> Benefit Details Page > Frequently Asked Questions
Certain important exclusions and limitations apply, visit americanexpress.com/EWterms for complete details for your Card. Extended Warranty is underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company and Tokio Marine Pacific Insurance Ltd.
1. How does Extended Warranty work?
When an American Express Card Member charges an eligible product with his or her Card account, Extended Warranty can provide up to one extra year added to the original U.S. manufacturer’s warranty. Applies to warranties of 5 years or less. Coverage is up to the actual amount charged to your Card for the item up to a maximum of $10,000; not to exceed $50,000 per Card Member account per calendar year. Please read important exclusions and restrictions.
Back to Top
2. When is my purchase eligible?
When your eligible product's manufacturer's warranty expires, Extended Warranty takes effect. Once you are sure the item is eligible, you would need to make the purchase with your eligible American Express Card and save the receipt. This product is in excess of other warranty plans that you have in place for the eligible item. Certain purchases are not covered, e.g. items with physical damage, damage as a result of natural disaster, software, motorized devices and vehicles and their parts. Other important exclusions apply. To verify whether items are eligible for Extended Warranty, please visit americanexpress.com/EWterms
and view the exclusions under the Extended Warranty policy associated with your Card. For Centurion®
Members, please see americanexpress.com/CenturionEWTerms
. For Business Centurion®
Members, please see americanexpress.com/BusinessCenturionEWTerms
Back to Top
3. Who is eligible for coverage?
The Basic Card Member and any Additional Card Members on the account are eligible as long as they are U.S. resident Card Members, that is, the American Express Card has been issued to them in their name, and they maintain a permanent residence within the 50 United States of America, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands. For residents of Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands the Plan is underwritten by Tokio Marine Pacific Insurance Limited, Hagatna, Guam under Policy CRCB000000104. To be eligible for claim payment, your account must be in good standing.
Back to Top
4. Do I have to activate or sign up for Extended Warranty? Do I pay a premium?
No, you do not have to pay a premium for Extended Warranty; it is an embedded benefit on your eligible Card.
Back to Top
5. How do I file a claim?
You should report the Occurrence immediately following the loss. You can easily file a claim by calling 1-800-225-3750 or online at www.AmericanExpress.com/onlineclaim. You must provide proof of purchase and satisfactory proof of the covered Occurrence while coverage is in effect to qualify for benefits under the Extended Warranty. Remember to keep all your American Express® Card charge receipts, original store receipts, original manufacturers’ warranties, and products requiring repair until the claim process is complete. You may also be asked to obtain a repair estimate. The program administrator will decide whether to have the item repaired or replaced, or to reimburse you up to the amount charged to the Card, and not to exceed the original purchase price. Extended Warranty does not reimburse for shipping and handling expenses or installation, assembly, or other service charges. You can check the status of your claim on line at www.AmericanExpress.com/onlineclaim or call the Extended Warranty toll free number at 1-800-225-3750.
Back to Top
6. What do I do with the damaged item?
Please keep all items. After we have determined your item is eligible under Extended Warranty you may be required to send the purchased item to us, in which case we will reimburse you for shipping cost. Upon receipt of the item, a decision will be made to replace the item or refund the item.
Back to Top
1. Extended Warranty is underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company, Administrative Office, Phoenix, AZ under Policy AX0953, Policy AX0954, Policy EW-AX0958, or Policy EW-IND. For residents of GU and MP, the Plan is underwritten by Tokio Marine Pacific Insurance Limited, Hagatna, Guam under Policy CRCB000000104. This benefit is not available to residents of American Samoa, Federated States of Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Palau, and the US Minor Outlying Islands. Coverage is determined by the terms, conditions, and exclusions of the Policies applicable to your Card and is subject to change with notice. This document does not supplement or replace the Policy. Extended Warranty can extend the terms of the original manufacturer's warranty on warranties of five years or less. We match the length of the original warranty if the original manufacturer’s warranty is less than one year, and we provide one additional year if the original manufacturer’s warranty is between one year and five years. Shipping and handling costs for the purchase will not be refunded. Certain purchases are not covered, e.g. items with physical damage, damage as a result of natural disaster, software, motorized devices and vehicles and their parts. Other important exclusions apply. You will only be covered up to the amount charged on your eligible Card; coverage is limited up to a maximum of USD $10,000 per occurrence; not to exceed USD $50,000 per Card Member account per calendar year. You may be required to send the purchased item to us, in which case we will reimburse you for shipping cost. This product is in excess of other warranty plans that you have in place for the eligible item. To be eligible for claim payment, your account must be in good standing on the eligible card that maintains the original charge. For full Terms and Conditions, see americanexpress.com/EWterms.