Call 1-877-255-4334 (9am – 7pm Eastern Time Monday to Friday) or we can call you to set up an American Express account today.
Complimentary marketing to help send high-spending Cardmembers1 your way
Competitive and transparent pricing to help make acceptance simple
Speedy payment options – get paid as quickly as one business day2
Tools and online support to help manage your business
Best-in-class solutions to help prevent fraud and disputes
Now more than ever, we’re bringing communities together in support of small businesses.
When you accept American Express Cards, you could be part of Shop Small®, a complimentary program dedicated to promoting local businesses’ to our Cardmembers.
Your business could be recommended to Cardmembers through personlized emails3 and be featured on American Express Maps4, making it easy for them to find you. Cardmembers can also be eligible to received statement credits for spending at your business.
We know attracting customers is important to you all year round. That’s why we promote small businesses to our Cardmembers throughout the year, not just during a Shop Small campaign. Just one of the many ways we’ve got your back.
Our merchant rates are competitive, transparent and based on your industry and annual account activity. These rates are consistent across all our credit and charge Card products to help make acceptance simple.
In 2019, the average American Express transaction was $180 versus the average Non-American Express credit card transaction of $921.
70% of Canadian American Express Cardmembers report they chose to use American Express when making retail purchases in the prior 6 months because this payment method gives them rewards or benefits that they enjoy5.
TM, ®: Used under license from American Express. Copyright ©: Amex Bank of Canada, 2021.
1. Source: The Nilson Report # 1173 (April 2020). American Express transaction size derived as Canada year-end purchase volume divided by year-end purchase transactions. Average American Express transactions equals $136 USD ($180 CAD). Average Non-American Express transaction equals $69 USD ($92 CAD), includes Visa and MasterCard credit cards, and excludes Interac and debit volume and transactions. Purchase volume converted to Canadian dollars by multiplying US figures by 1.326 (average 2019 CAD to USD conversion rate as stated by https://www.x-rates.com/average/?from=USD&to=CAD&amount=1&year=2019)5.
2. To be eligible for the 1 day payment plan, your annual Charge Volume must be less than $2.5MIL CAD. The time it takes for us to receive your transactions is dependent upon how quickly your processor sends it to us. To ensure next day business pay, remember to submit your transaction as early as possible.
3. Your business could be recommended to Cardmembers in Cardmember emails sent by American Express.
4. American Express Maps is intended for general reference purposes only and does not represent a comprehensive list of all Card accepting merchants. Recommendations and other information included on the map are derived from internal American Express and third party data. Data is updated from time to time and may not be 100% accurate. American Express does not accept any responsibility or liability arising from any inaccuracies. You understand and agree that your use of the map is your choice and at your sole risk and that the map is provided to you 'as is' and 'as available'. List of Card accepting merchants is updated monthly. For a list of eligibility criteria or to access Frequently Asked Questions please visit https://icm.aexp-static.com/content/dam/one-amex/merchant/en-ca/footer/default/CAFAQs.pdf.
5. Source: American Express commissioned internet panel survey conducted in November - December 2019 based on purchases made in the 6 months prior to the survey. Definition of American Express® Card Members: Respondents who reported that they have an American Express Card and that they used that card to make retail purchases in the prior 6 months
6. Source: American Express Global Merchant Services internal data. Timeframe: Full calendar year 2020