- Earn up to 30K Bonus Points2
- 5x the points on eligible eats & drinks1
- 2x the points on eligible travel & transit1
- 1x the points everything else1
- $10 Monthly Fee (the annual interest rate is 19.99% on purchases and 21.99% on funds advances**)
- Access to tickets through Front Of The Line®8 by American Express Invites®8 and regular perks just for Cardmembers9
In your first year as a new Cobalt Cardmember, you can earn 2,500 Membership Rewards® points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $500 in purchases on your Card. This could add up to 30,000 points in a year2.
30,000 POINTS IS ENOUGH FOR:
- $300 in statement credits redeemed towards travel purchases charged to your Card5 or
- $225 in Amex Prepaid Cards3
ACCESS YOUR FIRST COBALT PERK:
Apply by January 13, 2021 and you can earn 10x the points for every $1 you spend on eligible purchases made at Amazon.ca (up to $500) in your first 3 months of Cardmembership.17
Earn 5x points on eligible eats & drinks, including restaurants, bars, grocery stores and food delivery in Canada1.
Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on eligible transit & gas purchases in Canada and eligible travel purchases¹.
Earn 1 point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else¹.
The freedom to redeem on things you want is another way we’ve got your back.
Similar to how you pay monthly for streaming services, Cobalt Cardmembers will pay a monthly fee of $10**.
Additional Cards can be added to your account for FREE7. So, add that special someone to your account to help you rack up points even faster on their Card purchases.
The annual interest rate is 19.99% on purchases and 21.99% on funds advances**.
See Cobalt Perks
Sometimes things happen. Whether you’re backpacking overseas or shopping around the corner, your Card comes with travel & shopping related benefits that can keep you covered.
Can provide coverage of up to a maximum of $5,000,000 for eligible emergency medical expenses incurred by an insured person under age 65 while travelling outside your Canadian province or territory of residence for the first 15 consecutive days of a covered trip.
You can receive up to $500 in coverage (aggregate maximum with Baggage Delay Insurance) for necessary and reasonable accommodations, restaurant expenses and sundry items purchased within 48 hours when delayed or denied boarding for 4 hours or more and no alternate transportation is made available when you fully charge your airline ticket to your American Express Cobalt™ Card.
You can receive up to $500 in coverage (aggregate maximum with Flight Delay Insurance), for reasonable and necessary emergency purchases for essential clothing and sundry items purchased within four days of arrival at your destination when your checked-in baggage on your outbound trip is delayed for 6 or more hours when you fully charge your airline ticket to your American Express Cobalt™ Card.
You can receive up to $500 in coverage against the loss of most personal items (excluding cash) if your accommodation is burglarized when you fully charge your accommodations to your American Express Cobalt™ Card.
You can be covered for loss or damage to your checked-in or carry-on baggage and personal effects while in transit for up to a maximum of $500 per trip for all insured person(s) combined when you fully charge your airline tickets to your American Express Cobalt™ Card.
You can be covered for theft, loss and damage of your rental car with an MSRP of up to $85,000 for rentals of 48 days or less when you fully charge your rental to your American Express Cobalt™ Card. To take advantage of this protection, simply decline the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) or similar option offered by the car rental agency.
You can be covered up to $250,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance when you fully charge your common carrier (plane, train, ship or bus) tickets to your American Express Cobalt™ Card.
You can be insured for eligible items charged to your American Express Cobalt™ Card for 90 days from the date of purchase in the event of accidental physical damage or theft for up to $1,000 per occurrence (for all purchased items combined).
Your coverage can automatically extend the manufacturer’s original warranty up to one additional year when you fully charge eligible items to your American Express Cobalt™ Card.
Use the Cobalt Card online or off, and you won't be held responsible for any fraudulent charges, as long as you've taken reasonable care to protect your account details and PIN.
Your life doesn’t keep regular office hours, so neither do we. Our dedicated customer service team always has someone available to talk about whatever you need, wherever you are in the world.
New/existing account inquiries, lost or stolen cards:
**Subject to approval. The preferred rate for purchases is 19.99% and funds advances is 21.99%. If you have Missed Payments, the applicable rates for your account will be 23.99% and/or 26.99%. See the information box included with the application for the definition of Missed Payment and which rates apply to charges on your account and other details.
1. You can earn Membership Rewards points for eligible consumer purchases at American Express retail merchants as follows: Earn 5 points for every $1 at (i) restaurant, quick service restaurant, coffee shop and drinking establishments in Canada, (ii) stand-alone grocery stores in Canada, (iii) delivery of food and groceries in Canada as a primary business, up to a combined maximum of $30,000 in net purchases posted to your account annually on these categories. Once the maximum is reached, you will no longer earn at 5 points for every $1 regardless of credits, returns and adjustments. Earn 1 point for every $1 thereafter. Calculation resets to zero each year on the Cardmembership anniversary date. Earn 2 points for every $1 at or for (i) stand-alone automobile gasoline stations in Canada, (ii) travel services or travel bookings including air, water, rail and road transport, lodging and tour operator sales, (iii) local commuter transportation in Canada including subway, streetcar, taxi, limousine and ride sharing services. Purchases at merchants where these categories are not their primary business such as general merchandise retailers do not qualify. Merchants are typically assigned codes and categorized based on what they sell. Earn rate of 1 point for every $1 applies when the merchant code is not in an eligible category, using a payment account or service of a third party, a card reader attached to a mobile phone, or online retailer that sells goods of other merchants, or the merchant category is otherwise not identified. Interest charges, annual fees, other fees and cash equivalent transactions are not purchases and do not qualify for Membership Rewards points.
2. This offer is only available to new American Express Cobalt Cardmembers. For current or former American Express Cobalt Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for the Membership Rewards points offers available in the first 12 months of Cardmembership. Offer subject to change. To qualify, you must have at least $500 in net purchases posted to your account by the last day of each billing period. Purchases made during a billing period but posted after the end of that billing period may not count towards eligible spend for that month. If this occurs, that purchase will count towards eligible spend for the next billing period. For example, if your monthly billing period is from Aug 15 to Sept 14, a purchase made on Sept 14th (transaction date) and posts on Sept 15th (posting date) may not count for eligible spend for that month. In this case, that purchase will count towards spend in the next month’s billing period. Account must be in good standing. Please allow up to eight weeks for your bonus points to be awarded.
3. Funds do not expire. For use in Canada, U.S. and other countries that accept American Express Cards.
For more information on Terms and Conditions call 1-833-350-2461 or visit AmexPrepaidCard.com
Use at merchants in Canada, U.S., and other countries that accept American Express® Cards except for any other merchants or transactions that American Express may determine from time to time. Usage in certain countries may at times be restricted by law. This Card is not eligible for protection under any Zero Liability policy. Funds do not expire. The Card cannot be used at ATMs. Not redeemable for cash, except where required by law. Additional limitations apply, including restrictions on use of the Card for recurring billing. Read enclosed Cardholder Agreement for complete terms and conditions, including a binding individual arbitration clause. Replacement Card issued only to the extent of available funds at time of notification. For customer service, call 1-833-350-2461. For balance inquiries, current Cardholder Agreement, and additional information visit AmexPrepaidCard.com. Card balance not insured by the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC). Card issued by Peoples Trust Company pursuant to a license from American Express.
For Full Membership Rewards Terms & Conditions, click here or call 1-800-668-2639. Corporate Cardmembers, please call 1-800-716-6661.
To use your MR Points to purchase eligible items at Amazon.ca, your eligible Membership Rewards program account (“MR Points Account”) must be linked to your Amazon.ca account through the enrollment process. We reserve the right to restrict your use of Shop with Points or to un-enroll your MR Points Account by de-linking it from your Amazon.ca account at any time in our sole discretion, including when we suspect misuse or fraud.
You agree that Amazon.com.ca, Inc. and its affiliates (collectively, “Amazon”) may share information that you have provided to Amazon with Amex Bank of Canada and its affiliates (collectively, “Amex”). Amex may share information with Amazon regarding your Membership Rewards points account for the sole purpose of managing and facilitating the Shop with Points program using membership rewards points. This information sharing allows us to link your Amazon.ca account to your MR Points Account and, once enrolled, Amex may provide Amazon with information about your MR Points Account, including your total MR Points balance. We may also share information that you have provided to Amazon with Amex so that Amex can perform its functions with respect to the Shop with Points program, including processing payments made with MR Points. Neither Amazon nor Amex will use information provided to it by the other party in support of the Shop with Points program for any purpose other than as expressly set forth in this paragraph.
Certain items at Amazon.ca are not eligible for purchase using MR Points, and these items may change at any time. MR Points may not be used when making purchases with 1-Click. If you do not have enough MR Points to pay for your eligible purchase, you can pay for the remainder with the Amex credit or charge card linked to your MR Points Account, or an Amazon.ca Gift Certificate. Your MR Points balance will typically be reduced to reflect the amount of your purchase at the time of your order, but in some cases it may not reflect your use of MR Points for pending purchase transactions until the purchase has shipped or otherwise been fulfilled. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have enough MR Points in your MR Points Account at the time your MR Points are ultimately redeemed. If you don’t have enough MR points remaining in your MR Points account at the time they are to be redeemed, you will be required to authorize another payment method. Your Amex credit or charge card will not be charged automatically. MR Points may not currently be combined with other rewards programs to make eligible purchases using Shop with Points at Amazon.ca.
Returns are subject to Amazon’s returns policy. If Amazon accepts a return for an item you purchased using only MR Points, those MR Points will be credited to your Points Account. If Amazon accepts a return for an item you purchased using MR Points and another payment method, Amazon may, in its sole discretion, credit the return to the other payment method before crediting MR Points to your MR Points Account. This is different from the order in which payment methods (MR points, Amex credit and charge card and stored value card) are applied at the time of purchase. See ordering section of the FAQ for details. If you no longer have an active MR points account or, if applicable, Amex credit or charge card, Amazon may process your return by providing you with an Amazon gift card.
If you have questions regarding your Points or your Points Account, please contact American Express on the number listed on the back of your Card.
5. You can redeem Membership Rewards points for a statement credit towards an Eligible Purchase charged to an Eligible Card. You must redeem a minimum of 1,000 Points per redemption. Redemption rates may vary by Eligible Card. Statement credits on your Card Account should not exceed the aggregate amount of the Eligible Purchase(s) on your Eligible Card. You can register for online services to view your Eligible Purchases and to redeem online. Only Eligible Purchases posted to your Card Account during the last 3 months, up to 150 most recent Eligible Purchases will be displayed for redemption. If you wish to redeem points towards an Eligible Purchase within the last 12 months that is not displayed online, please contact us at the number listed on the back of your Card. Eligible Travel Purchases: 1,000 points=10 statement credit. All other eligible purchases: 1,000 points=$7 statement credit.
6. Membership Rewards points are accepted as payment for a wide range of travel options through American Express Travel Services. Membership Rewards points can be used to pay for new travel purchases, including taxes and surcharges. Membership Rewards points are not refundable. Membership Rewards points have no cash value. Travel selections are based on available space and are subject to terms and conditions of travel suppliers. For car rental companies and hotels that do not accept prepaid bookings, contact American Express Travel Services at 1-800-611-1100 or (416) 868-4992 for details about how you can use your Membership Rewards points. In order to redeem points for any travel booking, the Membership Rewards Program account must be active and the Card must be in good standing.
If the American Express Installment Program applies to you and you also redeem points for one or more transactions, the Installment Program will take precedence and the credit will apply to your account in the regular course. This could result in you having a credit balance on your account. If you want to reduce the credit balance, you can cancel any active installment plans you may have. See the Installment Program terms and conditions in your Cardmember Agreement for details, if applicable.
Bookings are also subject to American Express Travel Terms and Conditions. To view these please visit americanexpress.ca/termsandconditions.
7. Account must be in good standing. An additional card is a supplementary card. No annual fee for supplementary cards. Supplementary Cardmembers must be at least 13 years old. Maximum of 9 supplementary cards per account.
8. Purchase must be charged in full to an American Express Card. Subject to availability and to event and ticketing terms, restrictions, verification procedures and fees. Tickets and packages may not be transferable and should not be resold. No refunds and no exchanges subject to merchant's obligations under applicable law.
9. Various offers will be available to Cobalt Cardmembers from time to time. These offers will be communicated by email and other select channels. Conditions apply and vary by offer.
10. Underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada. You may contact the insurer at 1-888-877-1710 in Canada and the U.S. or visit www.rsagroup.ca.
11. Underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada. You may contact the insurer at 1-888-877-1710 in Canada and the U.S. or visit www.rsagroup.ca. This coverage only applies when you are authorized and permitted by law to operate the rental car.
12. Underwritten by Chubb Life Insurance Company of Canada ("Chubb Life"). You may contact the insurer at 1-877-777-1544 in Canada or visit www.chubb.com/ca. Use your Card to book tickets for your spouse, dependent children (under 23) or any Supplementary Cardmember and they can also be covered.
13. Underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada. Applies to eligible items fully charged to your Card worldwide, provided the manufacturer’s warranty is valid in Canada and the U.S. and does not exceed five years. You may contact the insurer at 1-888-877-1710 in Canada and the U.S. or visit www.rsagroup.ca.
14. Fraud Protection Guarantee - Use the American Express Card online or off, and you won’t be held responsible for any fraudulent charges, as long as you’ve taken reasonable care to protect your account details and PIN. Notify us at once if your Card is lost or stolen, or you suspect it is being used without your permission.
15. All references to you means the Basic Cardmember.
16. Your account must be in good standing. If this is a personal referral, you agree to only make recommendations to known friends and family members with whom you have a relationship and who have confirmed to you that they want to receive this communication. If this is a referral in the context of your business, you agree to only make recommendations to business contacts who you know and who have consented to receive this recommendation from you. You must not send recommendations to people you do not know. You can only receive a maximum referral bonus of 75,000 Membership Rewards points per calendar year for approved referrals. Bonus point maximums may change at any time and if you change card products. Should the referral bonus amount change during the calendar year, you may receive a partial bonus depending on the available maximum bonus points. You are not eligible to receive this referral bonus offer if you have already reached your maximum annual referral bonus limit. The referral bonus will be awarded to you based on each eligible referral for which American Express receives an application that is subsequently approved, subject to all applicable terms and conditions. Due to the confidential nature of the approval process, you will not be notified when applications are approved or declined and any individual you have referred must agree to allow your account to be bonused upon approval or you will not receive the referral bonus. If our records indicate that any person you have referred has opted not to receive e-mails from us, your referral will not be sent and you will not receive the referral bonus offered as part of this program. Referral program varies by product and may be modified, suspended, cancelled or otherwise terminated without notice. Cannot be combined with any other offer. If the people that you refer have already applied for the product that you are referring without participating in this program, neither you nor they will be eligible for any referral bonus that may be offered as part of this program. Likewise, if the people you refer decide to apply for a Card through this referral program other than the one you have specifically recommended, the referral bonus for which you and they may be eligible will vary. Referral program participants should allow 8 to 10 weeks for the award of the referral bonus once program criteria have been met and must be enrolled in the corresponding loyalty program (if applicable) when the referral bonus is awarded. All products and services are subject to applicable Terms and Conditions.
17. This offer is only available to new American Express Cobalt Cardmembers. For current or former American Express Cobalt Cardmembers, we may approve your application, but you will not be eligible for the Membership Rewards points offer available in the first 3 months of Cardmembership. Offer valid for applications received by American Express from November 13, 2020 to January 13, 2021. American Express reserves the right to accept applications after January 13, 2021 but you will not be eligible for this offer. Account must be in good standing. Purchases made with Supplementary Cards linked to the Basic Cobalt Card are eligible purchases. The bonus points will be credited to the Basic Cardmember’s account.
You can earn a total of 10 Membership Rewards® points for every $1 (CAD) in eligible purchases charged to your new Cobalt Card on www.amazon.ca up to a maximum of $500 (CAD) in purchases during the offer period. One single purchase transaction or cumulative purchases up to a maximum of $500 (CAD) after taxes and shipping during the offer period and subsequently posted to your account qualify. You will earn at the regular rate of 1 point for every $1 (CAD) in eligible purchases over $500 (CAD). Qualifying purchases must be posted to your account in your first three months of Cardmembership. In the case of an online purchase made in the first three months of Cardmembership, it may not qualify if the Card is charged on the shipping date and that date occurs after the first three months of Cardmembership.
Offer only available at www.amazon.ca. Amazon business, purchase of Prime memberships through the use of points, phone transactions, Product Ads, Shop with Points transactions or purchases paid for using points, Sell on Amazon, Amazon Associates, Publishing, Amazon Cash, Balance Reloads, Prime Membership, Prime Video, Kindle, Digital Downloads, Advertising and spend at WholeFoods Market are not eligible purchases and are excluded from this offer. Amazon.ca’s Shop with Points Program transactions using American Express Membership Rewards points are eligible only if used along with an eligible Cobalt Card as another payment method and that same Card that is eligible for this offer is used for partial payment and Membership Rewards Points may not be used when making purchases with Amazon 1-Click. Offer is non-transferable.
Bonus Membership Rewards points will be applied to your eligible Membership Rewards account, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your eligible purchase. The bonus points may take up to 12 weeks to be credited to the account, after the Cardmember has completed the eligible purchase. American Express is responsible for the fulfillment of this offer. The bonus may be reversed if the eligible purchases are refunded or cancelled. The following transactions are not eligible purchases for this offer: purchasing a merchant’s goods through a third party, such as through concession stores in department stores, payment account or service of a third party, a card reader attached to a mobile phone, online aggregators that sell goods of other merchants or if the merchant category is otherwise not identified.
Bonus points are in addition to any points you would normally receive for purchases on your Card. Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards Program apply. Visit https://www.americanexpress.com/en-ca/rewards/membership-rewards/ for more information.
Amazon, the Amazon.com logo and the smile logo are trademarks of Amazon or its affiliates.
† All insurance coverage is subject to the terms and conditions of the respective master policies. Certain limitations, exclusions and restrictions apply. Please read your Certificates of Insurance carefully. If you are a Quebec resident, please read your Insurance Summary and Fact Sheet.
®, TM: Used by Amex Bank of Canada under license from American Express.