American Express is a global services company, providing customers with access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success.
Since 1997, American Express has partnered with a select group of leading banks and financial institutions around the world to issue American Express-branded products and acquire merchants on to the American Express merchant network. By leveraging its partnerships, global infrastructure and the powerful appeal of the brand, American Express has gained even broader reach for its network worldwide.
Nedbank is the licensed issuer of American Express-branded Cards in South Africa, and also signs up merchants to accept American Express Card transactions.
The American Express name and logo, as well as the imagery and design of the American Express® Cards and other content featured in this site are trademarks and intellectual property of American Express. Nedbank’s use of American Express’ trademarks and domain name is pursuant to a license agreement.
American Express Company, its subsidiaries and affiliates, specifically Nedbank Limited ("American Express") requires that all the visitors to our site(s) on the World Wide Web (the "Site") adhere to the following rules and regulations. By accessing the Site you acknowledge and accept these terms and conditions.
Laws and regulations
You must use the Site in compliance with all federal, state and local laws and regulations.
The trademarks, logos and service marks ("Marks") displayed on the Site are the property of American Express and other relevant parties holding ownership rights. Users are prohibited from using any Marks for any purpose including, but not limited to use as metatags on other pages or sites on the World Wide Web without the written permission of American Express or such third party which may own the Marks. All information and content including any software programs available on or through the Site ("Content") is protected by copyright. Users are prohibited from modifying, copying, distributing, transmitting, displaying, publishing, selling, licensing, creating derivative works or using any Content or Marks available on or through the Site for personal, commercial or public purposes.
THIS SITE MAY PROVIDE A LINK TO OTHER SITES BY ALLOWING THE USER TO LEAVE THIS SITE TO ACCESS THIRD-PARTY MATERIAL OR BY BRINGING THE THIRD-PARTY MATERIAL INTO THIS SITE. AMERICAN EXRESS HAS NO DISCRETION TO ALTER, UPDATE, OR CONTROL THE CONTENT ON A LINKED SITE. THE FACT THAT AMERICAN EXPRESS HAS PROVIDED A LINK TO A SITE IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT, AUTHORIZATION, SPONSORSHIP, OR AFFILIATION WITH RESPECT TO SUCH SITE, ITS OWNERS, OR IT’S PROVIDERS. THERE ARE INHERENT RISKS IN RELYING UPON USING, OR RETRIEVING ANY INFORMATION FOUND ON THE INTERNET, AND YOU MUST MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THESE RISKS BEFORE RELYING UPON, USING, OR RETRIEVING ANY SUCH INFORMATION ON A LINKED SITE.
ALL CONTENT ON THE SITE IS PROVIDED TO YOU "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, SECURITY OR ACCURACY.
AMERICAN EXPRESS DOES NOT ENDORSE AND IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR (A) THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY OPINION, ADVICE OR STATEMENT MADE THROUGH THE SITE BY ANY PARTY OTHER THAN AMERICAN EXPRESS; (B) ANY CONTENT PROVIDED ON LINKED SITES OR (C) THE CAPABILITIES OR RELIABILITY OF ANY PRODUCT OR SERVICE OBTAINED FROM A LINKED SITE.
OTHER THAN AS REQUIRED UNDER APPLICABLE CONSUMER PROTECTION LAW, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE WILL AMERICAN EXPRESS BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY A USER'S RELIANCE ON INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH THE SITE OR A LINKED SITE, OR USER'S RELIANCE ON ANY PRODUCT OR SERVICE OBTAINED FROM A LINKED SITE. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE USER TO EVALUATE THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS OR USEFULNESS OF ANY OPINION, ADVICE OR OTHER CONTENT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE, OR OBTAINED FROM A LINKED SITE. YOU MUST SEEK THE ADVICE OF PROFESSIONALS, AS APPROPRIATE, REGARDING THE EVALUATION OF ANY SPECIFIC OPINION, ADVICE, PRODUCT, SERVICE, OR OTHER CONTENT.
Limitation of liability for use of the site and linked sites
THE INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS AND DESCRIPTIONS OF SERVICES PUBLISHED ON THE SITE OR A LINKED SITE MAY INCLUDE INACCURACIES OR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS, AND AMERICAN EXPRESS SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY LIABILITY FOR SUCH INACCURACIES OR ERRORS. AMERICAN EXPRESS DOES NOT WARRANT OR REPRESENT THAT THE CONTENT ON THE SITE IS COMPLETE OR UP-TO-DATE. AMERICAN EXPRESS IS UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO UPDATE ANY CONTENT ON THE SITE. AMERICAN EXPRESS MAY CHANGE THE CONTENT ON THE SITE AT ANY TIME WITHOUT NOTICE. AMERICAN EXPRESS MAY MAKE IMPROVEMENTS OR CHANGES TO THE SITE AT ANY TIME.
YOU AGREE THAT AMERICAN EXPRESS, ITS AFFILIATES AND ANY OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, OR AGENTS WILL NOT BE LIABLE, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, DELICT, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, FOR ANY INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL OR INDIRECT DAMAGES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION LOST PROFITS, COST OF PROCURING SUBSTITUTE SERVICE OR LOST OPPORTUNITY) ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THE SITE OR A LINKED SITE, OR WITH THE DELAY OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITE OR A LINKED SITE, EVEN IF AMERICAN EXPRESS IS MADE AWARE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THIS LIMITATION ON LIABILITY INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO, THE TRANSMISSION OF ANY VIRUSES WHICH MAY INFECT A USER'S EQUIPMENT, FAILURE OF MECHANICAL OR ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT OR COMMUNICATION LINES, TELEPHONE OR OTHER INTERCONNECT PROBLEMS (E.G., YOU CANNOT ACCESS YOUR INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER), UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS, THEFT, OPERATOR ERRORS, STRIKES OR OTHER LABOR PROBLEMS OR ANY FORCE MAJEURE. AMERICAN EXPRESS CANNOT AND DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, UNINTERRUPTED OR SECURE ACCESS TO THE WEB SITE.
Limitation of liability for services arranged through the site
YOU AGREE THAT AMERICAN EXPRESS IS A MERE AGENT FOR THE PROVIDERS OF SERVICES AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO TRAVEL SERVICES. ANY AND ALL CLAIMS REGARDING ANY FAILURE OR BREACH WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICES OFFERED THROUGH THE SITE ARE LIMITED TO CLAIMS AGAINST ANY AND ALL SERVICE PROVIDERS. AMERICAN EXPRESS HEREBY DISCLAIMS ANY LIABILITY, WHETHER BASED ON CONTRACT, DELICT, TORT, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION LIABILITY FOR ANY DIRECT, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL OUR INDIRECT DAMAGES, IN CONNECTION WITH THE GOODS OR SERVICES PROVIDED BY ANY CARRIER OR OTHER SUPPLIER THROUGH THE SITE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION LIABILITY FOR ANY ACT, ERROR, OMISSION, INJURY, LOSS, ACCIDENT, DELAY OR IRREGULARITY WHICH MAY BE INCURRED THROUGH THE FAULT, NEGLIGENT OR OTHERWISE, OF SUCH CARRIER OR SUPPLIER AND YOU HEREBY EXONERATE AMERICAN EXPRESS FROM ANY LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO THE SAME.
Confidentiality of user communications
Except as required by law and in accordance with the American Express Internet Privacy Statement, American Express will maintain the confidentiality of all user communications which contain personal user information and which are transmitted directly to American Express in compliance with the relevant legislative or regulatory obligations.
Linked internet sites
American Express prohibits caching, unauthorized hypertext links to the Site and the framing of any Content available through the Site. American Express reserves the right to disable any unauthorized links or frames and specifically disclaims any responsibility for the Content available on any other Internet sites linked to the Site. Access to any other Internet sites linked to the Site is at the user's own risk.
[For use in connection with message boards or chat rooms on the Site.]
American Express is under no obligation to review any messages, information or content ("Postings") posted on the Site by users and assumes no responsibility or liability relating to any such Postings. Notwithstanding the above, American Express may from time to time monitor the Postings on the Site and may decline to accept and/or may remove any Postings that contain:
In American Express’ sole and unfettered discretion, any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law.
Advertisements or solicitations of any kind.
Messages posted by users impersonating others.
Personal information such as messages which state phone numbers, social security numbers, account numbers, addresses, or employer references.
Messages by non-spokesperson employees of American Express purporting to speak on behalf of American Express.
Messages that offer unauthorized downloads of any copyrighted or private information.
Multiple messages placed within individual folders by the same user restating the same point.
Chain letters of any kind.
Transmission of Personal Data
[For use in connection with Sites through which proprietary Cardmember/Customer account data may be transmitted.]
The user acknowledges and agrees that by providing American Express with any personal or proprietary user information through the Site, the user consents to the transmission of such personal or proprietary user information over international borders as necessary for processing in accordance with American Express' standard business practices and applicable regulations and legislation.
Changes to rules and regulations
American Express reserves the right to revise these Rules and Regulations at any time and users are deemed to be apprised of and bound by any changes to these Rules and Regulations, as they appear on the Site when the user accesses the Site.
Violation of rules and regulations
American Express reserves the right to seek all remedies available at law and in equity for violations of these Rules and Regulations, including the right to block access from a particular internet address to the Site.
Access to password protected/secure areas
Access to and use of password protected and/or secure areas of the Site is restricted to authorized users only. Unauthorized individuals attempting to access these areas of the Site may be subject to prosecution.
Use of "Cookie" file features
Digital Millennium Copyright Act – Notification to American Express regarding alleged copyright infringement
American Express has registered an agent with the United States Copyright Office in accordance with the terms of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (the "Act") and avails itself of the protections under the Act. American Express reserves the right to remove any Content on the Site which allegedly infringes another person's copyright. Notices to American Express regarding any alleged copyright infringement on the Site should be directed to American Express' General Counsel's Office Attn.: Technology Counsel at email@example.com
Users of American Express United Kingdom pages submit to the jurisdiction of the English courts and this Site is governed by South African law.
The American Express Data Protection & Privacy Principles
1. Collection: We will only collect personal data that is needed and by lawful and fair means.
2. Notice and Processing: Where it is not apparent from the products or services you require or the nature of your relationship with us, we will tell you how your personal data will be processed and which companies in the American Express Group are responsible for that processing. We will process your personal data fairly and only for those purposes we have told you, for purposes permitted by you or as permitted by applicable law. In addition, you may object to certain types of processing as expressly permitted by applicable law.
3. Choice: We give customers the option of having their personal data included or removed from lists used for marketing as required by applicable law. This includes product and service offers from American Express and those made in conjunction with our business partners. Of course each of our businesses will continue to send customers information about the products or services they receive from that business.
4. Data Quality: We use appropriate technology and well-defined employee practices to process your personal data promptly and accurately. We will not keep your personal data longer than is necessary, except as otherwise required by applicable law.
5. Security and Confidentiality: We will keep your personal data confidential and limit access to your personal data to those who specifically need it to conduct their business activities, except as otherwise permitted by applicable law. We refer to industry standards and use reasonable administrative, technical and physical security measures to protect your personal data from unauthorised access, destruction, use, modification or disclosure. We require industry standard data security measures from those third parties who are authorized by us to process your personal data on our behalf.
6. Data Sharing: We only share your personal data with third parties where it is necessary to provide you with products or services or as part of the nature of our relationship with you, where we have previously informed or been authorized by you, in connection with our efforts to reduce fraud or criminal activity, or as permitted by law.
7. Openness and Data Access: If you ask, we will inform you about how your personal data is processed and the rights and remedies you have under these Principles. You may inquire as to the nature of the personal data stored or processed about you by American Express. You will be provided access as is allowed by law in South Africa, regardless of the location of the data processing and storage. If any data is inaccurate or incomplete, you may request that the data be amended.
8. International Transfer: Where it is not apparent from the international products or services you require or the nature of your relationship with us, we will inform you if your personal data may be transferred outside of South Africa and ensure that such transfer is only performed in accordance with applicable law. Regardless of where your personal data is transferred, your personal data is protected by these Principles.
9. Responsibility: Each company in the American Express Group and their employees may only process your personal data in accordance with these Principles. We conduct training and reviews of our compliance with these Principles. Employees who violate these Principles may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal. Employees are expected to report violation of these Principles, and may do so to their managers or HR managers, to their business unit's compliance officer, to the legal department, to the Nedbank Information Protection at firstname.lastname@example.org Office or via the Complaints Helpline. Contact details are on our website www.nedbank.co.za.
10. Accountability: You may enforce these Principles in South Africa against any company in the American Express Group that is responsible for your personal data, as a third party contractual beneficiary to these Principles. If you have a complaint that we have breached these Principles and have attempted in good faith to resolve the complaint through our customer service process or employee complaints process, but the complaint was not resolved by us within a reasonable amount of time, then you may enforce these Principles against us. If you complain to your local data protection authority and the data protection authority finds that we have breached these Principles, we will abide by the findings of the data protection authority, but we reserve the right to challenge or appeal such findings. These Principles do not affect any rights you have under applicable law, the requirements of any applicable regulatory data protection authority, or any other type of agreement that you may have with us.