Understand American Express Membership Rewards®
Membership Rewards points are our way of saying ‘thank you’ every time you spend on your Card. The way we see it, you’ve earned them, so you should be able to use them however you want. There are no limits to how many you can earn and they never expire. Whether it’s a new pair of headphones, a family trip away or even your morning coffee and pastry, when we say you can use them for pretty much anything, we mean exactly that. Your rewards, your way. Enjoy.
Having a Membership Rewards Card means you:
- Get one point for every pound you spend on purchases
- Use points the way you want with a range of shopping, travel and entertainment partners
- Earn points for spending made with Supplementary Cards (additional Cards you can give to friends and family)
- Earn bonus points by referring friends for an American Express Card.
Enrolling in the programme
If you're not already a Cardmember, find out which Cards are eligible for the Membership Rewards programme by browsing the American Express website to find a Rewards Card that's best suited for you. If you're an existing Cardmember with an eligible Card, start enjoying the benefits of Membership Rewards today. The Membership Rewards programme is available on selected American Express Cards.
Earning Membership Rewards points
You earn one Membership Rewards point for every full pound of eligible spending on your Card. Simply use your American Express Card for your everyday purchases and watch your points add up. You can also earn points for spending made with Supplementary Cards (additional Cards you can give to friends and family) and can earn bonus points by referring friends for an American Express Card.
Note: The following are not eligible spend, so will not earn Membership Rewards Points:
- All fees (including annual membership fees and default fees)
- Balance transfers
- Cash advances (including transactions treated as cash)
- Loading of pre-paid Cards
- American Express travellers cheque purchases
- Foreign exchange transactions
- Any amounts that are subsequently credited to your Card Account by way of refunds or other types of credits.
It takes 24-48 hours after the charge has appeared on your account for your Membership Rewards points balance to update accordingly. As a charge may not appear on your Account the same day the transaction took place, you may wish to monitor your spend activity online.
Redeeming the Membership Rewards points
If you are enrolled into Online Services:
Visit the Membership Rewards page and log in to your Membership Rewards Account. You may then search for and select your reward. If you do not have an Online Account, you can set one up.
Spend on almost anything
Unlike other loyalty programmes, you can spend your points on almost anything:
- Offset any purchase made on your Card once it appears on your statement
- Shop a wide range of entertainment, travel and dining products from our online catalogue including electronics, fitness gadgets, kitchen accessories, luggage and much more
- Book travel on the American Express Travel website – including flights, hotels and experiences. You can even use your points to pay for taxes and fees
- Pay with points at over 1,000 online retailers including Harrods and Harvey Nichols
- Purchase Gift Cards from a choice of well-known brands
- Transfer points to travel, hotel and retail loyalty programmes
- Donate to charities such as Save the Children and Breast Cancer Now
Note: Points may only be redeemed by the Cardmember for a credit on the Primary Card Account. The redemption of points for credit will be administered solely by American Express within three business days and cannot be reversed. Call the customer services number on the back of your Card to make a points for credit redemption. Redeeming points for Credit is not available for redemption by Corporate Card Accounts and is not redeemable for cash via Credit
balance refund. All rewards (other than the redemption of points for credit) are provided by the rewards provider and not by us, our affiliates or our subsidiaries. As long as your Account remains in good standing, your points will not expire.
If you've received a promotional offer from American Express, take note of the reward code and visit the Membership Rewards page. Log in to ensure you see the offers for which you are eligible, and then check that the Points value is the same as the promotion before proceeding with your redemption. You will not receive the promotional emails if you are currently opted out of direct marketing.
Checking your Membership Rewards points balance
If you have not yet registered for American Express Online Services and would like to view your up to date balance and manage your Account online, you will need to set up an Online Account. If you have already registered for Online Services, just log in to see your points balance. For detailed points transactions, go to Membership Rewards page and click on ‘Your points Account’ and then ‘My Points’ at the top of the page. Alternatively, every month you will receive a Membership Rewards statement as part of your Card Account statement which shows the number of points you have accumulated and the points you have redeemed.
If you require further assistance with Membership Rewards, please contact us and our Customer Care Professionals will assist you.
View the full Membership Rewards Terms and Conditions.