When interviewing potential accountants, you should ask about:
- The type of clients with whom they work to ensure they're similar in revenues, structure and industry as your business.
- Their availability to ensure year-around access, since tax issues aren’t just relevant at tax time.
- What experiences they’ve had with the IRS, including defending clients that have been audited.
- How they bill for their services to avoid large, unexpected fees.
- A small-business specific provision, like the medical expense reimbursement plan, to ensure they're knowledge about small-business tax issues.
Read more Finance Watch articles.