Plan It® Instalments Terms and Conditions
These Plan It Terms and Conditions (“Conditions”) apply to each Instalment Plan that we allow you to activate on your Card Account. These Conditions should be read together with the Terms and Conditions that apply to your Card Account (“Card Conditions”).
Capitalised words, unless defined below, have the meaning as set out in the Card Conditions.
How Plan It works
- You can create monthly instalment plans (“Instalment Plans”) on eligible consumer and business Credit Cards where your account has been, and continues to be, in good standing. American Express David Jones cards are not eligible.
- You will have two options to use Instalment Plan in relation to your transactions which can be accessed through your Online Account (known as ‘My Account’) or the American Express App (“Online Account”).
- Firstly, you may select a transaction over $150 you wish to move into an Instalment Plan which will be available once the transaction appears in your Online Account. Pending transactions are not eligible to be moved into an Instalment Plan (“Transaction Based Plan”). Secondly, you may also nominate an amount over $150 from new purchases on your most recent statement before the Payment Due Date (“Amount Based Plan”).
- Generally, you can create an Instalment Plan of at least $150 from new purchases in your Online Account or on your most recent statement before the Payment Due Date. We may limit the amount that can be transferred to an Instalment Plan.
- Once you create an Instalment Plan, your Card Account will have two balances; your Instalment Plan Balance, and your Card Account balance (“Standard Balance”). Any interest accrued on the billed amounts before you move them to an Instalment Plan will be added to your Standard Balance.
Instalment Plan Fees and Charges
- For each Instalment Plan, you will pay an equal monthly amount known as your “Monthly Instalment”, which is determined by the transaction or amount you have selected to move to the Instalment Plan, divided by the number of monthly instalments you select at the time you create your Instalment Plan, plus a monthly fee (“Monthly Plan Fee”). The Monthly Instalment is in addition to any amounts payable under your Standard Balance. Note that the Monthly Plan Fee is rounded to the nearest $0.01 at the time your Instalment Plan is calculated, which means your final Monthly Instalment may slightly differ to Account for this initial rounding. You will be shown the final Monthly Instalment prior to its due date.
- Each Instalment Plan will begin from the date it is successfully created, as communicated to you in your Online Account. Payment of your first Monthly Instalment will be due in your next payment cycle.
- The Monthly Plan Fee is a fixed amount that will be charged as part of each Monthly Instalment. This fee will be charged each month your Instalment Plan is active and will be notified to you before you create the Instalment Plan. Your Monthly Plan Fee will be disclosed to you at the time of creating your Instalment Plan.
- If you are eligible for interest free days on your Card Account, you will continue to be eligible where you pay your Standard Balance, plus any Monthly Instalment(s) for that month in full by the due date shown on your statement.
- You agree that, while you have an Instalment Plan, the minimum payment due for your Card Account will be calculated as:
your Monthly Instalment(s)
any overdue or overlimit amount
the greater of $30 or 2.5% of your closing Standard Balance, or if your closing Standard Balance is less than $30, the closing Standard Balance.
This means your monthly minimum payment obligation may increase.
- Note that for Amount Based Plans, in the month that you create an Instalment Plan, the minimum amount due on your Card Account (as set out in that month’s monthly statement) will not change for that month. The minimum payment due in the following month will be adjusted in accordance with clause 8 above. .
- Note that for Transaction Based Plans, in the month that you create an Instalment Plan, the minimum amount due on your Card Account (as set out in that month’s monthly statement) may change for that month if you have created an Instalment Plan prior to your monthly statement being generated.
- By creating an Instalment Plan, you request that part of your monthly minimum payment will be applied to your Monthly Instalment before all other balances (where those other balances may have higher interest rates). By doing so, you understand that you may pay an amount or rate of interest greater than required under section 133BQ of the National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009. You may withdraw these requests at any time by cancelling your plans.
- Any payments in addition to your monthly minimum payment will be credited to your Standard Balance, not your outstanding Instalment Plan balance(s).
- If you have set up a direct debit (subject to clause 11 and 12 above):
a. to pay your balance in full each month, this amount will be updated such that we will deduct any Monthly Instalments, plus the full Standard Balance;
b. to pay your monthly minimum payment, we will deduct the amount specified in clause 10 above;
c. to pay a fixed amount nominated by you, we will deduct the amount specified in clause 10 above or the nominated fixed amount, whichever is higher.
Cancellation and Default
- You may request to cancel your Instalment Plan(s) at any time through your Online Account or the Amex App. Any billed Monthly Plan Fees will remain payable, but no further Monthly Plan Fees will be billed after cancellation is effective. As cancellation can take 24-48 hours to process (“Processing Time”), you may be charged a further monthly plan fee after requesting cancellation if the Processing Time occurs on your payment date. Once cancelled, the remaining balance for the cancelled Instalment Plan(s) will be moved to your Standard Balance, where the standard interest rate for purchases will apply.
- We may withdraw this offer or prevent you from creating any new Instalment Plans. We may cancel any of your existing Instalment Plan(s) at any time if your Card Account is overdue, or if you do not comply with these Conditions or your Card Conditions. The remaining Instalment Plan balance will be moved to your Standard Balance.
- Credits, refunds or disputed transactions relating to part of the balance of an Instalment Plan will not automatically trigger a cancellation of that Instalment Plan or be treated as a payment by you toward that Instalment Plan, but it will be applied to your Standard Balance. You will continue to be charged the Monthly Plan Fee if the Instalment Plan remains active. If you receive a credit or refund, or if you have disputed a transaction relating to the balance of an Instalment Plan, and wish to cancel that Instalment Plan, you may do so in accordance with clause 16 above.
No Transaction Based Plans within 24 hours of Monthly Statement
- Plans can take up to 24 hours to be created. Therefore, we have disabled Transaction Based Plans for the 24 hour period prior to the generation of your monthly statement to avoid any possible confusion regarding cut off dates.
American Express Australia Limited (ABN 92 108 952 085). American Express Consumer Credit Cards are offered, issued and administered under Australian Credit Licence No 291313