Looking for great rewards and financial flexibility? An American Express® Charge Card could be the solution.
For the financially savvy consumer, a charge card makes good sense – it has no pre-set spending limit on purchases1 and because your balance must be paid in full each month, many people find that a charge card helps them control spending. Your purchases are approved based on a variety of factors, including your credit record, account history and personal resources.
You are a Canadian resident and have a Canadian credit file.
You are of the age of majority in the province or territory of the residence
Some Cards may have additional specific eligibility criteria, and you will be asked to provide employment, income and bank account information in order to submit your application.
Once you have found the American Express Charge Card that suits you best, make sure you read the important information, then hit the 'Apply now' button to begin the application process.
Travel Rewards Cards
Enjoy all the benefits, convenience and security of an American Express® Card - with the added bonus of earning points for travel when you use your Card.
AIR MILES Credit Cards
Get all the convenience and security of an American Express Card while earning AIR MILES®** reward miles.
Any place can be your happy place with the remarkable benefits, rewards, and bonus offers available with our new American Express® Aeroplan®* Cards.*
Cash Back Credit Cards
Get all the convenience and security of an American Express Card while earning cash back on all your eligible purchases with the card.
No Annual Fee Credit Cards
Want a Credit Card that meets your needs without having to pay an annual fee?
1. Having no pre-set spending limit on purchases does not mean unlimited spending. Your purchases are approved based on a variety of factors, including your credit history, account history, and personal resources. Proof of resources and security may be required.
2. These offers are only available to new American Express® Aeroplan®* Reserve Cardmembers. For current or former American Express Aeroplan Reserve Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for the Welcome Offers. Offers subject to change. Account must be in good standing. 30,000 Aeroplan Points
To qualify for the welcome bonus of 30,000 Aeroplan points, you must have at least $3,000 in net purchases posted to your account on or before your three (3) month anniversary date. Please allow up to eight weeks from the date the bonus points were earned for the bonus to be awarded. Offer subject to change. 60,000 Monthly Bonus Points
To qualify for the monthly bonus of 5,000 Aeroplan points in the first 12 months of Cardmembership, eligible American Express® Aeroplan®* Reserve Cardmembers must have at least $1,000 in net purchases posted to their account each month by the last day of each billing period. Up to a maximum of 60,000 Aeroplan points can be earned. Purchases made during a billing period but posted after the end of that billing period will not count towards eligible spend for that month and count towards eligible spend for the next billing period. For example, if your monthly billing period is from Aug 15 to Sept 14, a purchase made on Sept 14th (transaction date) and posts on Sept 15th (posting date) will not count for eligible spend for that month and will count towards spend in the next month's billing period. If the Aug 15 to Sept 14 period was your 12th monthly billing period, then the purchase that was made on Sept 14 and posted on Sept 15 would not count toward this offer. Account must be in good standing. Please allow up to eight weeks for your bonus points to be awarded. Bonus Buddy Pass
The one-time bonus Buddy Pass entitles a companion to accompany the Basic Cardmember, when the Basic Cardmember books and pays for a published economy fare (plus taxes and third-party charges) on a flight marketed and operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Rouge or under the Air Canada Express brand and is booked for travel within North America.Basic Cardmembers can earn one (1) bonus Buddy Pass after spending $3,000 in net purchases (less any returns, credits and adjustments) posted to the Basic Cardmember’s card account in the first three (3) months of Cardmembership.
The pass will be deposited into the Basic Cardmember’s Aeroplan account 8-10 weeks after the pass is earned.
This one-time bonus Buddy Pass offer is only available to eligible Aeroplan Cardmembers. You will not be eligible for the Buddy Pass if you have previously opened an Aeroplan credit or charge card of the same type, regardless of the credit or charge card issuer and have received the Welcome Bonus offer of a bonus Buddy Pass in the last 12 months. This offer is subject to change and cannot be combined with any other offers. The Basic Cardmember’s account must be and remain active (not cancelled) and in good standing in order to receive and retain the pass.
Total pricing of fees and charges (referred to as third-party charges) and taxes on the Buddy Pass ticket varies based on itinerary booked. Basic Cardmember may use the pass only once for travel wholly within North America, which is defined as Canada and United States (including Hawaii and Mexico).
The pass is valid for 12 months from the date of issuance. The pass is valid towards a new booking only, and not valid on existing reservations. Bookings must be made directly with Air Canada, via aircanada.com, the Air Canada Mobile App, or through the Air Canada call center (“Air Canada Reservations”).Maximum of one pass may be used per booking. If one-way travel is booked, the pass will be deemed fully used and the return portion of travel is forfeited.
The companion will be responsible to pay all applicable taxes and third-party charges that apply. Valid for travel at any time with no blackout periods. Also valid against the purchase of economy fares on sale.The companion will be booked into same fare brand as Basic Cardmember and will receive all applicable benefits and services associated with that fare brand. The pass may not be used against the purchase of premium cabin fares, or in conjunction with Aeroplan flight rewards, Flight Pass, group travel bookings, Air Canada Vacations bookings, or any other discounts or promotion codes.
The pass must be redeemed at time of purchase of the Basic Cardmember’s ticket, and if multiple Buddy Passes are available in association with the same Aeroplan number, the pass that would expire first will be used. Booking must be made before the pass expiry date; travel may occur after the pass expiry date subject to flight schedule availability at the time of booking.
The pass may only be used as described, cannot be transferred and has no monetary or exchange value. Changes or cancellations are allowed according to the fare rules of the fare purchased.Changes and cancellations must be made at the same time for both the Basic Cardmember and the companion, and failure to do so may result in the Buddy Pass being forfeited. If during a change or cancellation the ticket is reinstated in the Basic Cardmember’s Aeroplan account, the original expiry date will take effect and the pass may then be considered expired. In the event of a change or cancellation, travelers are required to pay all applicable fees based on the fare type purchased for each ticket, plus the difference in fare, if applicable, and all taxes and third-party charges that apply above the base fare.Companions who are members of the Aeroplan program or other partner frequent flyer programs will not be eligible to accumulate points and/or miles for the ticket issued in exchange for the pass. Aeroplan Elite Status benefits and upgrades are applicable if the traveler holds appropriate status and the fare purchased allows for such benefits and upgrades.
Air Canada reserves the right to apply additional fees for bookings made via Air Canada Reservations. Unused passes will automatically be cancelled on the date the credit or charge card is closed, regardless of reason for closure, or if the card account is changed to a different product.
Terms and conditions of the air transportation services are subject to the General Conditions of Carriage & Tariffs (www.aircanada.com/conditionsofcarriage) and any other terms and conditions relating to air transportation services in effect at the time of booking, as determined by Air Canada in its sole discretion and as may be changed from time to time.
3. The following terms and conditions apply to the Advance your Status Offer (the “Offer”) that will take place from July 12, 2021 to November 30, 2021 (“Offer Period”):
To qualify for this Offer you must apply for a new American Express® Aeroplan®* Reserve Card or American Express® Aeroplan®* Business Reserve Card by October 1, 2021 and have at least $10,000 in qualifying net purchases (the “eligible minimum spend requirements”) charged to your card account during the Offer period and subsequently posted to your account by December 7, 2021. Supplementary Card purchases associated with the Offer are qualifying purchases and count towards the total combined spend threshold. The end date of October 1, 2021 is only applicable to the Advance your Status Offer and does not apply to other bonus point offers which are subject to different Offer end dates.
Members who held an Aeroplan premium credit card on July 11, 2021, regardless of the credit card issuer are not eligible for this Offer.
The following do not qualify as eligible purchases: Welcome Bonuses, Cash Advances, Balance Transfers, Convenience Cheques, fees, interest, payments and Aeroplan points redemptions. Refunds, rebates or credits on the account will cancel this Offer if the “eligible minimum spend requirements” are not met over the Offer Period.The higher Aeroplan EliteTM* Status or Bonus Status Qualifying Miles, Bonus Status Qualifying Segments and Bonus Status Qualifying Dollars will be awarded by January 31, 2022.
Depending on your Aeroplan Elite Status level as of November 30, 2021, and provided the “eligible minimum spend requirements” are met by November 30, 2021, the following Offer conditions apply:
Members with no Elite Status on November 30, 2021 will earn Elite 25K Status valid through December 31, 2022.
Members with Elite 25K Status on November 30, 2021 will earn Elite 35K Status valid through December 31, 2022.
Members with Elite 35K Status on November 30, 2021 will earn Elite 50K Status valid through December 31, 2022.
Members with Elite 50K Status on November 30, 2021 will earn Elite 75K Status valid through December 31, 2022.
Members with Elite 75K Status or Super Elite on November 30, 2021 will receive a 25,000 Bonus Status Qualifying Miles, 25 Bonus Status Qualifying Segments and $3,000 Bonus Status Qualifying Dollars in January 2022 to give them a head start toward their 2023 Elite Status.
American Express® Aeroplan®* Reserve Card or American Express® Aeroplan®* Business Reserve Card account must be open and in good standing on the date by which the offer is awarded. This Offer is not transferable and is not redeemable for cash. Supplementary Cardmembers are not eligible for the Advance your status offer. The Aeroplan member and the Basic Cardmember of the eligible American Express® Aeroplan®* Reserve Card or American Express® Aeroplan®* Business Reserve Card account must be the same person. This Offer may be withdrawn or changed without prior notice at any time. This Offer may be revoked if you appear to be manipulating or abusing it, or are engaged in any suspicious or fraudulent activity, as determined by American Express, Air Canada or Aeroplan in its sole discretion. If you are found to be gaming this offer, Aeroplan or Air Canada have the sole right to revoke the Aeroplan Elite Status earned during the Offer period.
This Offer will be in addition to any other offers available and subject to the respective Spend periods and Offer end dates.
Member must be a Canadian resident with a Canadian address, as reflected on their Aeroplan profile, for the duration of the offer period.
To find out the regular qualification requirements for an Aeroplan Elite Status: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/aeroplan/status/qualification.html
4. The up to $2,900 or more in value is based on the combined total value of: Welcome Bonus of up to 90,000 Aeroplan points are redeemed for a flight(s) (up to $1,800), based on over 70% of current Aeroplan Cardmembers that receive a value of $0.02/points or more when redeeming for a flight as of May 31, 2021. Redemption calculation is based on actual redemptions made by cardholders between the period of November 8, 2020 to May 31, 2021; bonus Buddy Pass with a redemption value as of May 31, 2021 (based on over 70% of cardholders who redeemed the pass and received at least $350 value); free first checked bags for two people on a round-trip in the first year ($120); unlimited Maple Leaf Lounge access in North America ($550), lounge access is subject to availability; Priority PassTM membership ($99 USD annually); Toronto Pearson Discounted Car Care estimated value based on a classic wash for a standard car of $50 CAD. $50CAD X 15% = $7.50; Complimentary Valet Service at Toronto Pearson International Airport ($15); and 15% Discount on Parking at Toronto Pearson International Airport estimated value calculated based on the Daily Park rate of $33 CAD per day. $33 CAD x 15% = $4.95. The up to $2,900 or more in value does not include the Card’s annual fee.Aeroplan points have no cash value but are redeemable under the Aeroplan program for flights and other rewards. The retail value of rewards obtained using Aeroplan points will vary depending on a range of factors including the type of reward issued, details of which may be found at www.aircanada.ca/aeroplan. Aeroplan points may be redeemed only in accordance with the General Terms & Conditions of the Aeroplan program. Full terms and conditions of the Aeroplan Program are available online at https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/aeroplan/legal/terms-and-conditions.html. All offers are contingent on satisfying the criteria outlined in the offer terms and conditions.
5. You can earn Aeroplan points (“points”) for eligible consumer purchases at American Express retail merchants as follows: Earn 3 points for every $1 of eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada. Earn 2 points for every $1 at restaurant, quick service restaurant, coffee shop, and drinking establishments in Canada, and delivery of food in Canada as a primary business, but not including groceries. Eligible Air Canada purchases means only those purchases made directly with Air Canada as the merchant, including Air Canada Vacations packages purchased directly from Air Canada. Air Canada purchases using your card at another merchant or service provider that sells Air Canada goods or services would not be an eligible Air Canada purchase, such as purchasing (i) Air Canada tickets from an online website other than Air Canada, through a travel agent including American Express Travel Services, or as part of a vacation package from another merchant, (ii) Air Canada gift cards, (iii) Air Canada Maple Leaf Club memberships or (iv) if you make a purchase through Air Canada with another merchant such as a hotel or car rental booking on the aircanada.com website. Earn rate of 1.25 points for every $1 applies when the merchant code is not in an eligible category, using a payment account or service of a third party, a card reader attached to a mobile phone or online retailer that sells goods of other merchants or the merchant category is otherwise not identified. Provided your account is in good standing, points can be earned on eligible purchases less returns and other credits. Interest charges, annual fees, other fees and cash equivalent transactions are not purchases and do not qualify for Aeroplan points.
6. These offers are only available to new Platinum Card® Cardmembers (‘Cardmembers’). For current or former Platinum Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for these offers. If you receive points in error, we reserve the right to deduct them from your points balance. Account must be in good standing. To qualify for the 65,000 Welcome Bonus Membership Rewards® points, you must have at least $6,000 in net purchases posted to your account in your first three months of Cardmembership. To qualify for the additional 15,000 points after 14 months of Cardmembership, one (1) purchase of any amount must be charged to your Card within 14 to 17 months of Cardmembership and subsequently posted to your account. For example, if you reach your 12 months of Cardmembership on August 4, 2022, you would have to make a purchase between Oct 4, 2022 and no later than January 4, 2023 to be eligible for the 15,000 bonus points. Please allow up to eight weeks after earning your Membership Rewards points for your Membership Rewards account to be updated. Membership Rewards points will be earned by the Basic Cardmember on the amount of purchases, less credits and adjustments. Interest charges, annual fees, other fees and cash equivalent transactions are not purchases and do not qualify for Membership Rewards points. Offer subject to change at any time.
Standard Earn Rate
You can earn Membership Rewards points (“points”) for eligible consumer purchases at American Express retail merchants as follows: 3 points for every $1 at restaurants, quick service restaurants, coffee shops and drinking establishments in Canada; and 2 points for every $1 for travel services or travel bookings including air, water, rail and road transport, lodging and tour operator sales, but not including local and commuter transportation. Purchases at merchants where these categories are not their primary business such as food delivery services and general merchandise retailers do not qualify. Merchants are typically assigned codes and categorized based on what they sell. Earn rate of 1 point for every $1 applies when the merchant code is not in an eligible category, using a payment account or service of a third party, a card reader attached to a mobile phone or online retailer that sells goods of other merchants or the merchant category is otherwise not identified. Provided your account is in good standing, points can be earned on eligible purchases less returns and other credits. Interest charges, annual fees, other fees and cash equivalent transactions are not purchases and do not qualify for Membership Rewards points.
®,™: Used by Amex Bank of Canada under license from American Express
®*, TM*: For trademark ownership details see: americanexpress.ca/aeroplantrademarks
®**, TM**: Trademarks of AIR MILES International Trading B.V. Used under license by LoyaltyOne, Inc. and Amex Bank of Canada.