Scott Eblin is an executive coach, speaker and author of The Next Level: What Insiders Know About Executive Success. In this book, he explains why it’s hard for business leaders to know what to do next and why their tendency is to keep picking up new things to do.
He believes that letting go is hard because doing so challenges your assumptions and how you see yourself. It can be easier, though, if you have some clarity on what to let go of. Based on his work in coaching hundreds of executive leaders, here’s his advice on what to let go of in order to move forward.
- Self-doubt. An insecure leader is a lousy leader. Learn to talk back to that itty-bitty committee that’s keeping you from showing up with the right amount of confidence.
- Running flat-out. You’ve got to be present to win. Put the smart phone down, take a deep breath, and give yourself a chance to renew your energy and perspective so you show up at your best.
- One-size-fits-all communication. Custom fit your message to connect with others in a way that makes the desired results more likely.
- Self-reliance. Make the shift from being the “go-to person” to being the leader that builds teams of “go-to people.”
- Micro management. Your way may be the right way, but it’s not the only right way. Spend your energy on defining what to do and give your team the space to figure out how.
- Sole responsibility. Quit acting as if you’re personally responsible for everything that happens. Put the systems in place that enable you to be accountable without being responsible.
- Myopia. Look beyond your boss and your team. Look left, right, diagonally and outside to build the relationships that are going to enable you to achieve the most important results.
- Ego centrism. Recognize that there are other agendas than yours. Take an outside-in perspective to determine where and how you need to contribute.
- Small picture. As a leader, you are always on stage so what you do has a bigger impact. Learn how to manage your big footprint to keep from getting squashed.
If you need help letting go to move forward, be sure to read Scott’s book: The Next Level: What Insiders Know About Executive Success.