Charge Cards explained
What is a Charge Card?
What is a Charge Card?
Charge Cards are not Credit Cards, but they do offer another form of Card payment. They have no pre-set spending limit1, but that does not mean unlimited spending. Your purchases are approved based on a variety of factors, and as we get to know your spending patterns, we’ll adjust how much you can spend on your Card. If it looks like you’re spending a lot more than usual, we’ll probably contact you to check everything is okay, which helps to protect you as well as us. If you need to talk about your spending, or are planning a big purchase, just call us. Also it’s important to note that Charge Cards require you to pay the amount you have charged to the Card, in full, every month.
Charge Card benefits
Charge Card benefits
- No interest – As the balance is paid off in full every month, interest will not be charged on your purchases. However, a fee is incurred if the amount is not paid off in full2.
- Cash flow – The key benefit of a Charge Card is that it lets you manage your cash flow. You have greater purchasing power with no pre-set spending limit1, though you are required to pay off the full balance every month.
- Earn points on larger purchases – With no pre-set spending limit1, you could be able to make larger purchases on your Card, like buying a car or paying the school fees – and earn points for all your purchases.
- Added benefits – The American Express® Platinum Card comes with an extensive range of Premium rewards and benefits. You’ll be enrolled into Ascent Premium – our highest tier Membership Rewards program – as well as elite hotel partner programs and have access to 900 VIP lounges with Priority Pass3.
- Charge Card – A Charge Card has no pre-set spending limit1. It requires you to pay the amount you have charged to the Card, in full, every month.
- Credit Card – A Credit Card has set spending limits. At the end of each balance month, you can pay off your debt in full, or defer payment over a period of time. There is a minimum amount that needs to be paid and not paying your whole balance in full will incur interest charges.
- Credit Card limit – Credit limits are the financial boundaries set at the start of your Credit Card contract. All Credit Cards have a maximum and a minimum credit limit.
- Statement period – The period in which the transactions reported on your statement relate to. Generally, your statement period will be every 30 days, and actual dates can vary slightly from month to month.
Click to expand
Click to collapse
1. No pre-set spending limit does not mean unlimited spending. Your purchases are approved based on a variety of factors, including current spending patterns, your payment history, credit records, and financial resources known to us.
2. A charge of three percent (3.0%) or $20, whichever is greater, will be charged on any overdue amount.
3. Complimentary Priority Pass membership is available to the Basic Platinum and one nominated Supplementary Card Member per Account on enrolment. It may take up to eight weeks from approval for you to receive your Card. Platinum Card Members must present the Priority Pass card and same-day boarding pass to gain entry into the lounge. Use of this card means full acceptance of Priority Pass conditions of use. One complimentary guest is permitted per eligible enrolled Platinum Card member only. Any additional travel companions will be assessed a guest visit fee at the prevailing rate, currently USD27, per person, per visit. The fee will be charged to the Platinum Card account on file. Additional Supplementary Card enrolments will be charged at a reduced rate of USD249. Visit prioritypass.com for full program terms and conditions.
4. Earning Membership Rewards points is subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards program available at membershiprewards.com.au/termsandconditions. Spending at restaurants, airlines and accommodation, major cruise and tour operators will only be eligible for increased Membership Rewards points where they are categorised as such in the American Express Merchant Acceptance system. For example, dining within a retail department store, hotels, pubs and liquor outlets may not be eligible to receive the additional points for restaurants. Membership Rewards points are awarded on the $AU equivalent amount of the spend in foreign currency. Except for spend in foreign currency, purchases at these Merchants are only eligible for additional points if the transactions are made in Australia. The American Express Platinum Card has a points threshold of 300,000 points per year of membership, after which your earn rate will revert to one point per $1 spent (except for spend at Merchants where you earn 0.5 points per $1 spent).
5. Platinum Travel Credit. Platinum Card Members are eligible for one Travel Credit of $300 per year on annual Card fee renewal date. The $300 Travel Credit can be redeemed against any single eligible travel booking of $1 or more when booking online through americanexpress.com.au/platinumtravel or by phone through your Platinum Travel Service. If the full Travel Credit amount is not redeemed against a single travel booking then the remaining amount will be forfeited. The Travel Credit can be used for 365 days from date of issue and cannot be carried forward to any subsequent year. Supplementary Card Members and American Express Platinum Business Cards are not eligible for this benefit. Card Members are only able to redeem one Travel Credit per booking. If a Card Member holds more than one Travel Credit across multiple American Express® Cards, the Card Member can choose which Travel Credit they would like to redeem against their booking. Refunds may be permitted based on supplier cancellation policy. The amount refunded will be the value of the booking, less supplier fees and the Travel Credit where applicable contributed by American Express. There is no refund on the Travel Credit. Once a booking has been cancelled the travel voucher for that year will be forfeited. Changes to bookings are permitted subject to supplier terms and conditions. Booking amendment fees may apply. Membership Rewards points will not be earned on the Travel Credit. Travel Credit redemptions made online through americanexpress.com.au/platinumtravel or by phone, is applicable to eligible Flight, Hotel, Car Hire and Experiences bookings only. The Credit may not be used towards Cruises. The Travel Credit may not be used towards Hotel and Car Hire bookings where payment is made directly to the supplier (i.e. FINE HOTELS & RESORTS). Travel services provided American Express International, Inc. ABN 15 000 618 208. Incorporated with Limited Liability in Delaware, USA.
6. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards program available at membershiprewards.com.au/termsandconditions. To transfer Membership Rewards points into an airline rewards or frequent guest partner program you must be a member of the partner program. Membership of the partner program is the Card Member's responsibility and is subject to the Terms and Conditions of the applicable program. A joining fee may apply.
7. American Express Platinum Card Insurances are underwritten by Chubb Insurance Australia Limited (ABN 23 001 642 020, AFSL 239687) (Chubb) and are subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions contained in the American Express Platinum Card Insurances policy of insurance between American Express International, Inc. (ABN 15 000 618 208, AFSL 237996) and Chubb. This does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It is important for you to read the Terms and Conditions available here and consider the appropriateness of that insurance in relation to your individual requirements. Travel insurance is subject to terms, conditions, exclusions, maximum age limits, pre-existing medical conditions and limits. Supplementary Card Members are not covered for Travel Insurance Benefits.