Effective Date: March 2021
American Express (American Express Banking Corp.), is committed to protecting your privacy. Our global Data Protection and Privacy Principles set out our commitment to the privacy of all our customers.
This Online Privacy Statement outlines what information we collect online, why we collect it, and how we access, use, disclose, and protect it. This includes information we collect online through:
- Online services we operate – such as our websites and mobile apps.
- Services or content we provide to third party platforms – such as online communications, social media pages, voice assistant apps, and digital ads.
- All other services or content that link to or reference this statement.
Our websites and apps are not intended for use by children under 18 years of age. We don’t knowingly collect information online from – or market online to – children under 18 years of age.
Here’s something to keep in mind
We may provide you with more details about how we use your information, depending on the product or service you use. In this case, we’ll provide additional Terms & Conditions, privacy statements, or notices. For example, your Card Member Privacy Statement includes more specific details about how we use information tied to your Card.
Third-party services – such as social media sites – have additional terms that explain how they handle your information. Please take a moment to review the terms of any other online services you use, to ensure your security.
What’s in this statement?
The type of information we collect depends on the product or service you use. In some cases, you provide us with this information directly. You disclose information such as your name, date of birth, address, phone number, and email when you:
- Apply for an American Express product or service online.
- Access our online account services.
- Book a flight through American Express Travel or purchase something on our websites.
- Enroll in an Amex Offer, participate in a promotion, or take one of our surveys.
If you apply for an American Express Card online, we may collect more detailed personal information such as:
- Your employment details.
- Your income.
- Biometric information.
We’ll only collect personal information for legitimate business purposes.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
We also collect information through Cookies and Similar Technologies when you use our online services or access content online.
A cookie is a small data file that a website transfers to your computer. Similar technologies include clear GIFs, web beacons, and pixel tags, which tend to be transparent images on websites. Our Cookies and Similar Technologies collect information about your device, operating system, and web browser. They also collect information about your use of the device.
Cookies and Similar Technologies collects information that includes:
- The operating system or type of device you use to open emails from American Express.
- Information related to your IP address, such as your domain, internet provider, and general geographic location.
- How you use our websites and apps, such as what you search for on our websites and apps, the pages you view, how long you stay, and how often you visit them.
- How you search for our websites or apps, which website or apps directed you to us, and, in some cases, if you’ve visited a website operated by one of our business or commercial partners.
- Ads or online content created by American Express or our business and commercial partners that you view, access, or click.
- Whether you open our emails, which sections you click, and how often you open them.
- If you use your mobile device to access our products or services, we may collect information related to that device, such as your location.
Other Sources of Information
We may collect your information from other sources in accordance with product or service-specific privacy notices we’ll send you. For example, in accordance with your Card Member Privacy Statement, we may collect information from your Card transactions, publicly available records and databases, or third-party sources, such as credit bureaus. We may combine this other information with the information we collect under this statement.
- Deliver and improve our products and services.
- Process your application for one of our products or services, process and complete transactions, let you know about new features and benefits, and manage your accounts.
- Recognize you and your device in order to better communicate more effectively.
- Determine whether you may be interested in new products or services.
- Advertise and market our products and services, along those of our commercial and business partners. See the Digital Advertising section below for more information.
- Conduct research to better understand our online visitors, customers, and Card Members.
- Request feedback or reviews about our products and services, along with those of our commercial and business partners.
- Analyze the effectiveness of our advertising and marketing campaigns.
- Manage our business risks, such as fraud and credit and security risks.
- Review and process your application for one of our products or services.
- Manage your existing products or services.
- Detect and prevent fraud or criminal activity in order to safeguard your accounts.
- We may use automated systems to help us make certain decisions, process card applications, manage fraud, and assess security risks.
- We’ll also perform other duties required or permitted by law, or with your consent.
- We shall retain Information for only as long as necessary to meet legal or regulatory requirements or for legitimate business purposes as mentioned in this Policy.
We advertise through our websites and apps, as well as third-party platforms. We may use your information to serve your devices marketing content or ads across tailored to your interests and general geographic location. Here are some ways this works:
- We use online behavioral advertising to collection information through Cookies and Similar Technologies regarding your online behavior over time and across different websites. Then, we use this information to serve you content or ads tailored to your interests.
- We may also provide content on social media sites and participate in targeted advertising campaigns on these platforms.
- If you follow our social media pages or “like” content on these platforms, we may use your information to improve what and how we serve content to you on social media.
- Keep in mind, we don’t own these websites and apps, and are required to use your information only in ways that are consistent with the privacy policies and Terms & Conditions of these platforms.
- Providers who perform services for us that include printing, mail, advertising and marketing. We require all of such service providers to protect personal information according to our standards and use it only for the purposes we allow.
- Regulatory authorities, courts, and governmental agencies, in order to comply with legal or regulatory requirements, assist in legal or regulatory investigations, and protect the rights of American Express or others.
- Companies within the American Express group.
- Business or commercial partners – other financial institutions, loyalty programs, travel partners, and certain advertising partners with whom we offer or develop products and services.
- Necessary parties involved in the sale of all or part of a company in the American Express group, or its assets.
- Other relevant third parties, as required or permitted by law or with your consent.
Cross-Border Transfers of Personal Information
We may need to transfer personal information to other countries with different data protection laws, in order to provide you with our products or services, unless it’s restricted by applicable law. Keep in mind, no matter where we process personal information about you, we’ll always protect it in the manner described in the Data Protection and Privacy Principles, this Statement, and in accordance with applicable laws.
- Analyze patterns among groups of people, Such as Card Members and online users.
- Create business insights or statistical research reports.
- Improve our advertising and our business.
We sometimes share aggregated and anonymized information with third parties, for many of the same reasons mentioned above.
- These measures include technological safeguards and appropriate access controls to data and facilities.
- We take reasonable steps to securely destroy or de-identify your personal information when we no longer need it.
- We keep personal Information for only as long as necessary to provide you with products or services – unless we’re required or permitted to keep it for longer by law, regulation, or for litigation or regulatory investigations.
You have the power to make choices about how American Express uses your information for marketing and advertising purposes. We work with a range of advertising partners including ad networks, ad servers, and social media platforms to serve you our ads online. Your choices may vary, depending on whether we’re serving you ads through websites, email, apps, or social media.
- You can change your cookie preferences in your Browser (for example, Chrome, Safari or Internet Explorer) or your mobile device settings to limit the ways in which cookies may be used to collect and use information about you. Click here for more information.
- You can adjust how we use your information through your mobile device settings – for example, you can turn off location-based services and device ad tracking.
- In order to serve you better, we may reach out to you through WhatsApp in addition to standard modes of communication. If you do not wish to receive service updates for your account though WhatsApp, you may opt out of the service. Please ignore if you have already Opted Out. If you wish to resume the service, you may re-enroll. Please be advised that you will continue to receive updates through SMS and Email alerts.
If you don’t want to receive direct marketing communications from us, you can opt out through:
- Email: Click unsubscribe on the bottom of an email and follow the instructions or go to americanexpress.com/preferences.
- Phone: Register for the National Do Not Call List at https://trai.gov.in/faqcategory/unsolicited-commercial-communicationsucc
Keep in mind, even if you opt out of direct marketing, we’ll still communicate with you in order to service your account, fulfill your requests, or administer a promotion or program you’ve opted to be part of.
You can also make choices about how we communicate with you. To update your communication preferences, you can:
- Log into your account at americanexpress.com/communications to update your marketing and data sharing choices.
- Log into your account at americanexpress.com/merchant and visit your settings to update your marketing communications preferences.
- Call 1800-419-1414 and select option 2 , Monday till Saturday – 1000-2100 hrs
If you have any questions about this statement, feel free to get in touch at the number on the back of your card or visit the Contact Us page on our website. You may also contact our Grievance Officer at the below details:
Name: Mr. Ashish Pandey
Address: American Express Banking Corp. Cyber City, Tower C, DLF Building no. 8, Sector 25, DLF City Phase II, Gurgaon, Haryana- 122 002, India
Email ID: AEBCNodalOfficer@aexp.com
The Grievance Officer shall redress the grievances within one month from the date of receipt of grievance.
We may change this statement when necessary. Depending what we change, we may let you know in advance. Whenever we make any changes, we’ll update the “Effective Date” at the top of this page. Any changes to this statement will become effective immediately when posted. When you continue to use our products and services following an update, it will indicate that you accept the revised statement.