California Pizza Kitchen CEO: 6 Steps of Leadership
G.J. Hart, CEO and president of California Pizza Kitchen, discusses the role of courage in his new book, The Corner Office, and outlines his six steps of leadership in an interview with The New York Times. Here are some of his insights:
1. Be the very best you can be. Hart says "you can’t lead anybody if you can’t lead yourself," adding you have to "be honest with yourself" about your qualities.
2. Dream big. "What’s the world of possibilities for yourself and for your organization?"
3. Lead with your heart. "It doesn’t mean that you don’t set expectations and standards. But if you lead with your heart, people figure out whether you’re genuine."
4. Trust the people you lead. "At the end of the day, it’s O.K. if they make a mistake or if they fall down. Because as leaders, it’s your job to pick them back up."
5. Do the right thing. If "you genuinely believe in that person, sometimes it takes courage to do the right thing and give that person a second chance. "
6. Serve the people you lead. "It’s about putting the cause before yourself."Read the full article at The New York Times.
Read more Leadership Watch articles.