At American Express, the health, safety, and wellbeing of our customers is a top priority. As a result of COVID-19, travel provider policies, as well as travel advisories, requirements, and restrictions, are constantly changing. To continue to provide information and assistance to our customers, we have included some helpful resources below that we strongly encourage you to review before booking travel, any cancellation deadlines for booked travel and your date of travel. Our site may allow you to book travel to a destination where you are not permitted to travel or has certain quarantine or other requirements, so it is your responsibility to be aware of these requirements prior to booking. Included below are links to travel provider policies, as well as a number of options for you to change or cancel your travel plans, so please review those before calling us.
How do I modify an existing American Express Travel reservation?
- If you would like to cancel your flight, hotel, or car reservation, please log in to your account and visit the Manage My Trips page. There will be options to cancel your flight, hotel or car rental within the reservation details. You can also call American Express Travel with any questions.
If you booked your travel with American Express Travel and you need to change/cancel a booking, we will be honoring the policies of your travel provider. As an additional measure, we will waive the American Express Travel fee on flight modifications and new flight bookings that you make by phone or online.
How do I modify my travel plans that I booked using Membership Rewards points?
- For American Express Travel Bookings using Membership Rewards® points (Pay with Points):
- If you cancel a flight directly with your airline that was booked with Membership Rewards® points (Pay with Points), your cancellation will be handled by the airline in accordance with their policies.
- If your flight is not refunded or you are issued a credit with the airline, you will not receive the points back in your Membership Rewards® account, nor will you receive a credit on your Card statement in dollars.
- If your flight is refunded by the airline, then you will receive a credit on your Card statement (in dollars) in the amount equivalent to the refund issued by the airline. You may be able to convert it back into points by contacting Membership Rewards® at 1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276).
For Card Members who transferred Membership Rewards® points to an airline loyalty program to book their flight:
- If you cancel a flight directly with your airline that was booked via the airline’s loyalty program, your cancellation will be handled by the airline in accordance with their policies. Points transferred from the Membership Rewards® program to an airline loyalty program cannot be transferred back.
How should I prepare for travelling during COVID-19?
We recommend that you review any updated travel advisories, requirements or restrictions that may impact your travel, both prior to any cancellation deadlines and your dates of travel, as policies are constantly changing. Below are some helpful reminders of sites to check:
- Check your flight status on your airline's website to find out if your flight has been delayed or canceled.
- Check your airport or airline’s website for the latest updates and testing services. Some airports and airlines may offer on-site COVID-19 testing.
- Check your travel providers’ websites to find out if there are any updated requirements for travel with that provider (such as wearing of masks, taking of temperatures or completion of health acknowledgment forms).
- Confirm with your hotel as to what facilities or services may or may not be available during your stay, as health and safety guidelines may require certain facilities or services to be unable.
- Confirm your understanding of any travel destination advisories, requirements or restrictions.
What should I know when booking a flight during COVID-19?
As you consider future or upcoming travel, please review your airline’s current policies. Their change/cancellation policies may have been updated to provide greater flexibility, which may include those of Delta Air Lines, American Airlines and United Airlines.
Make sure you know your airline’s COVID-19 requirements. Aside from being aware of the usual air travel rules like specific luggage weight limitations, prohibited items by the TSA, and any pregnancy restrictions – traveling in the COVID-19 era requires you have a little more knowledge before booking a flight. Be sure to contact your particular airline about any changes in travel rules, including:
- Current mask policies for kids and adults (throughout check-in, boarding and the flight itself)
- Traveling with infants on your lap
- Changes in meal service
- Updated seat spacing, and more
Select your airline from the menu below to review your airline’s current change/cancellation policies. If you do not see your airline listed below, please refer to your airline’s website or contact the airline directly.