Charge Cards allow you to manage your cash flow effectively, increase your spending power and enjoy more financial flexibility. Discover how they work, as well as the difference between Charge Cards and Credit Cards, here.
If you like the stability of a debit Card but are interested in extra benefits and rewards a Charge Card might be right for you.
What is a Charge Card?
A Charge Card has no pre-set spending limit* and no interest fees. Unlike with a Credit Card, you must pay off the full balance of a Charge Card each month.
No pre-set spending limit doesn’t mean unlimited spending. Rather, your purchases are approved based on several different factors; including your current spending patterns, payment history, credit record and financial resources. As you build a spending and payment track record with us, your spending limit can adjust accordingly.
Discover more Charge Card benefits below.
What is the difference between Charge Cards and Credit Cards?
There are three main differences between a Charge Card and a Credit Card:
- Spending limit. A Charge Card has no pre-set spending limit* whereas a Credit Card has a set spending limit, that can vary based on the Card you choose.
- Carrying balance. A Charge Card requires the balance to be paid in full each month, so no credit is extended. A Credit Card, on the other hand, allows you to make purchases and pay for them later, over an extended time. When you use it you’re borrowing money and will be charged interest until the date you repay the full balance.
- Interest charges. A Charge Card has no interest charges, because the balance must be paid in full each month. A Credit Card charges you interest on the amount you owe, if you pay less than the full balance each month.
Charge Card Benefits
Charge Card benefits can include:
- No interest. A Charge Card does not incur interest, which means you’ll only ever repay what you spend. However, you’ll need to pay off your balance in full every month, otherwise you’ll be charged a fee.
- Improved cash flow. No pre-set spending limit* gives you greater purchasing power. All you need to do is pay the balance off in full every month.
- Control your spending. Your Charge Card can help you manage your spending and reduce the risk of falling into debt, because you must pay your statement in full each month.
- Earn rewards. Many card providers allow you to earn rewards for your spending. Read more on what we offer at American Express below.
Why choose an American Express Charge Card?
With American Express Charge Cards you’ll enjoy the benefits above as well as:
- Reward yourself. Earn Membership Rewards points with your purchases to use on shopping and dining experiences. And with no pre-set spending limit*, you can increase the Membership Rewards points you earn along the way – meaning rewards are yours to enjoy even sooner.
- Travel and shopping protection. Our Charge Cards offer travel and shopping protection, so you can enjoy extensive cover and support, even when you’re abroad.
- Card security. All American Express cards feature Chip technology, and all transactions are processed through our own Secure System to minimise the risk of fraud, whether you use your Card at home or abroad.
- Fraud protection. Shop confidently with your American Express Card knowing we have your back. Our intelligent security systems monitor your Account, and if we spot anything unusual, we'll notify you immediately.
- 24/7 customer service, which may include our concierge and travel services. Whenever you need us, our team of Customer Care Professionals are available 24/7 by phone, text, email or mail. Our Global Assist® team provides immediate personal advice almost anywhere in the world, anytime of the day or night.
- Special discounts, offers, upgrades and privileges when you travel, including access to airport lounges**.
- Card acceptance around the world. American Express Charge Cards are accepted all over the world. Your spend is converted as soon as we process the transaction. The American Express exchange rate is set daily. If you’re paying in US dollars, the amount will be converted directly to Singapore dollar. If you are paying in another currency, this will be converted to US dollars and then to Singapore dollar.
- All our Charge Cards are eligible for use with Apple Pay.
Key benefits at a glance
American Express Charge Cards offer you:
- All our Charge Cards are eligible for use with Apple Pay
- No pre-set spending limit, providing you with utmost flexibility in spending
- Purchase protection
- Online fraud guarantee
- Earn Membership Rewards Points with your purchases
- Special discounts, offers, upgrades and privileges when you travel, such as access to Airport lounges**
- 24/7 customer service, which may include our concierge and travel services
Whenever you need us, wherever you are, our Customer Care Professionals are available 24/7 by phone, text, email or mail. Our Global Assist® team provides immediate personal advice almost anywhere in the world, anytime of the day or night.
All American Express cards feature Chip technology and all transactions are processed through our own Secure System to minimise the risk of fraud, whether you use your Card at home or abroad.
Shop confidently with your American Express Card knowing we have your back. Our intelligent security systems monitor your Account, and if we spot anything unusual, we'll notify you immediately.
American Express Charge Cards are accepted all over the world. Your spend is converted as soon as we process the transaction. The American Express exchange rate is set daily. If you are paying in US dollars, the amount will be converted directly to Singapore dollar. If you are paying in another currency, this will be converted to US dollars and then to Singapore dollar.
Register online and manage your account whenever you choose to, online or on your mobile. View your current balance, have updates sent to your phone, pay your bills easily, and manage your rewards points at your convenience.
*Disclaimer: As per MAS regulations, no pre-set spending limit on your Charge Card may be granted only if your current income is at least S$120,000 p.a. If your income is between S$30,000 p.a. and S$120,000 p.a., your limit may be set to up to four times your monthly income combined for all your Credit and Charge Cards with American Express.
**This Card benefit is available on the Platinum Card®, American Express® Gold Card and American Express® Gold Charter
I am aged 21 or over
I have an income that meets the minimum for the Card I am interested in
Some Cards may have additional specific eligibility criteria, and you will be asked to provide employment, income and bank account information in order to submit your application.
Once you have found the Card that best suits you, read the important information, then click the 'Apply now' button on the page to begin the application process. At this point, you can choose optional additional benefits and also decide how you'd like your name to appear on your Card.
First year fee waiver Cards - Get the most out of your Card with no annual fee for the first year.
A Credit Card with no annual fee for the first year is a great way to experience being an American Express Cardmember and its perks. It offers both convenience and value.
Singapore Airlines Credit Cards - Get the most out of life.
Accumulate KrisFlyer miles on virtually every dollar you spend on your Card plus we'll transfer your miles straight to your KrisFlyer account each month.
Cashback Credit Cards - Earn Cashback everyday.
The American Express True Cashback Credit Card gives you all the benefits and convenience of an American Express Credit Card, whilst earning your Cashback on almost everything you buy.
Rewards Cards - Get the most out of life.
Enjoy all the benefits, convenience and security of an American Express Card – with the added bonus of accumulating Rewards points which offer you the flexibility to redeem for points for flights, hotels, gift cards and exclusive dining promotions with eligible Cards.
Air Miles Cards - Get the most out of life.
With the ability to earn KrisFlyer miles or Membership Rewards points on practically every purchase and often additional travel benefits like lounge access, complimentary travel protection and 24/7 global Card support.
Premium Cards - Earn Membership Rewards points or premium rewards.
For service and benefits that are second to none, reward yourself with a premium Card for your platinum lifestyle.
Find a type of card to suit your needs
Explore our range of Cards, you're bound to find something to suit your needs and lifestyle.