What are the ticket requirements when flying with children?
You don't have to book a separate ticket for a child if each of the following is true:
- You book a domestic flight.
- Children are infants (less than 2 years old) at the time of the flight's departure.
- The infant sits in the lap of another traveler over the age of 12.
- Only 1 infant sits in the lap of that traveler.
You must book a separate ticket if any of the following are true:
- You book an international flight.
- Children are 2 or older at the time of the flight's departure.
- Children require their own seat.
One traveler over the age of 12 may accompany up to 2 infants, however each infant must be seated in their own seat.
Are there discounts on flights for children?
Some airlines offer discounts on airfare for children. The availability of discounts can depend on your selected flight, seat availability, and the traveler's age.
To see all applicable discounts, select the number and ages of any children flying when you search for your flight. Discounted airfare is included in your search results, though it might not be labeled that way.
What are the fight document requirements for children?
- For domestic flights, you might need to provide a picture ID for your child.
- For international flights, you must provide a valid passport for children of all ages.
- Children traveling without both parents may need to provide notarized documentation and letters of permission to enter another country. Please confirm your specific document requirements with your destination's embassy or consulate.
Do airlines require car seats for children?
Some airlines require children with their own ticket to sit in a car seat that fits and locks into the airplane seat.
Do airlines allow strollers onboard?
When going through airport security, fold your stroller and send it through the scanner with your other belongings. If you choose to check your stroller, many airlines will allow you to do so free of charge.
Still need help?
Contact your airline to ask about their policies regarding children.