Applying for a Card
Before you apply for a Card, you need to check the basic eligibility criteria first. The key requirements for American Express Credit and Charge Cards (and most Credit Cards in India) are:
- Legal age
You must be aged 18 or above to be able to apply for a Credit Card in India.
- Indian residency status
You must qualify as an Indian resident and have a permanent residential address.
- Indian Credit file
You must have an Indian Credit file or Credit history associated with you. You will have a Credit file if you have owned a Credit Card or Charge Card from any other provider. Though some banks don’t need you to have a Credit history for applying for a Credit Card with them.
- No history of bad debt
You should have a good Credit score. You shouldn’t have any history of bad Credit. For e.g., any earlier loans or an outstanding amount on Credit Cards which you failed to repay on time.
- Indian or multinational bank's savings or current account in India
You must have an Indian savings or current account in an Indian or multinational bank.
- Not filed for bankruptcy in the past 7 years
You must not have filed for bankruptcy in the past 7 years
How does my Credit score affect my application?
Your Credit score is a three-digit number provided by agencies such as CIBIL. The higher the score, the more trustworthy the person is considered. It is influenced by your Credit history which has all the details of your accounts, including Cards and loans. It also contains minute details such as your payment pattern.
Credit Card providers want to know your creditworthiness before approving your Credit Card application. For this, they investigate your Credit score. Credit score serves as a risk indicator to the Credit Card providers, letting them know how likely you are to repay your Credit Card bills on time. Your Credit score determines the interest rates you will be offered on applying for a Credit Card. If you have a good Credit history, you will be able to receive better interest rates and a higher Credit limit. You can find your Credit score by visiting the CIBIL website.
How do I apply for a Credit Card or a Charge Card online
You can apply for an American Express Credit Card or Charge Card online. The application takes around ten minutes to complete. Here are the steps you can follow:
- Start by visiting Amex’s Credit Card section here.
- Study and compare the various Cards being offered by Amex and select the one that best suits your requirements.
- Click on the ‘Apply Now’ button of the selected Card.
- It opens another window with the application form. You will be asked to provide your personal details such as name, date of birth, income, PAN no, and address details. You can save and continue to the next page.
- This page will ask you for further financial details and additional information, such as your bank details. You can fill in the information and save and review it before submitting the application.
- Upon submission, you will receive confirmation that Amex has received your application.
- You will need to send to Amex the necessary documents to prove your legal status and identity.
Your American Express Credit Card application status will be conveyed to you within 15 working days from the date of receipt of the application, provided your application is complete in all respects, and is submitted along with all the documents as per bank’s requirements. If the necessary documentation is not received or in case of any other exceptional scenario, American Express will notify the applicant on the decision within 90 days from the receipt of the application, beyond which an application will not be processed. To help the process, please double check your entries and make sure that you have all the necessary documents ready.