Are you looking for a low-cost marketing idea that will catch customers' attention and help get the word out about your company? If so, you may need to look no further than the whiteboard hanging in your conference room.
Whiteboard marketing is when you create a video either as an advertisement or part of content marketing using a whiteboard. Some companies use the technique by having a single person talking to the camera while writing on a whiteboard as a visual aid. Others use the technique for storytelling at a high speed, such as this video produced by Gambrill Communications.
Koozai, a digital marketing company, has created over 100 whiteboard marketing videos in the past year to introduce topics including search engine optimization, pay-per-click, social media and branding. “The videos are designed to help others learn more, and we also use them in the sales process to prove to prospects that we are aware of the challenges of online marketing and that we have devised solutions,” says Mike Essex, online marketing manager at Koozai.
Feeling the urge to pick up a dry erase marker? Here are five ways you can use this marketing idea to connect with customers:
1. Low-cost advertising. Creating television ads and even videos can be expensive, but whiteboard marketing can be a low-cost way to visually get your message out. The high-speed storytelling method can be especially catchy for this purpose. After the video is finished, you can then inexpensively distribute the ad through your social media channels.
Essex says that you can use most high-definition cameras or even smartphones to film the video. “I’d suggest spending the biggest chunk of your budget on audio, as no one wants to watch a video where you can’t hear the presenter,” Essex says. “You will also need additional lighting to ensure it’s easy to see the presenter and read the whiteboard.”
2. Enhance your blog posts. If your company has a regular blog, consider using whiteboard marketing to add variety to your blog posts. If you are covering a topic that benefits from illustration, consider doing a whiteboard video instead of a text post. “We also write blog posts, and we use videos to complement them with extra content, or material that works better visually,” Essex says. Additionally, Koozai has found that adding whiteboard videos on its blog improves their search engine success because they are offering lots of content across different media.
3. Engage your customers. Everyone loves a contest, especially when they can use their own video cameras. A great way to gain additional marketing material and connect with your customers is to have a contest (with a good prize, of course) where people create their own whiteboard video, either as a testimonial to your company or about an industry related concept. Be sure to get permission to use their videos on your website and social media websites. You will most likely be amazed at the creativity of your followers.
4. Teach a concept. With many companies focusing on content marketing, a whiteboard video can be a great way to further your reputation as an expert on a topic. “When used properly it can be used to pique interest, drive traffic and convert viewers to customers. I use the technique mostly to add value to others by teaching success and leadership principles in short videos and suggest they touch base with me if they want a deeper dive,” says Dave Gambrill, president of Gambrill Communications.
By offering an educational video that will be of interest to your target market, customers will be more likely to turn to you for your product or service since they feel that you have a solid understanding of the field. Some companies use this marketing idea for a single educational video while others launch a mini-lecture series. If the decision makers for hiring your company are different than those in the trenches, you can also use a video to teach executives about concepts crucial to understanding the value of your business to their company.
5. Create a regular feature. Another way to use whiteboard videos is to create a regular feature on your website or social media sites using this marketing idea. Each Friday on the SEOmoz website, the staff has a weekly feature called Whiteboard Friday and posts a whiteboard video of a different employee teaching a concept using a whiteboard video. By having a consistent use of the videos, your customers will anticipate them and even come to your sites to look for the videos.