The following types of information are accessible:
- Phone records - including both incoming and outgoing calls.
- Location data - usually taken from a mobile phone's GPS, wireless carriers received over 1.3 million such requests last year.
- IP addresses - to determine which computers you used. ISPs store this data for a year.
- Old emails - While a warrant is required to access newer emails, accessing emails from more than 180 days ago do not require one.
- Email drafts - do not require a warrant.
- Old text messages - Just like emails, only newer text messages require a warrant
- Cloud data - Information stored in Google Drive, Dropbox and other services does not require a warrant
- Social media - While each major social media provider has different policies, so far the major ones will provide some information without a warrant but will require one for deeper data.
Read more Finance Watch articles.