In my first career, I was V.P. in charge of all investments and financing of one of the largest development finance institutions in the U.S. where we financed over 450 businesses with equity, debt, leases, and development finance. We also did some private placements and managed five turnarounds.
In my second career:
* I am Clinical Professor of Entrepreneurship at Florida International University in Miami (firstname.lastname@example.org). Previously, I taught entrepreneurship at the University of Minnesota.
* I write when I cannot sleep, which is occurring more often lately. I write a blog for Forbes.com. I have also written nationally acclaimed business reference books including Business Financing: 25 Keys to Raising Money (NY Times), Handbook of Business Finance & Capital Sources (AMA, NY), and Bootstrap to Billions (you can get them from www.dileeprao.com)
* I have consulted in new business development with governments, including the U.S. government, Fortune 500 corporations, and entrepreneurial companies.
* I am working on a book on how billion-dollar entrepreneurs grew without venture capital by mastering capital-efficient new business development. My next booklet, "Avoid VC Intelligently(R)" is the first chapter of this new book.
* I give speeches and seminars on capital-efficient new business development. I'm fighting the assumption that you cannot build a big new business without VC. The reality is that 76% of American billion-dollar entrepreneurs built their businesses without VC -- and kept more of the wealth they created. Outside Silicon Valley, 91% built without VC. For VC-based growth, move to Silicon Valley. Otherwise, read my next book. See my blog on Forbes on why 99.997% of entrepreneurs should avoid VC, and the rest should delay.
* I have two engineering degrees and a doctorate in business administration from the U of Minnesota..