Automated decision making
We may use fully automated processes to help us make certain decisions, including to evaluate certain aspects about you (for example, to identify relevant candidates for open positions based on job skills and resume details as part of our talent acquisition and recruitment process).
These decisions are based on Personal Information that we lawfully hold such as information that you provided in your job application. In addition, the methods we use to make such decisions are regularly tested to ensure that they remain fair, effective and unbiased.
Some of these decisions relying solely on automated means may have legal or similarly significant effects on you. However, we’ll only perform such processing if it’s:
- necessary for entering into or performing a contract between you and American Express;
- authorized by a law to which American Express is subject and which also lays down suitable measures to safeguard your rights and freedoms and legitimate interests; or
- based on your explicit consent to such processing.
Please see the section “What are your rights?” below for more information about your rights with respect to these types of automated decisions.
How do we use the information we collect about you?
We use the Personal Information you provide to us and, possibly, Online Information or information collected by our Service Providers about you on its own or combine it with Other Information including but not limited to:
- if you register for notifications, we may contact you with notifications and announcements about new jobs at American Express;
- if you submit your resume/CV,
- we may hold your resume/CV and related Personal Information/SPI in accordance with our record retention schedule; and
- we may review your online applicant profile from time to time to consider you for relevant job opportunities at American Express;
- protect your information;
- safeguard the security of your information;
- conduct research and analysis, including to better understand our job candidates and website visitors;
- to support our background screening process if you apply for employment and are subsequently offered a position, subject to applicable law and where appropriate (we will provide you with additional information before we do such a screening); and
- use it in other ways as required or permitted by law or with your consent (as applicable).
Please note that if you choose to provide us with your e-mail address or your mobile number, we will only use these to send you e-mails and/or SMS alerts about your recruitment enquiry, job application, to request additional details about your resume/CV, and send you job alerts, where you have enrolled in this service. If we send you emails, we will collect information about your interaction with our e-mail content, such as whether you can read graphic-rich html e-mails.
How do we share your information?
We may share Personal Information/SPI as required or as permitted by law (e.g. with your consent where legally required), including but not limited to:
- with regulatory authorities, courts, and governmental agencies to comply with legal orders, legal or regulatory requirements, and government requests;
- with our Service Providers, law enforcement and governmental agencies to detect and prevent fraud or criminal activity, and to protect the rights of American Express or others;
- within the American Express Family of Companies;
- with our Service Providers who perform services for us and help us operate our business, including our recruitment processes;
- for specific services, when you have given your consent (as applicable).
We may transfer Personal Information/SPI to companies within the American Express Family of Companies or to our Service Providers throughout the world (with your consent where legally required), for example, to search for suitable positions or to process your application. Regardless of where we process your information, we still protect it in the manner described in this Online Recruitment Privacy Statement and according to the applicable laws.
How do we handle Aggregated Information or De-identified Information
Aggregated Information or De-identified Information does not identify you individually; it helps us to analyze patterns among groups of people. We may share Aggregated Information or De-identified Information for the same reasons as we might share Personal Information/SPI.
How do we keep and safeguard your information?
We use organizational, administrative, technical and physical security measures to protect your Personal Information/SPI . These measures include computer safeguards and secured files and facilities. We require Service Providers to safeguard Personal Information and only use your Personal Information for the purposes we specify.
We will keep your Personal Information only as long as we need to follow up on your request to register for job notifications, process your application or inform you about future opportunities, unless we are required by law or regulation or for litigation and regulatory investigations to keep it. When your Personal Information is no longer necessary for our business, legal or regulatory needs, we will take reasonable steps to securely destroy such information or permanently de-identify it.
What are your rights?
You have the following rights related to your Personal Information/SPI:
- ask us to delete or destruct the Personal Information we have about you;
- ask us to rectify any incorrect Personal Information; and
- request a copy of the Personal Information we have about you.
- learn whether the personal data relating to you are being processed
- request information with regard to processing;
- learn purposes of the processing and whether they are used for such purpose or not
- know the third persons within or outside the country to whom the personal data are transferred
- request notifying third persons to whom the personal data are transferred, about the processes completed within the scope of the foregoing two items
- object to negative consequences about you that are concluded as a result of analysis of the processed personal data exclusively by automatic mean; and
- claim indemnification if you suffered damage due to illegal processing of your personal data; and
- request a manual review of certain automated decisions that may produce legal effects concerning you or that may similarly significantly affect you.
Please note that if you decide to restrict the processing of your Personal Information or if you withdraw your job application, we will not be able to further process your application or consider you for future opportunities at American Express.
If you want to access, update or change your Personal Information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have questions about the Online Recruitment Privacy Statement, want to exercise any of your rights or want to make a complaint?
If you have questions, wish to make a complaint or exercise you rights you may contact email@example.com.
Aggregated Information — data or information relating to multiple people which has been combined or aggregated such that individuals cannot be re-identified. Aggregated Information includes information that we create or compile from various sources, including certain data from Cookies and Similar Technologies.
American Express (we, our, us) — the American Express Company as identified at the beginning of this Online Recruitment Privacy Statement.
American Express Family of Companies — any affiliate and subsidiary of, and any company owned or controlled by, the American Express Company.
Cookies and Similar Technologies — a cookie is a small data file that a website transfers to your computer's hard drive. We place cookies when you visit our recruitment website. We use the term Cookies and Similar Technologies in this statement to refer to all technologies that collect information in this way.
De-identified Information — data or information used in a way (for example, pseudonymised) that does not identify you to a third party. We often derive De-identified Information from Personal Information/SPI. It includes information that we may collect from Cookies and Similar Technologies.
IP Address — a number assigned to a device when connecting to the Internet.
Online Information — data or information collected on American Express websites and applications as well as on websites and applications of third parties relating to topics about our business, which may include Personal Information, Aggregated Information and De-Identified Information.
Other Information — American Express internal information (for example, previous employment history) and other online and offline information we collect from or about you.
Personal Information or Personal Identifiable Information (PII) — information that relates to an identified or identifiable natural person, such as name, address, telephone number, email address, previous employment history and other information associated with that individual such as demographic details.
Sensitive Personal Data or Information (SPI) - includes Personal Information that also consists of information relating to:
- Financial information such as Bank account or credit card or debit card or other payment instrument details
- Physical, physiological and mental health condition
- Sexual orientation
- Medical records and history
- Biometric and genetic information
- Information on race, ethnic origin, political opinion, philosophical belief, religion, sect or other belief
- Information on clothing and appearance, membership to associations, foundations or trade unions
- Information on convictions and security measures
Service Providers — any vendor, third party and/or company that performs business operations on our behalf, such as recruitment, printing, mailing, other communications services (email, direct mail, etc.), data processing, and servicing.