More Rewards American Express Card
American Express SafeKey® – FAQs
1) What is American Express SafeKey®?
American Express SafeKey® helps to prevent online fraud when you are shopping online with your American Express® Card. Safekey is an added security to your online shopping experience. To make sure you are the one making the online payment, MCB sends you a One-Time Password (OTP) during the checkout process on your mobile phone or email address provided. Once you have entered the password correctly, the transaction can be processed.
2) Does my American Express® Card already provide online fraud protection?
Yes it does. But fraud protection and fraud prevention are two very different things. SafeKey is all about preventing fraud from even happening on your American Express® Card as you shop online.
3) Do I need to register to Safekey® to activate it on my Card?
No. We will activate it automatically based on the mobile phone number and/or email address you have provided.
4) Is American Express SafeKey® free or do I have to pay to use it?
It is free as it is part of your American Express® Card benefits.
5) How do I make purchases with American Express SafeKey®?
Step 1: If the merchant’s website supports Safekey, a pop-up window will appear at checkout to request you to enter your User ID.
Step 2: If your User ID is validated, a One-Time Password (OTP) will be sent to your mobile phone number which has been registered for Safekey.
If you do not obtain your OTP on your mobile phone, you still can request to have it sent to your registered email address.
Step 3: Enter the One-Time Password (OTP) to confirm your payment.
6) Why does SafeKey not come up every time I try to make a purchase online?
Some merchants do not have American Express SafeKey®, so you will not be asked for your OTP when you are shopping on their website. You will only need to enter your OTP for purchases made at websites that support SafeKey.
7) How do I know if a merchant offers American Express SafeKey®?
All participating merchants will display the SafeKey logo on relevant pages on their site at checkout.
8) Am I protected if I make an online purchase from a merchant who does not support SafeKey?
Yes, you are protected in any case.
9) Can I make an online transaction with my American Express® Card while being abroad?
Yes, you can. But please ensure that your mobile phone is on roaming mode as the OTP will be sent to your mobile phone number registered with us. If ever you are using a foreign mobile phone number while being abroad, please contact the bank to update your details. Once you are using back your Mauritian number, please inform the bank accordingly.
10) For how long is a One-Time Password (OTP) valid?
The OTP is valid for 5 minutes from the time it is triggered.
11) I have not received my OTP, can I have it resent again?
If you click the “Resend OTP” button within the 5-minute time frame, the same OTP will be sent to you. If after the 5-minute time frame, you still have not entered the OTP or you have clicked on the “Resend OTP” button, your entire SafeKey session will expire and you will have to restart a new one.
12) What happens if I enter an incorrect OTP?
If an incorrect OTP is entered more than 3 times, the session will close automatically. You will have to restart a new one.
13) How do I know if my mobile phone number and/or email address is up to date in MCB’s records?
To confirm if your details are up to date, please contact our Customer Service on +230 202 6060 or your Relationship Manager. We strongly encourage you to keep your contact details up-to-date.
14) How do I get my mobile phone number and/or email address to be used for American Express SafeKey® updated?
Simply contact our Customer Service on +230 202 6060 to have your details updated or you may also visit an MCB branch and complete the corresponding form to have your request processed.
15) After my contact details have been updated in MCB’s database, how long do I need to wait to do an online transaction?
Once you are sure that your contact details have been updated, you may start transacting immediately.
16) I have a mobile phone number and/or email address registered for my primary American Express® Card. Will this information apply to all of my supplementary Cards as well?
No, each supplementary Card account has a specific mobile phone number and/or email address associated with it. If a mobile phone number and/or email address has/have not been registered for the supplementary Card/s, please update the details for the supplementary Card/s as needed.
17) I am using a supplementary Card and have added my mobile phone number and/or email address that is/are different from the primary Card member’s contact details. Will my update on the supplementary Card change the contact details on file for the primary Card?
No, the update for the supplementary Card will not change anything to the contact details of the primary Card or other supplementary Cards. It applies to the unique supplementary Card account only.
18) What about my future replacement or renewed Card? Will American Express SafeKey® be automatically renewed?
Yes, we will automatically enroll your future Card either it being a replacement or renewed one. The most important thing is to get your mobile number updated.
19) What should I do if I see any online Card payment charged incorrectly to my account?
If ever you notice any Card payment charged incorrectly to your account, we invite you to contact your nearest MCB branch or call on +230 202 6060