Here are some additional items you need to get off your desk:
1. Customer paper files. These should be in drawers and pulled out when they are needed so you are not thinking about that client when working on something else.
2. Bills. A pile of bills may be motivating for some, but they typically remind most others of immediate obligations that disrupt their workflow.
3. Old coffee cups or leftovers. Not only are they a distraction, but they may even smell.
Here is what should be on your desk:
1. Pictures. They will make you feel inspired. Many people use photos of their family or a favorite trip.
2. A computer monitor at eye level. This is where a healthy work posture starts.
3. Scrap paper for random notes. This is useful if you do not record notes using an computer-based system like Evernote.
Is it time to clear your desk? What do you plan to get rid of?
Photo: Getty Images