information collected by American Express or our "Vendors" via: (a) www.americanexpress.com and all services and webpages available under those American Express websites that display, link to, or incorporate by reference this Online Privacy Statement ("Website"), or (b) e-mail, as described in this Online Privacy Statement; and (2) United States visitors to this Website. In addition to the protections that we provide through this Online Privacy Statement, your online activities and your communication and privacy choices may also be covered by a Privacy Notice that may be sent to you annually depending on which American Express Card(s) you may have.
American Express may provide links to third-party websites. This Online Privacy Statement does not apply to any information you may provide while on such sites. We encourage you to read the privacy policies on those sites before providing any of your PII on such sites.
WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE USE IT
- The Information We Collect
- How We Use and Share The Information We Collect
- Advertisements On This Website and Other Websites
- Using Your E-mail Address
- Transfers of Information to Other Countries
- Children's Privacy
The Information We Collect
When you visit this Website, we or our Vendors collect information, including PII, that you provide, such as during your registration as a user or your application for a product or service. When browsing this Website, you may choose not to provide us with any PII, such as by not registering.
We automatically collect your "IP Address" used to connect your computer to the Internet, browser type and version, operating system, and computer platform. We or our Vendors also use "Cookies" or similar technologies, sometimes in combination with "Web Beacons", to collect some statistical data when you receive our e-mails or browse this Website, such as e-mail response rates, average time spent on this Website, pages viewed, information searched for, access times, "Clickstream Data," and other relevant information about your online experience. Cookies and Web Beacons set by American Express or by our Vendors do not capture any PII.
How We Use and Share The Information We Collect
American Express does not sell or share PII collected via this Website or via the e-mails covered by this Online Privacy Statement with entities outside of American Express so that they can independently market their own products and services directly to you.American Express may share your information within our American Express family of companies as required or permitted by law. To provide products and services to you, we may also share your information with carefully selected Vendors and "Business Partners" with whom we work. This includes companies that manage accounts; offer affinity, frequent-user, and reward programs; companies that perform marketing services and other business operations for us; and companies whose products or services are provided as a benefit of your account with us. All companies that act on our behalf are required to safeguard PII.
If you apply for products and services online, we may share information we collect from or about you with credit bureaus and similar organizations if we have your consent or when required or permitted by law. We may also use or disclose your information, including PII, to comply with the law or in response to a subpoena, court order, government request, or other legal process, or as otherwise permitted by law; to perform charge verifications; to report or collect debts owed; to reduce fraud or criminal activity; to protect the legal rights of American Express, our customers, this Website, or the users of this Website; to allow a purchaser of an American Express division, or American Express as a whole, to continue using your information to serve you; or as otherwise permitted by this Online Privacy Statement.
Advertisements On This Website and Other Websites
American Express hires Vendors to place advertisements on this Website and other websites, and to perform tracking and reporting functions for this Website and other websites. These Vendors do not collect PII in this process, and we do not give any PII to them as part of this process. This Online Privacy Statement does not cover the collection methods or use of the information collected by these Vendors. These Vendors have their own privacy policies and may be members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI"). To remove yourself from some or all NAI member advertising programs, please visit the NAI Opt-Out Page and follow the relevant instructions.
If you would like more information on how to remove yourself from the tracking and reporting functions performed for this Website by Omniture, our main Vendor for these purposes, please visit the Omniture Opt-Out Page and follow the relevant instructions.
Using Your E-Mail Address
We may use your e-mail address to send the following types of e-mail messages to you:
- Updates and Valuable Offers.We may send you e-mail account updates, offers for our products and services, requests for enrollment, as well as valuable offers from our Business Partners.
- Regularly Scheduled E-mail Newsletters related to American Express products or services in which you are enrolled or newsletters that you have elected to receive.
- Account Service Information. We may send you e-mail service notifications that are related to your account(s) or products and services in which you are enrolled. These include e-mails that provide account information, answer your questions about a product or service, facilitate or confirm a sale, or fulfill a legal or regulatory disclosure requirement.
- Optional Messages. You may also choose to receive other types of e-mail messages from us, including additional alerts and notifications beyond those noted above.
Transfers of Information to Other Countries
Some of the uses and disclosures mentioned in this Online Privacy Statement may involve the transfer of your PII to various countries around the world. By submitting your PII to American Express via this Website or in response to our e-mails, you consent to such transfers and to the processing of this information in various countries around the world.
This Website is not intended for use by children under the age of 13. We do not knowingly solicit data online from, or market online to, children under the age of 13. If we knowingly obtain PII in error on a child under the age of 13, we will delete that information from our systems.
YOUR COMMUNICATION AND PRIVACY CHOICES
American Express respects the choices that you make regarding your privacy. You may request that we no longer send you direct marketing e-mails and/or offline offers or promotions. Please note that it may take some time, consistent with applicable law, for us to process your request.
- If you are an American Express Cardmember and you do not want to receive future offers or promotions from American Express about our products and services, or the products and services of our Business Partners, please click here; or, if you do not want to receive future offers or promotions other than e-mail offers or promotions, please call 1-800-297-8378. In addition, if you have received certain marketing e-mails from American Express but you no longer want to receive them, you may also follow the unsubscribe instructions that are located at the bottom of those e-mail messages.
- If you are an American Express Consumer Travel customer and an American Express Cardmember, and you do not want to receive future offers or promotions from American Express Consumer Travel about our products and services, or the products and services of our Business Partners, please follow the Cardmember instructions above.
- If you are an American Express Consumer Travel customer who is not an American Express Cardmember, and you do not want to receive future offers or promotions from American Express Consumer Travel about our products and services, or the products and services of our Business Partners, please call 1-888-485-0470.
- If you are an American Express Travelers Cheque and Prepaid Services customer and you do not want to receive future offers or promotions from American Express Travelers Cheque and Prepaid Services about our products and services, or the products and services of our Business Partners, please call 1-800-722-8614.
- If you are a Personal Savings from American Express customer and do not want to receive offers or promotions about valuable products and services from Personal Savings from American Express, please call 1-800-446-6307.
- If you are a merchant accessing and using this Website and you wish to change your communication choices with us, please visit www.americanexpress.com/preferences, log in to Online Merchant Services, and select "Update Your E-mail Address;" or call 1-800-528-5200.
- For all other categories of users of this Website, if you have received certain marketing e-mails from American Express but you no longer want to receive them, you may follow the unsubscribe instructions that are located at the bottom of those e-mail messages. If you do not want to receive future offers or promotions from American Express via telephone, please register with the National Do Not Call Registry at https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx. If you do not want to receive future offers or promotions from American Express via direct mail, please register for the Direct Marketing Association's Mail Preference Service at https://www.dmachoice.org/MPS/proto1.php.
If you have multiple accounts with us, you will need to express your privacy choices for each of them separately using the applicable procedures above. Please note that even if you choose not to receive future direct marketing e-mails and/or offline offers or promotions, we may continue to send you service notifications, via e-mails or offline means, about your account(s) and related products and services, and such notifications may still include offers or promotions about your account(s) and related products and services. Such notifications may also provide account information (including information about servicing communications based on your customer status), answer your questions about a product or service, facilitate or confirm a sale, or fulfill a legal or regulatory requirement. In addition, you may still continue to receive marketing e-mails and offline offers or promotions from American Express Publishing. To make your communication and privacy choices for American Express Publishing, please visit the American Express Publishing Privacy Statement at http://www.amexpub.com/privacy/.
SECURING YOUR INFORMATION
We use reasonable administrative, technical, and physical security measures to protect your PII from unauthorized access and use. Do not use e-mail to send us any PII, since it would be unencrypted and can be read by anyone who receives or intercepts it.
UPDATING YOUR INFORMATION
If you wish to correct or update the PII related to your online American Express account(s), please use your User ID and Password to log in to our home page. You will then have access to your PII and can correct or update it.
CONTACTING AMERICAN EXPRESS
If you have an American-Express-issued Card and have questions about this Online Privacy Statement, please call Customer Service at the phone number on the back of your Card. If you do not have a Card with American Express, you may call 1-800-THE-CARD. If you are a Personal Savings from American Express customer, please call 1-800-446-6307.
CHANGES TO THIS ONLINE PRIVACY STATEMENT
American Express reserves the right to change this Online Privacy Statement at any time by posting revisions on this Website. Such changes will be effective upon posting.
Business Partner - A Business Partner is any third party with which American Express conducts business, except that the term Business Partner does not include a Vendor, as defined below.
Clickstream Data - Clickstream Data is information that users generate as they move from page to page and click on items within a website, usually stored in log files. Website designers can use Clickstream Data to improve users' experiences with a website.
Cookie - A Cookie is a small piece of information that a website transfers to the hard drive of a visitor's computer for record-keeping purposes. Cookies provide visitors a personalized experience on this Website by enabling us to determine unique preferences and trends based on visits to this Website and to other websites.
IP Address - An IP Address is a number that is assigned to your computer automatically and required for using the Internet.
Personally Identifiable Information ("PII") - PII is information collected online by American Express or by our Vendors that identifies the person to whom such information pertains, including without limitation name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address.
Vendor(s) - A Vendor is any third party that performs business operations on behalf of American Express, including without limitation printing, mailing services and other communications services (e.g., e-mail, direct mail, or otherwise), marketing, data processing, customer acquisition and servicing, collections, or advertisement management.
Web Beacon - A Web Beacon, also known as a "clear GIF" (a common format for image files), is an invisible file located on webpages that you visit. They are often used in combination with a Cookie to track navigation of a site. If you visit a page on this Website that contains a Web Beacon, it communicates with your computer to determine, among other things, whether you have been to that page before or viewed a particular advertisement.