1. Based on estimated weighted averages for U.S. charge volume for merchants who accept credit cards from all three networks; may not be indicative of the rates paid by individual merchants. The average cost to accept American Express includes the discount rate, per-transaction fees, and estimated third party acquirer margins applied to the wholesale rate for wholesale charge volumes. The average costs to accept Visa and MasterCard are comprised of interchange, network fees (e.g., assessment fee and cross-border fee) and acquirer margin, and are based on published interchange tables, other publicly available data and third party commissioned research.
2. American Express Annual Report, December 2017.
3.Represents only Cards issued; does not account for cancellations within the year.
4. Nilson Report #1,125, February 2018. Spend per card derived from U.S. year-end purchase volume divided by year-end cards in force (CIF), not from individual consumer-level data. CIF represents the number of cards issued and outstanding with cardholders. Average Non-American Express spend per card includes Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit and charge card volume and CIF and excludes debit volume and CIF.
5. Based on Amex recommendations made throughout 2017. Amex cannot guarantee your business will appear in a search on the Shop Small® Map. Merchants are displayed via the American Express Shop Small Map, Americanexpress.com, and email.
6. The statistic cited is an estimate based on projections from a nationally representative sample of adult consumers as reported in the 2018 Small Business Saturday Consumer Insights Survey. The Survey gathered self-reported data and does not reflect actual receipts or sales.ostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.