You can now use your American Express Card to tap on at the Opal card reader and pay for an Adult Opal single trip ticket on Sydney Ferries and the L1 Dulwich Hill Light Rail services.
Your Card is good to go, right now - there's no need to register or activate. When catching the ferry or light rail tap on at an Opal card reader before you travel. You also need to tap off at the end of your trip or you will be charged the maximum fare (except on the F1 Manly to Circular service which is a tap on only service).
Where can you use your Card?
For the moment, you can only use your Card on Sydney Ferries and L1 Dulwich Hill Light Rail route. This technology is currently being trialled on these routes but stay tuned, we’ll let you know about future updates.
Transport for NSW contactless payments are not available on any train or bus services, or on any privately operated ferries, such as MyFastFerry (formerly Manly Fast Ferry).
A few tips about your Tap
- Each tap of your Card can be used for Adult Opal single trip ticket. Sydney Ferries and the Sydney Light Rail require you to tap on and tap off. The F1 Manly to Circular service does not require a tap off when you disembark the ferry.
- Your Card can only be used to tap on for one passenger. If you are in a family or group, for example, each passenger will need their own Card or will need an Adult Opal single trip ticket or use an Opal card.
- Also, just like any other payment you wouldn’t tap your whole wallet, so it's a good idea to remove your American Express Card from your wallet or purse and clearly present it to the reader. This will prevent 'card clash' with other cards.
- And if you see any pending $1 charges on your mobile wallet, online Account or app, don't worry. These are just pre-authorisation charges, and no money will be taken. Only the final fare will be billed to your Account.
- You'll find more info here in the FAQs.
Tap on and off securely
Tapping your Card is as safe and secure as any other payment you make with your Card. Your trips will be calculated at the end of each day and each trip you have taken will appear as an individual charge.
What about Cards that aren't Cards?
If you use mobile wallet, or a wearable, you can still tap on the Sydney Ferries or the L1 Dulwich Hill Light Rail services. Just present your device to the Opal reader as usual and head on through.
Your Card is tokenised in a mobile wallet meaning your Card details are not saved to your device. To see how to set up your American Express issued Card on Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay™ go here.