American Express Charges Cards offer no pre-set spending limits and no interest charge as the balance is paid in full each month.
Charge Cards differ to Credit Cards as they give you the financial flexibility of no pre-set spending limit, and no interest charges since you must pay the balance in full at the end of each month. Your spending limit however, depends on your Card usage, and is based on factors including your current spending patterns, payment history, credit record, and financial resources.
It's also rewarding because the American Express Charge Card lets you maximise your Membership Rewards® points earning potential. Cardmembers of the Platinum Card® and The American Express Card are automatically enrolled in our Membership Rewards programme, where you earn at a rate of one reward point for every pound you spend. You can then use your points for rewards that really are unique.
Perhaps whet your appetite during a culinary experience with a celebrity chef. Relax and take things easy at a luxury spa. Or transfer your points to one of a number airline or hotel partners, including British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and Hilton. They're your rewards, your way.
Our Gold Business Card and Platinum Business Card also offer many additional business related benefits. From extended payment days to no pre-set spending limit, our Business Cards provide a range of services to suit your business needs.
Like every American Express Cardmember, you'll also enjoy American Express Experiences®.
An American Express Charge Card could offer you:
Whenever you need us, wherever you are, our team of Customer Care Professionals are available 24/7 by phone, text, email or mail.
No matter where you are in the world, our Global Assist® team will provide the help you need in your own language, around the clock.
If things should go wrong, we'll soon put them right. All American Express Cards feature Chip and PIN technology and all transactions are processed through our own secure system to minimise the risk of fraud, whether you use your Card at home or abroad.
Our early detection systems monitor potentially fraudulent activity, and our Fraud Protection Guarantee means that in the unlikely event you are a victim of card fraud, and you have taken reasonable care with your Card, you won't be held responsible for any costs linked to the fraudulent activity.
For added protection, selected American Express Charge Cards also offer Refund Protection on eligible items bought in the UK.
That means if a retailer refuses to give you your money back, we'll refund the purchase price on eligible items purchased on your Card. Then there's our valuable Purchase Protection which means if you bought an eligible item on your Card and it's stolen or damaged within 90 days, we'll replace or repair it, or give you a refund.
Wherever your travels take you, you can take your American Express Charge Card with you.
Your spend abroad is converted to pounds sterling as soon as we process the transaction, based on the American Express exchange rate which is set daily. If your transaction is in US dollars, the amount will be converted directly to pounds sterling.
If it's in another currency, it's converted to US dollars and then to pounds sterling. Of course, your monthly bill is paid in pounds sterling.
We put you firmly in control when it comes to managing your Account. Register online and you can view and manage your account anytime of the day or night, virtually anywhere in the world – either online or on your mobile.
View your current balance, have updates sent to your phone, pay your bills easily, and manage your rewards points.
Receive a variety of premium benefits such as airport lounge access or 2-4-1 travel vouchers on top of earning points for your everyday spend.
Travel Rewards Cards
Enjoy all the benefits, convenience and security of an American Express Card when travelling, with the added bonus of earning points when you make purchases at home and abroad.
Earn cashback everyday.
American Express Cashback Credit Cards give you all the benefits and convenience of an American Express Credit Card, whist earning you cashback on your purchases.
Get the most out of life.
Enjoy all the benefits, convenience and security of an American Express Card – with the added bonus of accumulating Rewards points which offer you the flexibility to redeem for flights, hotels, gift cards and more.
No Annual Fee Cards
Get the most out of your Card with no annual fee.
Enjoy all the benefits, convenience and security of an American Express Card - with the added bonus of accumulating rewards.
I am aged 18 or over
I have no history of bad debt
I have a permanent UK home address
I have a current UK bank or building society account
Some Cards may have additional specific eligibility criteria, and you will be asked to provide employment, income and bank account information in order to submit your application.
Once you have found the Card that best suits you, read the important information, then click the 'Apply now' button on the page to begin the application process. At this point, you can choose optional additional benefits and also decide how you'd like your name to appear on your Card.
Find out if you're eligible with our Eligibility Checker
Only takes a couple of minutes to complete
Will not impact your
Allows you to apply
Find a type of Card to suit your needs
Explore our range of Cards—you’re bound to find something that suits your needs and lifestyle.
1. Subject to enrolment, for more information click here. Terms and Conditions apply. Please see the Insurance Terms and Conditions for full details. Please read this to understand the limits and exclusions that may apply.
2. The Priority Pass lounge access for Platinum - Priority Pass™ Present your Priority Pass membership card and boarding pass for access to over 600 lounges in their programme. In order to access Priority Pass lounges, the Cardmember must present a valid Priority Pass card in his or her name, along with boarding pass for same day travel and passport. Any additional guests will be charged a fee at the prevailing rate – currently £15 per person, per visit, to his or her American Express Platinum Card. Subsequent years’ renewal terms and conditions are at the discretion of Priority Pass. For complete conditions of use visit prioritypass.com. He or she agrees to abide by the conditions of use as contained in the Lounge Listing.
3. The maximum amount of time for deferred payment on purchases is 54 calendar days and is obtained only if you spend on the first day of the new statement period and repay the balance in full on the due date.
4. Points are not earned on American Express Travellers Cheques, Foreign Exchange, Express Cash transactions and other Account Charges Including Membership Rewards fees and annual Card fees. Read the full Terms and Conditions here
5. Purchases are approved based on a variety of factors including Account history, credit record and personal resources, security may be required.
6. Purchases are approved based on a variety of factors including Account history, credit record and personal resources, security may be required. We reserve the right to apply temporary spending limits in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement. Written details are available on request.