Redeem for whatever you love with Use Points for Purchases
There is an easy, convenient way to get more out of Membership Rewards® points – simply charge any eligible purchase to your Card, such as that lunch at a local restaurant or the latest fashion accessory or tech gadget you’ve just treated yourself to. Then log in to redeem your points for a statement credit. You can also use points for travel purchases charged to your Card on flights, hotels, car rentals, cruises, vacation packages and more.
REDEMPTION IS EASY WITH USE POINTS FOR PURCHASES1:
That’s it! A statement credit will be applied to your account usually within 48 hours.
Download the Amex App and simply click on an eligible purchase that has been charged to your Card and redeem points while on the go. Or if you wish to redeem points against an eligible purchase within the last 12 months that is not displayed online, please contact us at the number listed on the back of your Card.
No more guess work with the Fixed Points Travel Program
With the Fixed Points Travel Program2, you can now use your Membership Rewards points to book flights within Canada or to anywhere in the world for a fixed number of points. Plus, you can choose from Economy or Business Class flights.
Last-minute bookings permitted! No blackout dates, no seat restrictions, and no surprises. You have the freedom to book and travel when and where you want, regardless of time of the year or popularity of the flight.
Redeem your points using the Flexible Points Travel Program
With the Flexible Points Travel Program3, your points can be used to pay for new travel purchases, including taxes, surcharges and fees booked through American Express Travel Services or at americanexpress.ca/travel. You can pay with your Card, with your Membership Rewards points or a combination of both. The choice is yours.
1,000 Membership Rewards points = $10 travel credit
Transfer your points to other loyalty programs
Transferring your Membership Rewards points to one of our participating loyalty program partners is the perfect way to ensure that you always get the reward you want*.
You can choose to transfer points to frequent flyer and other loyalty programs4, including Alitalia, British Airways, Delta SkyMiles®, Cathay Pacific, Etihad Guest, Aeroplan®*, Hilton HonorsTM and Marriott BonvoyTM.
Simply link your frequent flyer or hotel program account number to your Membership Rewards account by selecting it from the list of available programs on the Membership Rewards website.
*Use of your points is subject to the Membership Rewards Program Terms and Conditions. Once points are transferred to a third party program, the points are subject to the terms and conditions of the program in which they are held.
1. You can redeem Membership Rewards points for a statement credit towards an Eligible Purchase charged to an Eligible Card. You must redeem a minimum of 1,000 Points per redemption. Redemption rates may vary by Eligible Card. Statement credits on your Card Account should not exceed the aggregate amount of the Eligible Purchase(s) on your Eligible Card. You can register for online services to view your Eligible Purchases and to redeem online. Only Eligible Purchases posted to your Card Account during the last 3 months, up to 150 most recent Eligible Purchases will be displayed for redemption. If you wish to redeem points towards an Eligible Purchase within the last 12 months that is not displayed online, please contact us at the number listed on the back of your Card. Eligible Travel Purchases: 1,000 points=10 statement credit. All other eligible purchases: 1,000 points=$7 statement credit.
For a limited time from April 21 to July 20th, 2020, Eligible Travel Purchases: 1,000 points = $20 statement credit. All Other Eligible purchases: 1,000 points = $20 statement credit.
2. The Fixed Points Travel Program applies to return airfares offered through American Express Travel Services Canada or americanexpress.ca/travel. Card account must be in good standing. To be eligible and be presented with this redemption option, you must have sufficient Membership Rewards Points (“points”) at the time of booking. When booking for multiple travellers on the same itinerary, you must have enough points to cover all travellers. Under the Fixed Points Travel Program, a fixed number of points covers the base ticket price of eligible flights up to the applicable maximum base ticket price. The flight grid includes the fixed number of points with the corresponding applicable maximum base ticket price required per category. The base ticket price (often referred to by airlines as the base fare) excludes taxes, fees and carrier surcharges. You will be charged for these additional costs and any dollar amount that exceeds the applicable maximum base ticket price. If the base ticket price for an eligible flight is below the applicable maximum base ticket price, the difference:
(i) cannot be used to cover taxes, fees or carrier surcharges;
(ii) will not be credited to your Card account; and
(iii) will not be applied to cover additional costs associated with changes or cancellations. The full cost of the flight, including taxes, fees and carrier surcharges will be charged to your Card upon booking. Within 5-10 business days from the date of booking, you will receive a statement credit for the base ticket price up to the applicable maximum base ticket price.
Example 1: A select route requires a redemption of 20,000 points and the maximum base ticket price is $300. If an eligible flight for this route has a base ticket price of $250 plus $100 in taxes, fees and carrier surcharges (total cost of flight amounts to $350), then you will be required to redeem 20,000 points and will be charged $350; you will then receive a statement credit for $250 (the base ticket price).
If you decide to change this booking reservation for a new eligible flight with a higher base ticket price (such as $275), then in addition to all other applicable charges, you will also be required to pay an additional $25 (the difference between $250 and $275) even though the new base ticket price is below the $300 maximum base ticket price.
Example 2: A select route requires a redemption of 20,000 points and the maximum base ticket price is $300. If an eligible flight for this route has a base ticket price of $350 plus $100 in taxes, fees and carrier surcharges (total cost of flight amounts to $450), then you will be required to redeem 20,000 points and will be charged $450; you will then receive a statement credit for $300 (the maximum base ticket price).
You are responsible for any additional charges as a result of any changes or cancellations to your booking. Subject to an airline’s policy, a change or cancellation may result in a credit to your Card account and/or a credit with the respective airline. In neither case will the points you redeemed for this flight be returned to you. Flight availability and prices of flights are subject to availability and set by the airlines. Eligible routes are based on the International Air Transport Association airport code classification.
If the American Express Installment Program applies to you and you also redeem points for one or more transactions, the Installment Program will take precedence and the credit will apply to your account in the regular course. This could result in you having a credit balance on your account. If you want to reduce the credit balance, you can cancel any active installment plans you may have. See the Installment Program terms and conditions in your Cardmember Agreement for details, if applicable.
American Express can suspend or terminate the Fixed Points Travel Program at any time it deems necessary, and reserves the right to change these Terms and Conditions, including but not limited to the flight grid above, at any time.
The Terms and Conditions of the American Express Membership Rewards Program will continue to apply. Visit membershiprewards.ca to view the full Membership Rewards Program Terms and Conditions. In the event of a conflict, these Terms and Conditions prevail for the Fixed Points Travel Program.
3. Membership Rewards points are accepted as payment for a wide range of travel options through American Express Travel Services. Membership Rewards points can be used to pay for new travel purchases, including taxes and surcharges. Membership Rewards points are not refundable. Membership Rewards points have no cash value. Travel selections are based on available space and are subject to terms and conditions of travel suppliers. For car rental companies and hotels that do not accept prepaid bookings, contact American Express Travel Services at 1-800-611-1100 or (416) 868-4992 for details about how you can use your Membership Rewards points. In order to redeem points for any travel booking, the Membership Rewards Program account must be active and the Card must be in good standing. If the American Express Installment Program applies to you and you also redeem points for one or more transactions, the Installment Program will take precedence and the credit will apply to your account in the regular course. This could result in you having a credit balance on your account. If you want to reduce the credit balance, you can cancel any active installment plans you may have. See the Installment Program terms and conditions in your Cardmember Agreement for details, if applicable. Bookings are also subject to American Express Travel Terms and Conditions. To view these please visit americanexpress.ca/termsandconditions.
4. Point transfer ratios vary by participant and transfers can take up to 5 days. Other terms apply. Visit membershiprewards.ca for details.
To use your MR Points to purchase eligible items at Amazon.ca, your eligible Membership Rewards program account (“MR Points Account”) must be linked to your Amazon.ca account through the enrollment process. We reserve the right to restrict your use of Shop with Points or to un-enroll your MR Points Account by de-linking it from your Amazon.ca account at any time in our sole discretion, including when we suspect misuse or fraud. You agree that Amazon.com.ca, Inc. and its affiliates (collectively, “Amazon”) may share information that you have provided to Amazon with Amex Bank of Canada and its affiliates (collectively, “Amex”). Amex may share information with Amazon regarding your Membership Rewards points account for the sole purpose of managing and facilitating the Shop With Points program using membership rewards points. This information sharing allows us to link your Amazon.ca account to your MR Points Account and, once enrolled, Amex may provide Amazon with information about your MR Points Account, including your total MR Points balance. We may also share information that you have provided to Amazon with Amex so that Amex can perform its functions with respect to the Shop with Points program, including processing payments made with MR Points. Neither Amazon or Amex will use information provided to it by the other party in upport of the Shop With Points program for any purpose other than as expressly set forth in this paragraph.
Certain items at Amazon.ca are not eligible for purchase using MR Points, and these items may change at any time. MR Points may not be used when making purchases with 1-Click. If you do not have enough MR Points to pay for your eligible purchase, you can pay for the remainder with the Amex credit or charge card linked to your MR Points Account, or an Amazon.ca Gift Certificate. Your MR Points balance will typically be reduced to reflect the amount of your purchase at the time of your order, but in some cases it may not reflect your use of MR Points for pending purchase transactions until the purchase has shipped or otherwise been fulfilled. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have enough MR Points in your MR Points Account at the time your MR Points are ultimately redeemed. If you don’t have enough MR points remaining in your MR Points account at the time they are to be redeemed, you will be required to authorize another payment method. Your Amex credit or charge card will not be charged automatically. MR Points may not currently be combined with other rewards programs to make eligible purchases using Shop with Points at Amazon.ca.
Returns are subject to Amazon’s returns policy. If Amazon accepts a return for an item you purchased using only MR Points, those MR Points will be credited to your Points Account. If Amazon accepts a return for an item you purchased using MR Points and another payment method, Amazon may, in its sole discretion, credit the return to the other payment method before crediting MR Points to your MR Points Account. This is different from the order in which payment methods (MR points, Amex credit and charge card and stored value card) are applied at the time of purchase. See ordering section of the FAQ for details. If you no longer have an active MR points account or, if applicable, Amex credit or charge card, Amazon may process your return by providing you with an Amazon gift card.
6. To redeem your points on Ticketmaster.ca, you can redeem 2,000 Membership Rewards Points is equal to $20 in Ticketmaster Credit. To qualify:
- You must charge your purchase to an eligible American Express Card enrolled in the Canadian Membership Rewards program.
- Your American Express Card account(s) must be in good standing.
- You must have available the minimum number of Membership Rewards points indicated to redeem for this purchase.
- Your American Express Card account will be charged for that day’s purchase.
If you qualify, American Express will debit Membership Rewards points from your program account and issue a credit for the corresponding dollar amount to the Card account charged for your ticket purchase. Credits may not appear during the same billing period as the charge for your ticket purchase. If the points redeemed do not cover the entire amount of the charge for your ticket purchase, the charge for the balance of the purchase will remain on your Card account. Ticket purchases failing to qualify for Membership Rewards point redemption will remain charged to your American Express Card account and are subject to the venue’s and Ticketmaster’s no refund/no exchange policy.
- Permitted returns of Ticketmaster tickets that result in a credit on your Card account will not automatically result in a credit to your Membership Rewards account. In order to receive a Membership Rewards credit, please call the number on the back of your Card.
- If you use an eligible American Express Credit Card, please note that a Membership Rewards redemption credit to your Card account is not considered a payment. You must still make a separate payment in accordance with your Cardmember Agreement.
7. Membership Rewards points can be redeemed for Gift Cards, Certificates and other merchandise. The Gift Card or Certificate is subject to the Terms and Conditions indicated on the reward. For Full Membership Rewards Terms & Conditions, visit membershiprewards.ca or call 1-800-668-2639.
®, TM: Used by Amex Bank of Canada under license from American Express. Copyright ©: AMEX Bank of Canada, 2018.