The Card application process is a quick and easy online form which you’ll need to complete if you want to sign up for an American Express® Credit or Charge Card. Before you apply, make sure that you understand the following:
Am I eligible for a Card?
To apply for a personal Card in the UK you need to be:
Aged 18 or over.
- Have a current UK bank or building society account.
- Have a permanent UK home address.
- Have no history of bad debt.
Some of our Cards may require different or additional criteria.
How do I start the application process?
Choose your type of Card here and press the “Apply Now” button.
You will need to give us personal information, contact details and financial information, so have this ready to hand.
How long does it take to apply for a Card?
Applying online takes less than 10 minutes.
- We may be able to give you an answer in less than 60 seconds.
Can I check whether I am likely to be approved before I apply?
You can use our Eligibility Checker tool to see if you are eligible before you apply formally, without affecting your credit rating.
We will give your application a credit check to ensure you are able to meet the obligations of being a Cardmember. This usually includes looking at:
Your ability to repay.
- Your financial responsibility.
- The possibility of you not paying back your debt.
- Your credit history.
- You can find more information about your Credit Score and how to improve it here.
How long before I know if my application has been successful?
You will receive our decision by post within 10 working days. If you haven’t heard from us after three weeks, you can contact our team on 0800 032 7642. You can find more information about the application process here.