Not recognising a transaction or the amount appearing to be incorrect on your billing statement can be frustrating but, it doesn't necessarily mean there's been fraudulent activity on your Account. More often than not‚ it's something much more straightforward.
There are a number of steps you can take to resolve an unrecognised charge before contacting your card issuer:
- Using an online search engine to find more details on the retailer that appears on your statement as they could be using a third party name.
- Checking if it is an online purchase (e.g..co.za or .com). If so, check your personal email inbox (and junk folder) for an email confirmation from the company.
- Considering whether it could be a monthly or yearly subscription.
- Contacting the retailer listed on the statement. In many cases, a charge can be resolved directly with the original company that the goods/services were purchased from.
- Checking the exchange rate if the amount charged is not as expected.
If you have checked the tips and still do not recognise the charge, please contact your card issuer using the contact details on the back of your Card or click below for a full list of contacts.