American Express discourages spamming. You should only send referral messages to friends and family who genuinely want to receive them. By participating in ‘Refer a Friend’, you agree to these ‘Refer a Friend’ terms and conditions:
Only Friends & Family: You must only send referral messages to close friends and family. Do not market or promote this offer through paid advertising channels or to the public at large (i.e. on public blog sites, search engines or in sponsored ads).
Ask Their Permission First: You must ask the person for their permission to send them an email about your Card product. Sending emails to people without consent is considered spam.
The Offer: If you hold an American Express Essential Credit Card, your reward when your friend is approved will be 10,000 Membership Rewards Points. Your friend’s reward will be a $75 Statement Credit when they apply for the American Express Essential Credit Card, are approved, and spend $750 in the first 3 months of Card Membership.
Cap Referrals:You may only send referral messages to a maximum of 20 friends and the amount of Membership Rewards Points you may receive under the ‘Refer a Friend’ program is capped at 200,000 points per year.
- Your friend must apply from the referral link we have given you. If your friend applies from a separate link or applies independently (i.e. if they visit americanexpress.com directly) you will not receive your rewards.
- You will only receive rewards if your friend’s Card application is approved (in accordance with our usual Card application processes and assessments). Note: We will not tell you if your friend’s Card application is approved or declined for privacy and confidentiality reasons.
- You cannot refer a friend who already has one of our cards or has held one in the last 18 months.
- You must be enrolled in Membership Rewards to receive bonus points.
- It may take 8 to 10 weeks to be credited bonus points if you are successful.
Why should I comply?
If you fail to comply with these ‘Refer a Friend’ Terms and Conditions, your participation in the program may be cancelled and you will no longer be eligible for any Membership Rewards Points from the ‘Refer a Friend’ program.
American Express credit approval criteria apply. All information is correct as at 22 September 2016 and is subject to change. This offer is only available to those who reside in Australia. Cards are offered, issued and administered by American Express Australia Limited (ABN 92 108 952 085), Australian Credit Licence No. 291313. ®Registered Trademark of American Express Company.