You need a license to drive a car, and you need to know how to operate a computer. But do you really need to know how to operate your brain? You wouldn’t think so, but if you’re committed to building and growing your business, you can’t afford to be walking around without knowing how your brain works.
During the month of April, I participated in John Assaraf’s “Mastering the Inner Game” webinar series. In this series, Assaraf personally lectured and coached business owners on operating our brains so that we can operate successful businesses.
Over the last decade, what we’ve learned about how the brain works and how we come to our buying decisions might literally blow your mind. The success of the books “Buyology” and “Neuromarketing” are just a couple examples of the importance of learning brain science for the small business owner.
This is not just fluff or interesting conversation. Understanding how brains work will save you time, money and aggravation. Not only that, but it will help you get more loyal and profitable customers as well. If that’s something you’re interested in, read on.
How Your Brain is Sabotaging Your Goals and What to Do About It
It seems that our conscious and unconscious brain creates a comfortable set point where we operate. And no matter how hard we might try to logically create a new goal (or set point) or how hard we work at tasks, our brain is on autopilot.
Brains are pattern and predicting machines. Old patterns yield predictable results and predictable results are safe. It seems that our brains are still trying to protect us from being eaten by a mastodon. While that may no longer be true; the fear or anxiety of entering a new market or presenting to the HUGE new client is the same.
The ONLY way that you can re-set your brain to think and act towards achieving a new goal (or set point) is to re-train, re-wire and re-program new information into your sub-conscious. In other words, you have to program these new circumstances into your brain so that they become old and familiar – instead of new and scary. And this is where meditations and the affirmations come in.
Before you go rolling your eyes about what may seem (or sound) like granola, new age thinking, understand that what I’m telling you is founded in brain science. It has been tested and retested with fMRI technology. It’s no longer a belief. It’s fact.
Your brain is the most sophisticated type of software. To re-program this software requires consistent, persistent practice and the feeding of new information which will, over time, become familiar. So familiar, in fact, that it will replace the old set point and Voila! You are now ready to actually DO those tasks that will get you to your goal.
My Brain Experiment and the Results So Far
While I intellectually knew that I had to re-train my brain with new “truths” to get the results I wanted, I had never really done it. Here is what I’ve done and my results so far:
1. I created a list of future accomplishments. (I like to call then new truths). I repeat these once in the morning (as I’m waking up) and once in the evening (as I’m falling asleep). My husband thinks I’m nuts.
2. I am listening to the pre-recorded neuro-reconditioning tracks provided by the Mastering the Inner Game webinar series. I listen once in the morning, once at mid-day, and once in the evening.
3. I am allocating about 10 minutes for each session three times a day.
I’m currently at day 42 and here are my results so far:
· I’ve taken on at three new high-profit/high-fun projects.
· I’ve been quoted in two major publications.
· I’ve been asked to speak at a prestigious event (and accepted).
· I’ve gained new insights into how to more effectively structure and market a new web project I’m working on.
I’m thrilled with my results so far. Now, when I’m presented with a challenge, I don’t default to thinking “I can never do a good job at this.” Now I think “I’ve never done this before, who can I ask to help me?” This new way of thinking has resulted in new business for me and my team.
Where to Get a Driver’s License for Your Brain
Hopefully, you’re now inspired to learn more and start driving your brain too
Experience More About Brains
· Brain Rules: Author John Medina outlines 12 Brain Rules and how to use them to run a more efficient, productive and happy life and business.
· Jeff Hawkins: How Brain Science Will Change Computing
· Subconscious Beliefs a presentation by Dr. Faiez Kirsten
Tools for Small Business Owners:
· John Assaraf’s OneCoach Business Momentum Club.
· The Vision Board Kit – Use this to bring your goals out of your head and into something you can see every day.
· Recommended Music to play while you re-program: The Eternal Om this music activates your brain’s alpha waves; the most conducive state to take on new information.
If there’s anything we’ve learned from brain sciences, it’s that our smaller, primitive brain is in much more control than we’d like to believe. My favorite analogy comes from the book “Switch”, your primitive brain is the elephant and your logical brain is the elephant driver. As long as the two agree on where they are going, nothing can stop them. But if the elephant decides it’s going for a drink and the driver wants a snack – guess who will win?
I’d like to be a better elephant driver. How about you?
* * * * *
Ivana Taylor is CEO of Third Force, a strategic firm that helps small businesses get and keep their ideal customer. She’s the co-author of the book “Excel for Marketing Managers” and proprietor of DIYMarketers a site for in-house marketers. Her blog is Strategy Stew.