American Express Network Online Privacy Statement
Effective Date: [28th of February 2014]
The American Express Network is committed to safeguarding your privacy when it provides you with online applications that run on smart phones, tablets and other mobile devices (“app” or “apps”), services or websites on behalf of the issuer of your American Express Card. We want you to know how we may collect, use, share and keep information about you and the choices that are available to you when you are using (or considering using) such an app, service or website.
This online privacy statement only applies to American Express apps, services and websites that link to this statement and does not apply to any American Express website that has its own online privacy statement
The American Express Network is administered and maintained by the Global Network Marketing and Information unit ("the American Express Network", "we", "our" or "us") of American Express Payment Services Limited, Ltd.
Since we may change this online privacy statement, we recommend that you check the current version available from time to time. If we make changes to this statement, we will update the “Effective Date” at the top of this page.
What is in this online privacy statement?
What information does this online privacy statement cover?
- Visit or use our apps, services or websites;
- Sign up or register for our marketing offers or other services;
- Receive or reply to electronic communications from us;
- View or click on our ads or other online content; and
- Interact with us through social media sites and other apps, online services and websites.
What information do we collect online and how do we collect it?
The types of information we collect depends on which app, service or website you use.
We collect information that you provide directly to us (or to our Service Providers). For example, you might give us your name, account number, email, mailing address, phone number or date of birth when you:
- fill out an online form or survey, including when you book travel with us;
- register, log into or update the settings on your account using our online services;
- enter a competition or register for a marketing offer; or
- buy something on our websites.
We (and our Service Providers or Third-Party Ad-Servers) collect information through Cookies and Similar Technologies. Most Cookies and Similar Technologies will only collect De-Identified Information such as how you arrive at our website or your general location. However, certain Cookies and Similar Technologies do collect Personal Information. For example, if you click Remember Me when you log in to our website, a cookie will store your username.
- the device you use to browse our websites (for example, we may collect information about the operating system or the browser version and the type of computer or mobile device);
- the IP Address and information related to that IP Address (such as domain information, your Internet provider and general geographic location);
- browsing history on our website (such as what you search for, the pages you view, how long you stay and how often you come back);
- how you search for our website, from which websites you link to our website and which of our Business Partners’ websites you visit;
- which ads or online content from us and our Business Partners you view, access or click on; and,
- whether you open our electronic communications and which parts you click on (for example, how many times you open the communication);
- the type of device you use to open our electronic communications on (for example, Mobile Phone, Tablet or Smart Watch)
- the location of your mobile device (for example, when you use our mobile websites or apps to register to receive location-based content).
We (and our Service Providers or Third-Party Ad-Servers) also collect information made publicly available through third-party platforms (such as social media sites), online databases or directories or other legitimately obtained information.
How do we use the information we collect about you?
- to deliver services, including to:
- recognize you when you return to our websites;
- complete transactions;
- tell you about updates to any account you may have with us;
- tell you about updates to our services and determine how to best provide such services to you;
- update you about new features and benefits;
- answer questions and respond to your requests made through our websites and through third-party websites (including social media websites);
- improve our websites and make them easier to use;
- present information to you in a way that is suited to your device;
- use the location of your mobile device to prevent fraud or deliver other location-based services that you may request;
- to advertise and market our services – and those of our Business Partners – including to:
- present content or ads online that are tailored to your interests, including Targeted Advertising;
- send or provide you with ads, promotions and offers;
- analyze whether our ads, promotions and offers are effective;
- help us determine whether you may be interested in new offers or services;
- to conduct research and analysis, including to:
- better understand our customers and website visitors;
- allow you to give feedback by rating and reviewing our services and those of our Business Partners;
- produce data analytics, statistical research and reports;
- review and change our services;
- to manage fraud and security risk, including to:
- detect and prevent fraud or criminal activity,
- safeguard the security of your information;
- evaluate and process your applications for our services and manage your existing accounts; and
- in other ways as required or permitted by law or with your consent.
How do we share your information?
Some Online Information is Personal Information.
How we treat your Personal Information
We do not share Personal Information with anyone except as described below. We may share Personal Information as required or as permitted by law, such as:
- with your issuer;
- with regulatory authorities, courts and governmental agencies to comply with legal orders, legal or regulatory requirements and government requests;
- with our Service Providers, regulatory authorities and governmental agencies to detect and prevent fraud or criminal activity, and to protect the rights of American Express or others;
- within the American Express Family of Companies;
- with our Service Providers who perform services for us and help us operate our business (we require Service Providers to safeguard Personal Information and only use your Personal Information for the purposes we specify);
- in the context of a sale of all or part of the American Express Family of Companies or its assets; or
- for specific services, when you have given your consent.
We may transfer Personal Information to Service Providers or companies within the American Express Family of Companies throughout the world, for example, to process transactions and provide you with our products or services. Regardless of where we process your information, we still protect it in the manner described in this online privacy statement and according to the applicable laws.
How we handle Aggregated and De-identified Information
Aggregated Information or De-Identified Information does not identify you individually and is used to help us to analyze and predict patterns among groups of people. We may share Aggregated Information or De-Identified Information in several ways, for example:
- for the same reasons as we might share Personal Information;
- with Business Partners to help develop and market products, targeted content and Targeted Advertising;
- with Business Partners to conduct analysis and research about customers and website visitors; or
- with Third-Party Ad-Servers to place ads (including ads of our Business Partners) on various websites and apps, and to analyze the effectiveness of those ads.
How do we keep and safeguard your information?
We use administrative, technical and physical security measures to protect your Personal Information. These measures include computer safeguards and secured files and facilities. We take reasonable steps to securely destroy or permanently de-identify Personal Information when we no longer need it.
What are your rights and choices?
You will always have a right to access, update, and change or correct the Personal Information you have provided us directly to us through apps, services and websites that link to this statement. If you want to do so or if you have any questions about how we process your Personal Information, please email email@example.com
For information about how to access, update, and change or correct the Personal Information you have provided the issuer of your American Express-branded card, please contact the issuer at the number on the back of your Card.
We respect the choices that you make regarding your privacy. You have choices about how American Express uses your information, such as how we market to you or how we manage Cookies and Similar Technologies. If you do not want to receive future offers or promotions via electronic communications from the American Express Network about our services, or the services of our Business Partners you may follow the unsubscribe instructions that are located at the bottom of those messages. Please note that your choice is applicable only to those types of communications sent and not to communications that may be sent to you by your issuer, or that may be sent to you based on your choices made with another service of the American Express Network. For example, if you unsubscribe from marketing offers being sent by amexnetwork.co.uk around an app that you downloaded, you will not be unsubscribed to a travel newsletter you signed up to receive from cardmemberoffers.co.uk.
Do you have questions about the online privacy statement?
If you have questions about this online privacy statement, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information about how the issuer of your American Express-branded card collects and uses your information, please contact the issuer at the number on the back of your Card.
Aggregated Information-- data or information relating to multiple people that has been combined or aggregated. Aggregated Information includes information that we create or compile from various sources, including transactions or certain data from Cookies and Similar Technologies.
American Express (we, our, us)-- the American Express Network as identified at the beginning of this online privacy statement.
American Express Family of Companies-- any affiliate and subsidiary of, and any company owned or controlled by, the American Express Company.
Business Partners-- any third parties with whom we conduct business and have a contractual relationship, such as a business that accepts American Express branded cards.
Co-brand Partners-- businesses we partner with to offer cards featuring both brand logos.
De-identified Information-- data or information used in a way that does not identify you to a third party. We often derive De-Identified Information from Personal Information. It includes information that we may collect from various sources, such as card transactions or certain data from Cookies and Similar Technologies.
IP Address-- a number assigned to a device when connecting to the Internet.
Online Information-- data or information collected on the American Express websites and apps as well as on websites and apps of third parties relating to topics about our business.
Other Information-- American Express internal information (for example, transaction data), external data that financial companies use to process applications and complete transactions, and other online and offline information.
Personal Information-- information that can identify a person, such as name, address, telephone number and email address.
Service Providers-- any vendor or company that performs business operations on our behalf, such as communications services (e.g., email), marketing, data processing, servicing or ad management.
Targeted Advertising-- ads we, or our Vendors, display on websites outside the American Express Family of Companies based on the preferences or interests inferred from data collected from a particular computer or device regarding web viewing behaviors over time and across different websites or, more generally, on data internally available to us (for example, transaction data).
Third-Party Ad-Servers-- companies that provide the technology to place ads on websites (and apps) and track how ads perform. These companies may also place and access cookies on your device. The information they collect from our websites is in a form that does not identify you personally.
American Express is committed to providing you with full and transparent information about cookie use.
What are cookies?
The cookies American Express uses, and their purposes
These cookies are vital to the basic performance of the American Express website; they enable critical authentication and validation, session management, and fraud prevention.
o Cookies that -
- allow us to confirm that you have successfully logged in
- allow you to navigate efficiently between pages
2. Functionality Cookies
These cookies provide you with additional functionality and enable us to remember the settings that you may have previously applied, such as language preference and font size.
o Cookies that -
- allow us to remember what preferences you may have set
- allow us to remember your login details, like your user ID
3. Performance Cookies
These cookies track which pages you visit frequently and how you use the website and its links. They also allow American Express to promptly identify and fix any issues that might impact your journey within our website. The information that these cookies collect is aggregated before being used to allow us to make improvements to your browsing experience, these cookies are not used to collect your personal information for advertising purposes.
o Cookies that -
- allow us to understand which browser visitors use and the number of new visitors to our website
- allow us to test different versions of the same page, so we can assess which page layout provides the best customer experience.
4. American Express Marketing Cookies
These cookies are placed by American Express to help us ensure that the marketing messages you receive on our website are relevant to you.
o Cookies that -
- when used in conjunction with other data we hold about you, such as data about how you use your card, allow us to recognise you when you are logged in and tailor our online marketing and other messages to you
- Note that all such cookies will be blocked if you choose to ‘Decline’ cookies through our site (see ‘Managing your Cookie Preferences’ section).
5. Third Party Marketing Cookies
American Express has relationships with a number of carefully-selected and monitored third-party advertising networks and companies who may also place cookies on your computer for marketing purposes. These 'third-party’ cookies improve the relevance of our advertising, both on our website and across the web where we have advertisements on other websites. Our advertising policy is designed to give you the most relevant adverts possible, based on your previous visits to our website, the things you looked at and other data we hold about you such as how you use your card, so we can understand what you might like to see on our website next time you visit. These cookies do not collect any information that can personally identify you.
Note that all such cookies will be blocked if you choose to ‘Decline’ cookies through our site (see below).
Managing your Cookie preferences
You can manage your cookie preferences through adjusting your browser settings:
If you'd prefer to restrict, block or delete cookies from www.amexnetwork.co.uk or any other website, you can use your browser to do this. Each browser is different and your browser ‘Help’ function will show you how to do this. Please note that if you choose to disable essential, functionality and performance cookies, it will affect how the American Express website works. For example, while you will still be able to view the public website, you won't be able to log on to our secure journey, check your account balances, or make payments.
Use of other websites
When you use links to other websites which we provide to you, we recommend that you read the privacy and cookies policies on those websites.