Why choose a Rewards Credit Card?
With a Rewards Credit Card, you accumulate points with every purchase you make on your Card. See how your Card can help you get what you want, sooner.
There are many ways you may be able to maximise your points and make your Card work harder and smarter for you:
- Look out for purchases that earn more than 1 point per dollar spent – some Cards earn up to 3 points per dollar depending on where you spend.
- Use your Card to pay for regular items like bills, mobile, uber, or your gym membership.
- Add a Supplementary Card Member1 and the points earned will be credited to the Primary Card Member’s account.
- Refer a friend, and you could both earn Bonus Points2.
- Play Local Champion on the Amex Mobile App and you could earn Bonus Points in your favourite places.
There are lots of ways where you can get great value from the points you've earned:
- Redeem points for travel with one of our travel partners3.
- Shop with points at David Jones4 and Ticketmaster5.
- Pay for purchases with points6, or redeem your points for credit on your Account7.
- Use points for Gift Cards with major shopping, travel or entertainment retailers8.
- Transfer to participating Airline Reward Partner Programs9 (where eligible).
per dollar spent at
per dollar spent at
major petrol stations
per dollar spent on
practically everything else
per dollar spent
points per month
Earn rate and redemption rate is correct as at 17 August 2016. Assuming account is in good standing through the membership year.
In 12 months:
From our Airline Rewards Partners9
From a range of top retailers8
Select + Pay with points6
To pay with Membership Reward points
Click to expand
Click to collapse
1. Supplementary Credit Card Members must be over 18 years of age. You will be liable for all Supplementary Credit Card spending.
2. Terms and conditions apply. Subject to approval.
3. A minimum of 7,500 points must be redeemed at any one time. You can redeem points for prepaid travel of a nominated value through Webjet.com.au and helloworld with the point-of-purchase redemption capability. Webjet is not available to Card Members enrolled in the Gateway program. Travel bookings using points may be booked for any person, provided all your accounts are kept in good standing and are not overdue. Subject to the Membership Rewards Terms and Conditions and the partners' booking terms and conditions.
4. Subject to the David Jones Storecard and David Jones American Express Rewards Points Terms and Conditions available at davidjones.com.au/rewardpoints. The amount of Membership Rewards points required to purchase the item(s) is subject to change at any time. A minimum of 3,000 points must be redeemed at any one time. Only American Express Cards issued by American Express Australia Limited are eligible provided they are enrolled in the Membership Rewards program. The David Jones Storecard, Card Members enrolled in the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, Qantas American Express Cards, Velocity American Express Cards and Supplementary Card holders are not eligible for Shop with Points transactions. The Primary Card must be used to complete the purchase.
5. This is available to primary Card Members enrolled in the Membership Rewards program. A minimum of 2,000 points must be redeemed at any one time. Tickets must be purchased using your eligible American Express Card and will be charged to that day's purchase. American Express will debit the Membership Rewards points from your Membership Rewards account and issue a statement credit for the corresponding dollar amount charged for your ticket purchase on your Card account. Subject to the venue's and Ticketmaster's no refund/no exchange policy and the Membership Rewards Terms and Conditions.
6. Points may be redeemed by the Basic Card Member for a credit on the Primary Card Account (the Card which your Membership Rewards points balance appears online). American Express may decline a Points for Credit request where the Card Account or Card Member's other accounts with American Express are not in good standing. The redemption of Points for Credit will be administered solely by American Express within 3 business days and cannot be reversed. Redeeming Points for Credit is not available for redemption by Corporate Card accounts and is not redeemable for cash via credit balance refund.
7. This is available to primary Card Members enrolled in the Membership Rewards program. A minimum of 1,000 Membership Rewards points must be redeemed at any one time. Any credit to your Card Account cannot exceed the amount of the relevant Eligible Charges or the current outstanding balance on your Account. Certain fees and charges are excluded. Points will be debited immediately and the credit can take up to 72 hours to appear online. Credits processed after the Card Account’s statement closing date will appear in the following statement. You are still responsible for payment of the amount due on your Card Account by the due date. Corporate Card Members and David Jones American Express Card Members are not eligible. Subject to the Membership Rewards Terms & Conditions at membershiprewards.com.au.
8. Gift Card or voucher rewards are not redeemable or exchangeable for cash or credit and are valid for a period of 3 months from the date of issue, unless otherwise stated. Normal retailer Gift Card terms and conditions apply. Gift Cards and Vouchers will be dispatched within 5 business days. Orders over $600 will be dispatched via Registered Post. Should you not receive your Gift Card or reward within the stated timeframe, you must advise American Express within 28 days from date of redemption.
9. Membership Rewards Points Transfer is available to primary Card Members enrolled in the Ascent, Business Ascent, Spirit, Ascent Premium and Gateway Membership Rewards programs. Qantas Frequent Flyer is only available as a transfer partner in Business Ascent and Ascent Premium program. Virgin Atlantic Flying Club is not available as an Airline Transfer Partner in Gateway program. To redeem points, you must be a member of the transfer partner's frequent traveller program. Enrolment in the partner program is solely your responsibility and fees may apply. Points transferred to Airline Transfer Partners are not reversible and transferred points are subject to the terms and conditions of the partner programs. The minimum required points to transfer and transfer rate varies. Subject to the Membership Rewards Terms and Conditions available here.
10. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards program available at membershiprewards.com.au. Participating retailers include the following merchants who have been classified as ‘major supermarkets’: Bi-Lo, Coles, Fishers, Food For Less, Fresh Provisions, Harris Farm Markets, IGA, Macro Wholefoods,Safeway, Supabarn, Thomas Dux, Woolworths. Participating retailers include the following merchants who have been classified as ‘major petrol stations’: Ampol, BP, Caltex Woolworths, Gull, Metro, Peak, Safeway Petrol, Shell, United, Woolworths Petrol, 7 Eleven. Exceptions may apply if an individual merchant trading as one of the above named retailers does not accept American Express as a form of payment. Purchases at major supermarket and major petrol station retailers are only eligible for additional points if the transactions are made in Australia.
11. To redeem the Travel Credit, you must have paid the annual fee and minimum payment by the due date. The $200 Travel Credit can be redeemed against any single eligible online travel booking. The Travel Credit can be used for 365 days from the anniversary date and cannot be carried forward to any subsequent year. For bookings less than $200 any unused portion of the Travel Credit will be forfeited, Terms and Conditions apply.
12. Reward Points are governed by the David Jones Storecard and David Jones American Express Reward Points Terms and Conditions and exclusions apply. For full Terms and Conditions go to davidjones.com.au/rewardpoints.
13. Receive complimentary next day delivery to any address within the metropolitan or regional area of the store in which your goods were purchased with the David Jones American Express Platinum Card. Goods must be under 25kg and no larger than 1m x 1m x 1.5m. Excludes orders placed online, gift cards, hampers and fresh food, Wine Club, Gift Registry purchases and large items.
14. Complimentary alterations are available on all women’s and men’s apparel purchased instore on the David Jones American Express Platinum Card. Offer excludes David Jones Bridal. Items cannot be returned or exchanged once altered.
15. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards Gateway program available at membershiprewards.com.au. Certain transactions will earn 0.5 points per dollar with Merchants classified as; ‘government’, including the Australian Taxation Office, the Australian Postal Corporation (Australia Post), federal/state and local government bodies.
16. To redeem the Travel Credit, you must have paid the annual fee and minimum payment by the due date. The $400 Travel Credit can be redeemed against any single eligible online travel booking. The Travel Credit can be used for 365 days from the anniversary date and cannot be carried forward to any subsequent year. For bookings less than $400 any unused portion of the Travel Credit will be forfeited, Terms and Conditions apply.
17. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards Gateway program available at membershiprewards.com.au. You must be a member of the airline partner program, joining fees may apply and points transferred will be subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable airline partner program.
18. Entry into The American Express Lounge is governed by the full Terms and Conditions available at goodgoing.com.au/lounge. All entrants must adhere to the General Conditions of Entry. American Express Explorer Credit Card Members are entitled to two (2) entries into The American Express Lounge per calendar year (1 January to 31 December) for each American Express Card Account. Complimentary access is available for the Card Member’s children between the ages of 2-17. Card Members wishing to bring additional guests may be subject to a charge that is to be processed on the Card Member’s American Express Card.