The American Express® Platinum Card
Cards are offered, issued, and administered by American Express Australia Limited ABN 92 108 952 085.
American Express income and credit approval criteria applies. Subject to Terms and Conditions. Fees and charges apply. All information, including fees and charges are correct as at 1 December 2018 and are subject to change. Applicants must be 18 years of age or over, reside in Australia and earn a minimum income of $100,000 per annum to apply for the American Express Platinum Card.
This product is only available to AMA members.
1. Bonus Points Offer. Offer only available to new American Express Card Members, who are AMA members, apply, are approved and spend $3,000 on their new Card in the first 3 months from the Card approval date. Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any Card product issued by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 18 month period are ineligible for this offer. Previous and existing bank-issued American Express companion cardholders are eligible for this offer (cards issued by: Australia New Zealand Banking Group Limited, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, National Australia Bank, Westpac Banking Corporation). 100,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points will be awarded to the eligible Card Member’s account 8-10 weeks after the spend criteria has been met. This advertised offer is not applicable or valid in conjunction with any other advertised or promotional offer.
2. Platinum Travel Credit. Existing Primary Platinum Card Members are eligible for one Travel Credit of $300 per year on annual Card fee renewal date, increasing to $450 from 1 November 2018 upon fee renewal. For new Primary Platinum Card Members who applied on or after 17 July 2018, you are eligible for one Travel Credit of $450 per year which is available upon Card fee renewal date each year of Card Membership. Travel Credit can be redeemed against any single eligible travel booking when booking online through americanexpress.com.au/platinumtravel or by phone through your Platinum Travel Service. Additional Platinum Card Members and American Express Platinum Business Cards are not eligible for this benefit. The Travel Credit can be used for 365 days from date of issue and cannot be carried forward to any subsequent year. Card Members are only able to redeem one Travel Credit per booking. If a Primary Platinum Card Member holds more than one Travel Credit across multiple American Express® Cards, the Card Member can choose which Travel Credit they would like to redeem against their booking. If the full Travel Credit amount is not redeemed against a single travel booking then the remaining amount will be forfeited. Refunds and changes may be permitted based on supplier terms and conditions. The amount refunded will be the value of the booking, less supplier fees and the Travel Credit contributed by American Express. There is no refund on the Travel Credit. Your travel credit for that year will be forfeited if you cancel your booking. Booking amendment fees may apply. Membership Rewards points will not be earned on the Travel Credit. An eligible travel booking includes Flight, Hotel, Car Hire and Experiences bookings only. Travel Credit may not be used towards Cruises and may not be used towards Hotel and Car Hire bookings where payment is made directly to the supplier (i.e. FINE HOTELS & RESORTS). Travel services provided by American Express International, Inc. ABN 15 000 618 208. Incorporated with Limited Liability in Delaware, USA.
3. Global Lounge Collection:
The Centurion Lounge Network. Platinum Card Members have unlimited complimentary access to all locations of The Centurion Lounge. Gold Card and Green Card Additional Cards on your Platinum Card account are not eligible for complimentary access. Platinum Card Members may bring up to two (2) companions into The Centurion Lounge. To access The Centurion Lounge, the Platinum Card Member must present The Centurion Lounge agent with the following upon each visit: his or her valid Card, a boarding pass showing a confirmed reservation for same-day travel on any carrier and a government-issued I.D. Failure to present this documentation may result in access being denied. Card Members will not be compensated for changes in locations, rates or policies. A Platinum Card Member must be at least 18 years of age to enter without a parent or legal guardian. For locations with a self-service bar, the Platinum Card Member must be of legal drinking age in the location’s jurisdiction to enter without a parent or legal guardian. Must be of legal drinking age to consume alcoholic beverages. Please drink responsibly. American Express reserves the right to remove any person from the Lounge for inappropriate behaviour or failure to adhere to rules, including, but not limited to, conduct that is disruptive, abusive or violent. Access is subject to space availability. Hours may vary by location and are subject to change. Amenities vary among The Centurion Lounge locations and are subject to change. Services and amenities in the Lounge are complimentary, however you are responsible for any purchases and/or servicing charges you authorise our Member Services Professionals to perform on your behalf. Some American Express Cards are not eligible for all services provided by Member Services Desk. American Express will not be liable for any articles lost or stolen or damages suffered by the purchaser or visitor inside The Centurion Lounge. Use of The Centurion Lounge is subject to all rules and conditions set by American Express. American Express reserves the right to revise the rules at any time without notice.
International American Express Lounges. Platinum Card Members have unlimited complimentary access to American Express Lounge locations. Guest access policies vary by location and are subject to change. Fees may apply for additional guests. To access American Express Lounges, the Platinum Card Member must present the agent with the following upon each visit: his or her valid Card and upon request, same-day airline ticket on any carrier and a government-issued I.D. Failure to present this documentation may result in access being denied. Platinum Card Members will not be compensated for changes in locations, rates or policies. American Express reserves the right to remove any person from a lounge for inappropriate behavior or failure to adhere to lounge rules, including, but not limited to, conduct that is disruptive, abusive or violent. Access is subject to space availability. Amenities, services and hours of operation may vary among locations and are subject to change.
Priority Pass. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Priority Pass™ program. Priority Pass is an independent airport lounge access program. Primary Platinum Card Members and one nominated Additional Platinum Card Member per Account are eligible for Priority Pass membership. At any visit to a Priority Pass lounge that admits guests, you may bring in one guest at no charge. You will be charged the prevailing retail rate for any additional guests. Some lounges do not admit guests. Both the Primary and Additional Platinum Card Members must enrol into Priority Pass and may access participating Priority Pass lounges by presenting your Priority Pass card and airline boarding pass. In some lounges, Priority Pass member must be 21 years of age to enter without a parent or guardian. Amenities may vary among airport lounge locations. Conference rooms, where available, may be reserved for a nominal fee. Priority Pass lounge partners and locations are subject to change. All Priority Pass members must adhere to the Priority Pass Conditions of Use, including house rules of participating lounges, and can be viewed at prioritypass.com. Please allow 4-6 weeks from enrolment to receive your Priority Pass card and membership package.
Plaza Premium. Platinum Card Members (and Additional Platinum Card Members) are entitled to complimentary access to the Plaza Premium lounges. The Platinum Card Member may bring up to 2 guests into the lounge at no additional cost. All lounge access fees for additional guest visits will be charged directly to the Platinum Card Member's Card, and at the prevailing retail rate, per person, per visit. Lounge access to infants under two years of age is complimentary. To access the Plaza Premium lounges, the Platinum Card Member must present the agent with the following upon each visit: his or her valid Card and upon request, same-day or following day boarding pass on any carrier and a government-issued I.D. Failure to present this documentation may result in access being denied. Platinum Card Member must be at least 18 years of age to enter without a parent or guardian where there is a self-service bar. Plaza Premium Lounge reserves the right to remove any person from a lounge for inappropriate behaviour or failure to adhere to lounge rules, including, but not limited to, conduct that is disruptive, abusive or violent. Access is subject to space availability and is not guaranteed. The full Plaza Premium Lounge Facilities Terms and Conditions are available at https://www.plaza-network.com/terms. Facilities, amenities, services and hours of operation may vary among locations and are subject to change. Terms and Conditions are subject to change without prior notice.
Delta Sky Club. The Platinum Card Member must present his or her valid American Express Platinum Card, government-issued I.D., and same-day corresponding airline ticket to club ambassador. Access to Delta Sky Club partner lounges is not permitted. Individuals must be at least 18 years of age to access Delta Sky Club, and 21 years of age to access locations with a self-service bar, unless accompanied by a responsible, supervising adult who has access to the lounge. Platinum Card Members must adhere to all House Rules of participating clubs. Participating airport clubs and locations subject to change without notice. Additional guest access and fees subject to terms and conditions of participating airport clubs. For the most current Delta Sky Club access and pricing policy, please visit Delta.com/skyclub. All Delta Sky Club rules apply to Delta Sky Club membership and use. To review the rules, please visit Delta.com/skyclub.
Virgin Australia Lounge. Access is complimentary for Primary Platinum Card Member and one complimentary guest only. The Primary Platinum Card Member and guest must be travelling with Virgin Australia domestically. Access is to Virgin Australia-branded lounges in Australia only. Name on boarding pass must match the name on the Platinum Card. The Platinum Card Member and guest must present his or her valid Card and same-day departing flight boarding pass (containing your Virgin Australia Velocity Frequent Flyer number and status) to Virgin Australia lounge agents. One guest per Primary Platinum Card Member permitted, children are classified as a guest. Guest must be travelling on same Virgin Australia flights and present boarding pass. All access is subject to space availability. This benefit is subject to change.
In some Lounges the Platinum Card Member must be at least 18 years of age to enter without a parent or guardian. Age restrictions for the service of alcohol also vary between Lounges. American Express will not be liable for any articles lost or stolen or damages suffered by the purchaser or visitor inside American Express Lounges. Use of American Express Lounges is subject to the local rules and conditions set by American Express and the Lounge operator. American Express and the Lounge operator reserve the right to revise the rules at any time without notice. For details of individual American Express lounge access requirements please visit global.americanexpress.com/lounge-access/the-platinum-card.
4. International Airline Program. Current Partners: American Airlines, British Airways, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Emirates, Hawaiian Airlines, Japan Airlines, LAN Airlines, Qantas Airways, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, United Airlines and Virgin Australia. Terms: The featured savings included are calculated based on full-priced retail year-round airfares from Australia to select destinations with Virgin Australia in Business (J) Class. Savings are calculated on the base fare and excludes airline taxes. Prices are subject to availability and subject to change. All airfares must be purchased through the Platinum Travel Service and paid for on the Platinum Card. Airfares at sale prices may be released in the market at any time and reduce the featured savings. Fare rules are dependent on the airline’s Terms
5. FINE HOTELS & RESORTS. *Average value based on FINE HOTELS & RESORTS bookings in 2016 for stays of two nights. Actual value will vary based on property, room rate, upgrade availability, and use of benefits. Valid only for new FINE HOTELS & RESORTS bookings made through Platinum Travel Service or American Express Travel Online. Online bookings currently only available to Primary Platinum Card Members. Payment must be made in full with an American Express® Platinum Card in the Platinum Card Member’s name. Available for Platinum Charge Card Members only, and excludes Platinum Credit Card Members who are not also Platinum Charge Card Members. Card Member must travel on itinerary booked to be eligible for benefits described. Noon check-in and room upgrade are based on availability and are provided at check-in. Breakfast amenity varies by property, but will be, at a minimum, a continental breakfast. Complimentary In-Room Wi-Fi is provided, with the exception of explora Patagonia where In-Room Wi-Fi is not available. In this instance, complimentary Wi-Fi will be provided in a common space on property. In the case where a Property includes cost of Wi-Fi in a mandatory resort fee, the Card Member will receive a daily credit from the Property in the standard amount that the Property charges for Wi-Fi. The credit will be issued on the Platinum Card Member’s final statement upon check-out. Benefit restrictions vary by FINE HOTELS & RESORTS property and cannot be redeemed for cash, and may not be combined with other offers unless indicated. Advance reservations are recommended for services such as spa, dining or golf in order to take advantage of the FINE HOTELS & RESORTS special amenity during your stay. Benefits and additional FINE HOTELS & RESORTS promotions are only applied at checkout and expire at checkout. Limit one benefit package per room, per stay. Three room limit per Platinum Card Member, per stay; back-to-back stays within a 24-hour period at the same property are considered one stay. Participating FINE HOTELS & RESORTS properties and benefits are subject to change
6. Accor Plus. Annual Accor Plus membership is valued at $395 AUD, found at accorplus.com/en/australia as at 18 May, 2018. Enrolment is required and available until 16 April 2021. Accor Plus benefit is available only to the Primary Platinum Card Member. Complimentary membership is annual within the benefit validity after which standard eligibility criteria applies. Membership privileges will only be granted on presentation of valid Accor Plus membership card and member must identify themselves as an Accor Plus member at time of booking. American Express reserves the right to instruct AccorHotels to cancel your membership if you cease to be a Platinum Card Member or your account is not in good standing. Visit accorplus.com for full membership conditions, benefits and participating properties. Complimentary room nights are limited each night per participating property and must be made by visiting and booking through accorhotels.com. Enrolment in the Le Club AccorHotels program is required to receive Silver tier benefits. Benefits are subject to change. Benefits are subject to availability and may vary by property. To view terms and conditions visit leclubaccorhotels.com. Dining and drinks discounts may not apply to breakfast at selected hotels in Australia, New Zealand, Fiji and French Polynesia; mini bars, room service or pool bars; public holidays or during special events; or children’s menu. 10% best available rate is valid for properties booked online at accorhotels.com using your Accor Plus membership number. Members can book up to two rooms on their Member’s Rate. For more information, please visit accorplus.com/en/australia/benefits/more-sensations. Dining privileges are subject to Accor Plus membership terms and conditions which are found at accorplus.com/en/australia/about/terms-and-conditions.
7. Travel Insurance. The American Express Platinum Card insurance is subject to terms, conditions and exclusions (such as maximum age limits, pre-existing medical conditions and cover limits) - see the full terms and conditions available at americanexpress.com.au/platinuminsurance. You must use your American Express Platinum Card to pay for your return trip in order to be eligible for the travel insurance or pay for eligible items in order to be covered under the insurance. The insurance is underwritten by Chubb Insurance Australia Limited (ABN 23 001 642 020, AFSL No. 239687) under a group policy held by American Express Australia Limited (ABN 92 108 952 085, AFSL No. 291313). Card members are not a party to the group policy, but may be able to claim under it as third party beneficiaries. This communication does not take into account your objectives or financial situation. You should read the full terms and conditions to decide if this insurance meets your needs.
8. Platinum Travel Service. All fees or amounts payable in relation to the services are inclusive of GST where applicable. All fees, taxes and charges levied by the travel providers and/or air travel suppliers still apply and these are subject to change without notice until such time as tickets are issued. Domestic ticketing includes New Zealand. Travel services provided by American Express International, Inc. ABN 15 000 618 208. Incorporated with Limited Liability in Delaware, USA.
9. Hotel Elite Status
You maintain Gold status without meeting otherwise required criteria only while an eligible cardholder or until American Express notifies you that the benefit is terminated. Hilton Honors™ membership, earning and redemption of Points are subject to Hilton Honors Terms & Conditions. All Hampton by Hilton™ hotels in the Republic of China are excluded from the Hilton Honors program. Visit HiltonHonors.com/Terms for more details. Effective April 2, 2018, the Earnings Style Options program, including Points and Points and Points and Miles, is no longer a valid feature of Hilton Honors. Any claims relating to the earning of Points and/or Miles under the Earnings Style Option program after April 2, 2018 are void.
Shangri-La. Enrolment in the Golden Circle Jade Membership program is required. Benefits are subject to change and availability may vary by property (for details visit goldencircle.shangri-la.com). Bookings made with FINE HOTELS & RESORTS rates may enjoy the bonus Golden Circle Award Points under the Golden Circle Program Jade Membership benefits but may not be combined with any other Golden Circle Program benefits. All special amenities under the Golden Circle Program are subject to availability and may change without prior notice. All Golden Circle terms and conditions apply (for details visit Shangri-la.com/corporate/golden-circle/terms-conditions). American Express reserves the right to instruct Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts to cancel your membership if you cease to be a Platinum Card Member or your account is not in good standing. American Express and Shangri-La International Hotel Management Ltd. reserve the right to change the Terms and Conditions at any time without prior notice. Should any dispute arise, the decision of American Express and Shangri-La International Hotel Management Ltd. shall be final. If the English version of these terms and conditions does not conform to any other language version, the English version shall prevail.
Starwood Preferred Guest. Enrolment into the SPG® program is required to receive benefits, and enrolment may be terminated without prior notice. SPG benefits are subject to change and availability and may vary by property. Gold Elite status amenities may not be combined with the FINE HOTELS & RESORTS program. Subject to SPG Program Terms and Conditions available at www.spg.com. American Express reserves the right to instruct SPG to downgrade your membership to the Silver Elite status if you cease to be a Platinum Card Member or your account is not in good standing.
10. Additional Card Members. Additional Platinum Card Members must be 18 years of age or over. Please note Additional Cards are referred to as Supplementary Cards in some Terms and Conditions and marketing materials. The Primary Card Member will be liable to pay for all spend made by Additional Card Members.
11. Membership Rewards. Earning Membership Rewards points is subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards Ascent Premium program available at membershiprewards.com.au/termsandconditions. Earn 3 points per $1 spent at restaurants in Australia. Earn 2 points per $1 spent on airlines, accommodation and spend in foreign currency. Spending at restaurants, airlines and accommodation, major cruise and tour operators may not be eligible for increased Membership Rewards points. For example, dining within a retail department store, hotels, pubs and liquor outlets. Membership Rewards points are awarded on the AUD equivalent amount of the spend in foreign currency. Except for spend in foreign currency; purchases at these merchants are only eligible for additional points if the transactions are made in Australia. The American Express Platinum Card has a points threshold of 300,000 points per year of membership, after which your earn rate will revert to one point per $1 spent (except for spend at merchants where you earn 0.5 points per $1 spent).
12. Points Transfer. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards program available at americanexpress.com.au/membershiprewardsplatinum To transfer Membership Rewards points into an airline rewards or frequent guest partner program, the Primary Platinum Card Member must be a member of the partner program. Membership of the partner program is the Card Member’s responsibility and is subject to the Terms and Conditions of the applicable program. A joining fee may apply.
13. Select + Pay with Points. This is available to primary Card Members enrolled in the Membership Rewards program. A minimum of 1,000 Membership Rewards points must be redeemed at any one time. Any credit to your Card Account cannot exceed the amount of the relevant Eligible Charges or the current outstanding balance on your Account. Certain fees and charges are excluded. Points will be debited immediately and the credit can take up to 72 hours to appear online. Credits processed after the Card account’s statement closing date will appear in the following statement. You are still responsible for payment of the amount due on your Card account by the due date. Subject to the Membership Rewards Terms & Conditions at membershiprewards.com.au/termsandconditions.
14. Shop with Points - David Jones. Subject to the terms and conditions of the American Express Membership Rewards program available at membershiprewards.com.au/termsandconditions and the David Jones Terms and Conditions available at davidjones.com.au Terms and conditions apply to all Membership Rewards redemption options and redemption is subject to availability. Subject to your Account being kept in good standing and not overdue. Only American Express Cards issued by American Express Australia Limited are eligible provided they are enrolled in the Membership Rewards program. Additional Card Members are not eligible for Shop with Points transactions. The Primary Card must be used to complete the transaction. A minimum of 3,000 points must be redeemed at any one time. The amount of Membership Rewards points required to purchase the item(s) is subject to change at any time. For the David Jones Refund Policy please go to davidjones.com.au/return-policy or for online delivery details and prices go to davidjones.com.au/Delivery-information.
15. Gift Cards. Please allow between 7 to 10 days for the Gift Cards to be delivered. Gift Card or voucher rewards are not redeemable or exchangeable for cash or credit. Gift Card validity period varies for each retailer, please visit www.americanexpress.com.au/giftcards to check each Gift Card validity period. Normal retailer Gift Card Terms and Conditions apply. Membership Rewards Terms and Conditions apply.
Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the US and other countries. Apple Pay and Touch ID are trademarks of Apple Inc.
Samsung, Samsung Pay, Galaxy S (and other device names) and Samsung Knox are trademarks or registered trademarks of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. Other company and product names mentioned may be trademarks of the respective owners. Samsung Pay is available on select Samsung devices. Requires an Android phone running Kit Kat (4.4) or higher and supports NFC (Near Field Communication) and HCE (Host Card Emulation).
Google Pay and the Google Logo are trademarks of Google LLC.
American Express Australia Limited (ABN 92 108 952 085). ®Registered Trademark of American Express Company.