About Cookies and Similar Technologies
Effective Date 09 April 2021
American Express is committed to providing you with full and transparent information about Cookie and Similar Technologies use.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files which are placed on your PC, mobile device or tablet whenever you visit a website.
We will deploy these technologies to provide an online service more suited to the device you are connecting with, to assess the performance of our site, and to detect and prevent fraud. When you visit our website from any device we collect information about your use of this site, such as information about the device or browser you use to access the site, the way you interact with this site, your general location and your device's IP address.
Certain Cookies and Similar Technologies contain personal information – for example, if you click on "remember me" when logging in to a website or app, a cookie will store your username and preferences.
1. Essential Cookies and Similar Technologies
These Cookies and Similar Technologies are vital to the basic performance of the American Express website; they enable critical authentication and validation, session management, and fraud prevention and credit risk management.
Cookies and Similar Technologies that allow you to navigate efficiently between pages
2. Functionality Cookies and Similar Technologies
These Cookies and Similar Technologies provide you with additional functionality and enable us to remember the settings that you may have previously applied, such as language preference and font size.
Included in the above are Cookies and Similar Technologies that:
- enable features of our website
- allow us to remember what preferences you may have set
3. Performance Cookies and Similar Technologies
We use these Cookies and Similar Technologies to optimise the experience on the American Express website and understand what content visitors might be more interested in. We collect data such as volume of visitors, clicks, and conversions. This data is used at an aggregate level and combined with other non-personal data, to improve our website and track the success of our products’ campaigns.
The implementation of performance Cookies and Similar Technologies does not allow Amex to collect any users’ activity data beyond American Express’ own websites.
Cookies and Similar Technologies that:
- allow us to understand which browsers visitors use and the number of new visitors to our website over a certain time period; or
- allow us to test different versions of the same web page, in order to provide the best customer experience to our users.
4. American Express Marketing Cookies and Similar Technologies
These Cookies and Similar Technologies are placed by American Express to understand your browsing behaviours across different websites and help us ensure that the marketing messages you receive on our website are relevant to you and
Cookies and Similar Technologies that, when used in conjunction with other data we hold about you allow us to recognise you when you are logged in and tailor our online marketing and other messages to you.
5. Third Party Marketing Cookies and Similar Technologies & Social Advertising
Cookies and Similar Technologies that:
- when placed on your device while visiting an American Express website, allow an Advertising Partner to recognise you, when you subsequently visit their website, enabling to tailor American Express advertising to you and/or improve the targeting of American Express advertising.
- measure the success of our campaigns.
Managing your Cookie and Similar Technologies preferences on the American Express Website
If you'd prefer to restrict, block or delete cookies and Similar Technologies from www.americanexpress.com or any other website, you can use your browser to do this. Each browser is different and your browser's ‘Help’ function will show you how to do this. Please note that if you choose to disable essential, functionality and performance cookies, it will affect how the American Express website works.
Use of other websites
When you use links to other websites which we provide to you, we recommend that you read the privacy and Cookies and Similar Technologies policies on those websites.
Please note that any choice about Cookies and Similar Technologies that you may have provided on an American Express site will not be honoured on non-American Express websites.
Changes to our Cookie Notice
We may change this Notice from time to time. When we make changes, we will update the “Effective Date” at the top of this page. Any changes to this Notice will become effective when posted.