It's difficult for most small-business owners to master new time management habits. They're constantly getting interrupted with "new" priorities.
Ben Franklin came up with an approach 300 years ago to change habits, including:
- Actively committing to the new behavior
- Using visual reminders
Here are some other time management habits you can learn from Ben Franklin to be more efficient in the new year:
- Favor trusting relationships. Put your efforts into building relationships with people you can trust.
- Set very few priorities and stick to them. Select a maximum of two things that are your highest priority and plan time to work on them first.
- Turn down things that are inconsistent with your priorities. Get good at saying "no" to other people.
- Set aside time for focused effort. Schedule time every day to work on just one thing.
- Build solid processes. Set up processes that last and that run without your attention.
- Break your goals into small units of work. Then think only about one unit at a time.