1. Gift Cards or Vouchers. Gift Card or voucher rewards are not redeemable or exchangeable for cash or credit. Normal retailer gift card or voucher conditions apply, refer to the gift card or retailer website for details. Gift Cards and Vouchers will be dispatched within 5 business days. Orders over $600 will be dispatched via Registered Post. Should you not receive your Gift Card or reward within the stated timeframe, you must advise American Express within 28 days from date of redemption.
2. Credit your Account. This is available to primary Card Members enrolled in the Membership Rewards program. A minimum of 1,000 Membership Rewards points must be redeemed at any one time. Any credit to your Card Account cannot exceed the amount of the relevant Eligible Charges or the current outstanding balance on your Account. Certain fees and charges are excluded. Points will be debited immediately and the credit can take up to 72 hours to appear online. Credits processed after the Card Account’s statement closing date will appear in the following statement. You are still responsible for payment of the amount due on your Card Account by the due date. Corporate Card Members and David Jones American Express Card Members are not eligible. Subject to the Membership Rewards Terms & Conditions at membershiprewards.com.au.
3. Transfer to Airline Partners. As long as your account remains current and in good standing. Membership Rewards Points Transfer is available to primary Card Members enrolled in the Ascent, Business Ascent, Spirit, Ascent Premium and Gateway Membership Rewards programs. Qantas Frequent Flyer is only available as a transfer partner in Business Ascent and Ascent Premium program. Virgin Atlantic Flying Club is not available as an Airline Transfer Partner in Gateway program. To redeem points, you must be a member of the transfer partner's frequent traveller program. Enrolment in the partner program is solely your responsibility and fees may apply. Points transferred to Airline Transfer Partners are not reversible and transferred points are subject to the terms and conditions of the partner programs. The minimum required points to transfer and transfer rate varies. Subject to the Membership Rewards Terms and Conditions available here.
4. Additional Card Members. Additional Card Members must be 18 years of age or older. You will be liable for all spending on Supplementary Cards.
5. Fraud Protection. Provided that you do not contribute to or unreasonably delay reporting any misuse of your Account and you have complied with your Card Conditions, you will not be held liable for any unauthorised charges.
6. Refer a Friend. American Express discourages spamming. You should only send referral messages to friends and family who genuinely want to receive them. In order to be eligible for bonus points, your friend must apply using the referral link you send them. If your friend applies from a separate link or applies independently you will not receive bonus points. You cannot refer a friend who already has one of our Cards or has held one in the last 18 months and you will only receive the Bonus Points if your friend's Card application is approved. You may only send referral messages to a maximum of 20 friends and the amount of Bonus Points you may receive under the ‘Refer a Friend’ program is capped at 200,000 points per year. For full terms and conditions for your Card product please log in here.
7. Emergency Card Replacement. If your Credit Card is lost or stolen, you must report it immediately. You can call American Express 24 hours a day. In Australia, call us on 1300 363 687. If you are overseas, report your lost or stolen Card to the nearest American Express Travel Service or Representative Office. Once you have notified us, you are not liable for any unauthorised charges.
8. Essential Credit Card Membership Rewards. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards Gateway program available at membershiprewards.com.au. You will earn 1 point per dollar spent with Merchants classified as 'government', including the Australian Taxation Office, the Australian Postal Corporation (Australia Post), Federal/State and Local Government bodies. Industry specific earn rate may apply when you use a payment account, payment aggregator, services of a third party or online retailers that sell goods for another merchant. For example a payment made to Local Government bodies processed through a payment aggregator may earn points at the government earn rate.
9. Smartphone Screen Insurance. Insurance cover is underwritten by Chubb Insurance Australia Limited (ABN 23 001 642 020, AFSL No. 239687) (Chubb) and is subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the American Express Essential Credit Card Insurances policy between American Express and Chubb available here. For Smartphone Screen Insurance, maximum of 2 claims per 12 month period, maximum cover of $500 per claim and an excess of 10% of the claimed amount applies.
10. Purchase and Refund Protection. American Express Insurances are underwritten by Chubb Insurance Australia Limited (ABN 23 001 642 020, AFSL 239687) (Chubb) and are subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the individual American Express Credit Card Insurances policy between American Express and Chubb. This website does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It’s important for you to read the Terms and Conditions and consider the appropriateness of that insurance in relation to your individual requirements. Full details of the insurance benefits vary from Card to Card and can be found in the terms and conditions on individual Card product pages.