Last Modified: March 2020
Welcome to the Amex Action for Google Assistant brought to you by American Express® (the “Amex Action”)!
What is it? The Amex Action is a capability that enables you to access certain information about eligible Cards linked to your American Express® online account (“Amex account”) on devices that connect to Google Assistant, like speakers, such as the Google Home, and mobile devices. (“Connected Devices”). Once you’ve enabled the Amex Action, you can ask Google to take actions such as: check your account balance, make a payment, review your recent transactions, check when your payment is due by using your voice or typing the request on your Connected Device. When you make a request to the Amex Action (a “User Request”), you will receive a response from the Amex Action and a record of the interaction may appear on your Connected Device and/or in your Google Account. To learn more about the Amex Action, please visit
americanexpress.com/googleassistantfaqs. To learn more about Google Assistant, please visit https://support.google.com/assistant
The Amex Action cannot respond to general customer service requests, such as disputing charges on your Card (as defined below) account and has limited ability to respond to any free-form requests at this time.
For all customer service inquiries, please contact us at americanexpress.com/contactus or call the number on the back of your eligible Card and a Customer Care Professional will assist you. If your inquiry involves disputing a charge, you may also contact us via the Inquiry and Dispute Center at americanexpress.com/inquirycenter.
IMPORTANT TERMS, CONDITIONS & DISCLOSURES
- The Amex Action is available for American Express Card Members (“Card Members”) who have a valid American Express User ID and Password. An “eligible Card” is any valid American Express U.S. Consumer or Small Business credit or charge card not cancelled and issued to you by a U.S. banking subsidiary of American Express. Prepaid products, Corporate Cards and American Express-branded cards or account numbers issued by other financial institutions are not eligible. Don’t have an American Express User ID and Password? See “Linking your Account” below.
Linking your Account
- To enable the Amex Action, open Google Assistant on your Connected Device, search for “Amex” in the Explore section then select “LINK.”
- An Amex-hosted log-in page will appear, and you will be prompted to log in to your Amex account by using your American Express User ID and Password. You will also be prompted to create a 4-digit PIN that is required each time you pay your bill via the Amex Action on Google. If you opted to enable a PIN to access all Amex account information on Google, you will be asked to provide the PIN each time you use the Amex Action. Providing the PIN will begin an authenticated session for your use. If you do not interact with the Amex Action for a duration of five (5) minutes, your authenticated session will expire and you will be prompted to provide your PIN again for security purposes in order to interact with the Amex Action. If you do not remember your PIN, you should disable the Amex Action and then re-link your Amex account in accordance with this “Linking Your Account” section. If you say your PIN incorrectly more than three (3) times, your Amex account will be unlinked from the Amex Action. To relink your Amex account to the Amex Action, you will need to disable the Amex Action and then re-enable the Amex Action by linking it to your Amex account in accordance with this “Linking Your Account” section.
- Once you have linked your Amex account to the Amex Action, all of your eligible Cards linked to your Amex account will be linked to the Amex Action at the same time (such Cards, “Linked Cards” and such account, the “Linked Account”). You will not have the option to link less than all of these eligible Cards.
- Please note that the Amex-hosted log-in page is visible only to you, unless you expose your Connected Device viewing screen to others or otherwise share this page.
- Your American Express User ID and Password and your PIN are not visible to or shared with Google.
- If you do not have an American Express User ID and Password, or you have lost or forgotten your American Express User ID or Password, you can get them by registering your eligible Card(s) for online access at www.americanexpress.com/myca.
- You can unlink your Linked Account from the Amex Action at any time. See “Unlinking Your Linked Account” below for a description on how to do so.
Bill Payment Terms and Authorization; Account Information
- Transaction history information you receive relating to purchases you make with your Linked Card(s) may reflect pending charges. Pending charges have been temporarily authorized to be charged but are not yet finally posted against your applicable Linked Card. Some of these pending charges may include amounts which are pre-authorized by a merchant before you actually make a purchase (such as a hotel check-in) and are submitted to us as a final charge later when the transaction is completed (like at hotel check-out). In these instances, the pending charge you will hear and see when you engage with the Amex Action will be the pre-authorized amount, not the final charge. A maximum of twenty (20) total charges made during the preceding 90-day period with each Linked Card, whether pending and/or posted, will be accessible to you through the Amex Action.
- To see the final charge posted against any of your Linked Card(s), go to your Billing Statement. For a copy of your Billing Statement or other account details, please log in to your Amex account at www.americanexpress.com.
- Account information you receive from the Amex Action does not replace or act as your Billing Statement. In the event there are any inconsistencies between such information and your Billing Statement, your Billing Statement governs and reflects the appropriate charges due.
Unlinking Your Linked Account
- You can unlink your Linked Account by searching for the Amex Action in the Explore section of your Connected Device and/or Google Account, then select “Unlink”. You cannot unlink a single Linked Card without unlinking your Amex account.
- You can re-link your unlinked Amex account (see "Linking your Account").
Privacy and Data Use; Data Collection
- Google will retain voice recordings of your interactions with the Amex Action. Also, transcripts of your interactions with the Amex Action will be stored locally on your Connected Device. To change your Google settings or delete voice recordings or transcripts, go to “Your Assistant activity” on your Connected Device and follow the instructions.
- Information provided through the Amex Action may include your User Requests, the last four digits of your Linked Card(s), balance on Linked Card accounts, payment due date, payment due status, possible amounts you can pay on your bill, most recent charges, the name and last four digits of your bank account for bill payments, depending on the User Request. Such information will remain subject to the Amex Online Privacy Statement, and Google may use such information to service you and for other limited purposes related to the Amex Action.
- You should take measures to maintain the physical security of your Connected Devices and keep your American Express User ID and Password, your Google user ID and password, your PIN and other credentials (such as those used to access your Connected Devices) secure in the same manner as you would keep secure your cash, checks, credit cards, and other personal identification numbers and passwords that you wish to keep private and confidential.
- You must create a 4-digit PIN that is required each time you pay your bill via the Amex Action on Google. We recommend that you enable your PIN to access all Amex account information on Google. Anyone with whom you share access to your Connected Devices, your American Express User ID and Password, your Google user ID and password, and/or PIN will be able to use the Amex Action and have access to information and services to which you have access via Google Assistant. Any such individual shall be deemed an authorized user who is using Google Assistant and/or the Amex Action (as the case may be) with your consent. We recommend that you not share such credentials with anyone whom you would not wish to have access to your private information, your Linked Account or any Linked Card. Take care to ensure that no one overhears your private information, including your PIN, as you interact with the Amex Action. Remember that you must unlink your Linked Account and delete your history under “Your Assistant activity” in the Google Assistant App prior to sharing or transferring your Connected Devices or giving access to your Google account or Connected Devices to another.
- We recommend that you always use available security and lock features on your Connected Devices. If you do not utilize the lock screen feature of your Connected Devices or log out of the Google Assistant App, the messages and other information contained in the Google App will be accessible to anyone with access to your Connected Devices.
- Do not include any sensitive personal information (e.g., your Linked Card number(s), Social Security Number, date of birth, PIN, etc.) in your User Requests or otherwise in a session with Google Assistant. Please note we will never ask you for, state or otherwise include, your full Linked Card number(s) or other sensitive information, via Google Assistant or in any emails. If you receive an email that you believe could be fraudulent, please send it to email@example.com.
- To avoid any unauthorized access to your personal information, particularly in the event you believe: (1) someone has gained unauthorized access to your Google account, a Connected Device or your American Express User ID or Password, Google user ID or password or PIN; or (2) your device or credentials have been or may be lost, stolen or otherwise compromised in any way, you should immediately:
- disable the Amex Action;
- change your compromised credentials, and
- notify the party who issued your compromised credentials (in the case of Amex, call the number on the back of your Linked Card(s)).
- You agree to notify us immediately if you suspect fraudulent or abusive activity relating to your Linked Account or Linked Card(s).
Your Cardmember Agreement; Claims Resolution
- You can call the Amex number on the back of your Linked Card(s) to request a copy of the applicable Card Member Agreement(s).
Third Party Agreements
- Google, your mobile operating system provider, and other third party services or sites incorporated in Google or linked to or through the Amex Action, have their own terms and conditions and privacy policies and practices (collectively, “Third Party Agreements”). You may be subject to these Third Party Agreements when you use the Amex Action, give these third parties your personal information, or otherwise use their services (e.g. if you decide to add your Linked Card number and billing information to your Google account for purchases) or visit their respective mobile platforms or websites. It is your responsibility to review and accept all applicable Third Party Agreements before using the Amex Action.
- Amex is not responsible for the security, accuracy, legality, appropriateness or any other aspect of the content or functionality of Google, Google Assistant, any device or any third party’s products or services (whether or not related) that may be incorporated or linkable from the Amex Action.
- We are not responsible for, and do not provide, any support or assistance for any third party hardware, software or other products or services. If you have any questions or issues with a third party product or service, including issues pertaining to the operation of your supported iOS or Android device, please contact the appropriate third party in accordance with its procedures for customer support. If you have any questions or issues pertaining to Google Assistant (other than questions or issues specific to the use of the Amex Action), please contact Google.
- While Amex does not currently charge a fee for your use of the Amex Action, you will be responsible for all fees that may be imposed by non-Amex parties in connection with such use (such as data usage charges) and subject to any restrictions those third parties may impose.
- We may suspend, limit, interrupt, restrict, discontinue or terminate any and all aspects of the Amex Action and your access to the Amex Action in our sole discretion, for any reason, and without notice or liability to you or any third party.
- Communications. You agree that we may communicate with you about the Amex Action and your use of the same through our website or the email address you have on file for your Linked Account. We may always, in our sole discretion, also provide you with any such communications on paper, even if you have authorized or requested electronic delivery.
- Interference. ANY ATTEMPT BY AN INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO DELIBERATELY INTERFERE, INTERRUPT, MODIFY, AUDIT, ASSESS, RE-ENGINEER, DILUTE, TARNISH, OR DAMAGE ANY ASPECT OF THE AMEX ACTION OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE AMEX ACTION IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES, INJUNCTIONS, AND COSTS (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ATTORNEYS’ FEES) TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
Minimum Payment Due
The minimum payment is required to keep your account current. You may still incur interest on any unpaid portion of your Remaining Statement Balance (or Adjusted Balance if you are using Plan ItSM).
This amount is the New Balance showing on your most recent billing statement. This balance does not include any new payments, returned payments, credits or transactions made after the last closing date. No amounts under dispute have been deducted from this balance.
Adjusted Balance will pay your Total New Balance adjusted for future plan payments. Paying more than this amount will pay off planned transactions prematurely.
This amount is the full balance on your account adjusted for payments, returned payments, applicable credits and transactions since your last statement closing date. No amounts under dispute have been deducted from this balance. Activity in the last 24 hours may not be reflected.
Pay this amount to avoid interest charges on future purchases. Standard Balance means Total Balance, excluding the current Payment Terms Balance.
These may be pre-authorized amounts that are temporary and subject to change. The final amount will be reflected on your statement. To learn more, please log into americanexpress.com