A few years ago, people in need of something grabbed a book full of yellow pages and thumbed through it to find a company to employ, a place to eat or shop or the number for the local pharmacy.
Businesses paid for advertising in this book because they knew that someone thumbing through it had something that a newspaper reader or television viewer may not: immediate buying intent. Now, we have online local marketing.
Today’s local shopper is armed with a numbing array of tools that make it easy to discover, explore, research, review, price, rate, share and even visit every kind of local business imaginable—right from their laptop or, increasingly, through the mobile device in their pocket or purse.
Even as tools and tactics change, however, one thing hasn’t: location awareness still equals amplified intent.
In this course, small-business owners and marketers who want to capture an increased share of local purchases will learn the ins and out of online local marketing. These tips and tactics create a more personal experience for existing customers and improve location-based marketing.
Below is a list of articles that make up the course “reading list.” The topics are listed in a logical learning order, but your learning starts wherever you choose to dive in.
Local listings and local search
- 5 Step Process For Dominating Your Local Search Landscape
- 5 Ways To Get Your Website Ready For Local Search
- How To Dominate Local Product Searches
- 5 Tips For Making The Most Of Google Places
Social media and review sites
- 5 Ways To Grow Your Local Business With Social Media
- Big List Of Tools To Help Local Businesses Use Social Media
- Yelp, Kudzu And Google Places: Do You Have To Care?
- 5 Ways To Make Review Sites Your New Best Friend
- How To Respond To Negative Restaurant Reviews
Location-based apps and deals
- 4 Ways Location-Based Apps Can Grow Your Business
- How to Set Up A FourSquare Special
- Top 5 FourSquare Mistakes Committed By Small Businesses
- Beyond Foursquare: 5 Location-Based Apps for Small Business
- 5 New Ways Small Business Can Offer Location-Based Deals
- 5 Ways To Profit From The Group Coupon Game