Follow these five simple steps to protect yourself from Phishers:
1) Be suspicious of any email that does not address you by name.
2) Navigate to banking or other financial institutions web-sites by typing the URL into the address bar of your web browser instead of clicking a link in an email.
3) Ensure that you are using up-to-date personal firewalls and anti-virus software on your computer.
4) Read your bank statements, credit report, and credit card statements regularly.
5) Have the American Express website remember your User ID on your computer, so when you return your User ID will automatically entered into the Sign In box. A fraudulent website (spoof site) will not be able to display your User ID, letting you know that you are not on the genuine American Express website. Note: Do not use the Remember Me functionality on a public or shared computer, like at a public library.