- Owing to special work arrangements announced by the Hongkong Post, there might be delays in the mailing of Membership Rewards gift card and merchandize redemption letters. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
- Due to system upgrades, for American Express® Gold Business Card and American Express® Business Cardmembers, if you wish to transfer your Membership Rewards points to your Frequent Flyer Program(s), please call the number on the back of your card. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
About Membership Rewards
- About the program
- About Turbo Program
1. What are the differences between the Turbo program and the Basic program?
As a Membership Rewards Turbo program enrollee, you can enjoy 2 Membership Rewards points* for every HK$1 spent on all your Card spending# In addition to redeeming rewards that the Basic program enrollees are entitled to, you may also transfer your points to Airline Frequent Flyer programs or Hotel Frequent Guest programs at participating partners to enjoy free air ticket and hotel accommodation.
What's more, Turbo program enrollees can receive Extra 5^ Membership Rewards points at participating merchants! Our Centurion®, Platinum Card or Platinum Credit Card members can also enjoy Extra 10^ Membership Rewards points at Extra 10 Bonus Partners.
* Earn 2 Membership Rewards points for every HK$1 spent is applicable to the first HK$160,000 spent during every 12-month Membership Rewards Turbo program period. From HK$160,001 and onwards, every HK$1 spent is entitled to 1 point.
# There are a few types of billed charges that are not entitled to points. Please refer to Question 3 under 'About Earning Points' in this FAQ for details.
^ The spending cap of the Turbo program applies.
2. How do I enroll in the Membership Rewards Turbo program?
All Basic Cardmembers holding Hong Kong-issued American Express proprietary cards, namely HKD Personal Cards and Business Cards, can enroll in the Turbo program.
There is an annual program fee of HK$240 to participate in the Turbo program. This may be waived for Platinum Card members at the discretion of American Express.
If you are already a Basic program enrollee and want to enroll in the Turbo program, there will be an Upgrade Fee of HK$150 to transfer your existing points to the Turbo program. However, no Upgrade Fee will be charged if you have used up all your accrued points before transferring to the Turbo program.
Simply click here to enroll.
3. Can I enroll my Corporate Card in the Membership Rewards program?
Yes, you can enroll in the Corporate Card Basic program to redeem a wide array of exciting gifts and rewards including cash vouchers, merchandise, lifestyle privileges and hotel stays. The annual membership fee is HK$120. Alternatively, you can consider the Frequent Traveler Option that enables you to transfer your points to participating Airlines Frequent Flyer Programs or Hotel Frequent Guest Programs in addition to redeeming merchandise rewards. For this option, there is an annual membership fee of HK$400.
Please click here for more details.
4. I have two Cards that are eligible for Membership Rewards. Can I link them together and consolidate my accumulated points?
All proprietary HKD Personal or Business Card accounts held by the same Basic Cardmember are normally linked to one Membership Rewards account and accumulated points are pooled automatically. However, Corporate Card and Co-brand Card accounts are not allowed to link with Personal and Business Card accounts under any circumstances.
5. What do I get for my points?
Your points will give you access to a wide range of exciting rewards, such as top-brand merchandise, premium travel, entertainment rewards, and cash coupons. Whatever your taste, you'll find the perfect rewards waiting for you!
6. Can anyone else use my points?
If you are a Basic Cardmember, you are the only person who can redeem the points in your Membership Rewards account.
7. Do Membership Rewards points expire?
No, your Membership Rewards points do not expire. This means you can easily accumulate your points to redeem high value rewards such as electronic gadgets and travel.
8. How do I earn points?
You earn 1 Membership Rewards point for every dollar in purchases charged to your Card*. Simply charge your everyday purchases or business expenses on your Card and your points will add up fast.
* There are a few types of billed charges that are not entitled to any points. Please refer to Question 3 in this 'About Earning Points' FAQ section for details.
9. How can I earn points faster?
Simply follow these 3 easy ways:
• Use the American Express Card for your everyday purchases, from grocery purchases at supermarkets to magazine subscriptions and dining out. The more you spend on your Card, the more your points will accumulate. You can also use your Card to automatically pay your regular bills, enabling you to add up points.
• Enroll in the Membership Rewards Turbo program which earns you double points* for every HK$1 spent# anytime and anywhere. What's more, the Turbo program also awards you with 5 Membership Rewards points^ for every HK$1 spent at participating Extra 5 restaurants and retail outlets. For our Centurion®, Platinum Card and Platinum Credit Card members, your membership yields an incredible 10 Membership Rewards points^ for every HK$1 spent at our Extra 10 Bonus Partners.
• Earn more rewards by sharing many of the benefits of your Card with someone special. Adding Supplementary Cards for your loved ones will also add to your points balance.
* Double points are applicable to the first HK$160,000 spent during every 12-month Membership Rewards Turbo program period. From HK$160,001 and onwards, every HK$1 spent is entitled to 1 point.
# There are a few types of billed charges that are not entitled to any points. Please refer to Question 3 in this 'About Earning Points' FAQ section for details.
^ The spending cap of the Membership Rewards Turbo program applies.
10. Is there any Card spending that does not accrue points?
Yes, the following billed charges do not accrue points:
• Charges processed and billed prior to the Membership Rewards Program Enrollment Date
• American Express Card annual fee
• Gold Card Draft, Cash Advance and other cash services
• Express Cash
• American Express Travelers Cheque purchases
• American Express Gift Cheque or Travel Gift Certificate purchases
• Charges for dishonored cheques
• Finance charges, including Credit Card Line of Credit charges and Credit Card account finance charges
• Late payment and referral charges
• Tax refunds from overseas purchases
• Tax Bill payment
• Payment portions under "Points + $" redemption items
11. If I don't have enough points can I buy them?
You can top up your balance by buying points from us at the rate of HK$20 per 1,000 points, up to a maximum of 100,000 points. Each purchase top-up must be accompanied by a reward redemption.
12. Can I transfer points to a friend?
Sorry, it's not possible to transfer points to any Membership Rewards account not in the own name of Basic Cardmember.
13. How do I check my points balance?
Simply log onto Online Services. Your point balance is shown on the Account Summary webpage.
14. How do I redeem my points?
Redemption is easy. Just follow these 3 simple steps:
• Check your points balance. You can click here to log onto your account.
• Choose your rewards. Our Online Rewards Catalogue features all the latest shopping, travel, dining and entertainment rewards.
• Click or call. Confirm your redemption order in the Online Rewards Catalogue Shopping Cart and follow the instructions to make your redemption request online (a maximum of 5 reward items per online redemption request is allowed). Alternatively, call us at 2277 2150.
15. How long does it take to process my rewards redemption request (not Membership Reward points transfer to Frequent Traveler Rewards)? When will I receive the Reward Certificates?
Your rewards redemption request will be processed as quickly as possible. You will normally receive the Reward Certificates within 5 - 10 working days after the redemption order date.
For more details about the processing lead time and fulfillment details of specific types of rewards, please refer to other FAQs in this about Redeeming Points section.
16. When will I receive the Reward Certificate(s) for the reward which is a self-pick / delivery / voucher reward? Are there special things to note about fulfillment?
You will normally receive the Reward Certificate(s) within 5 - 10 working days after the redemption order date.
[ Self-pick Reward ]
To collect your reward, simply sign and present the original Reward Certificate(s) at any of the reward provider's designated locations during business hours. Here are some important reminders about your reward collection:
• You are suggested to contact the reward provider to check stock and color availability of your reward (if applicable) before making a visit.
• Please also refer to the Reward Certificate for the specific details of your reward collection, e.g. redemption location, business hours, reward provider's hotline, terms and conditions.
[ Delivery Reward ]
The reward provider will contact you to arrange the delivery service within 5 - 10 working days after redemption order date. Please remember to sign and surrender the lower portion of the original Reward Certificate(s) to the reward provider upon delivery of your reward*.
* There may be additional delivery costs charged by the reward providers for non-standard requests, eg. delivery to outlying islands. Please confirm this with the reward provider when scheduling the delivery.
[ Voucher Reward ]
In most cases, the reward provider printed Voucher(s) are sent together with American Express Reward Certificate(s). And you just redeem the Voucher(s) as cash or for reward at the designated shops / restaurants of the reward provider. However, sometimes you will only receive the American Express Reward Certificate(s) alone as redemption voucher(s).
17. I'd like to make an air ticket or travel package rewards redemption. Should I reserve my air ticket or travel package with the designated carrier or travel agency before placing my redemption request with you? How long does it take to process my redemption request?
Yes, you should firstly book your air ticket or travel package by calling the designated carrier or travel agency directly and then place a reward redemption request with us either online or by calling our hotline 2277 2150.
For travel bookings made through Farrington American Express Travel Services (FAE), the Reward Certificate will be delivered to FAE directly within 5 - 10 working days after the redemption order date. For other designated carriers or agencies, the Reward Certificate will be sent to you directly within 5 - 10 working days after the redemption order date.
Please remember the following:
• Allow sufficient time for Reward Certificate delivery
• Sign and surrender the lower portion of the original Reward Certificate to the carrier or travel agency when you collect your travel documents
18. How long are my Reward Certificates, Reward / Cash Vouchers valid?
The validity of Reward Certificates, Reward / Cash Vouchers varies. Please check the expiry date shown on your Certificate / Voucher and remember to use them before the specific date.
19. Are there any restrictions on using my Reward Certificate?
Are there any restrictions on using my Reward Certificate? Please refer to the terms and conditions printed on the Reward Certificate for details. It is also subject to the Membership Rewards Program Terms & Conditions.
20. Can I delegate a third person to collect my reward for me?
Yes, you may delegate another person to present the original Reward Certificate on your behalf. Please remember to sign the back of the Reward Certificate and write down the Hong Kong Identity Card number of the delegate. If you have appointed a courier as your delegate, please write down the courier company name instead of the Hong Kong Identity Card number.
21. Can the Reward Certificate or the reward with delivery service be delivered to an address different from my billing address?
Yes, the Reward Certificate or the reward with delivery service can be delivered to an address different from your billing address*. However, please note that a P.O. Box or an address outside Hong Kong is not allowed.
* For rewards with delivery service, additional delivery costs may be charged by the reward providers for non-standard requests.
22. How do I return unwanted rewards or cancel my redemption request?
Please note that redeemed rewards are not exchangeable, replaceable, transferable or refundable for cash, credits or points.
23. I've lost my Reward Certificates or Reward / Cash Vouchers. Can they be replaced?
No, neither American Express nor the concerned reward provider is responsible for lost or stolen rewards, reward vouchers, certificates or tickets.
24. My reward has started malfunctioning. How do I get it repaired? Is there any product warranty?
The reward provider is solely responsible for product warranty and maintenance. Please contact the reward provider for more details specific to your reward item.
25. How do I transfer my points to Frequent Traveler Rewards? How long does it take to process my transfer request?
Transferring your points to a participating Airlines Frequent Flyer Program or Hotel Frequent Guest Program is easy.
• Firstly, you need to register your Frequent Flyer or Frequent Guest Program membership account number and name with us by calling 2277 2150.
• Then, you can place your transfer request online or by calling 2277 2150.
• Please remember to have your Frequent Flyer or Frequent Guest Program membership account details with you before placing your transfer request with us.
• The minimum points required to transfer to a participating Frequent Flyer Program are 15,000 points and in multiples of 7,500 points in the same transfer.
• It normally takes around 7 - 10 days to process your request.
26. Do I have to pay for any administrative or handling fee for transferring points to participating Frequent Flyer or Frequent Guest Programs?
For each air mile conversion, an administration fee of HK$300 will apply. For American Express® Gold Business Card and American Express® Business Card, the administration fee is HK$200 for each air mile conversion. It is not applicable to Centurion® Card, American Express® Gold Corporate Card and American Express® Corporate Card. An administration fee of HK$300 will apply. For American Express® Gold Business Card and American Express® Business Card, the administration fee is HK$200 for each air mile conversion. It is not applicable to Centurion® Card, American Express® Gold Corporate Card and American Express® Corporate Card.
No fee is charged for point transfers to participating Frequent Guest Programs.
27. Can I transfer my points to my friend's Frequent Flyer or Frequent Guest Program account?
No, Membership Rewards points can only be transferred into an account of the same Basic Cardmember.
28. Does American Express automatically transfer my points to my Frequent Flyer or Frequent Guest Program account monthly?
No, an auto-conversion service to participating Frequent Flyer or Frequent Guest Programs is not provided.
29. I have transferred my points to my Frequent Flyer or Frequent Guest Program account but I can't get the travel booking I want. Can I transfer my points back?
No, points transferred cannot be returned once the order is placed.
30. Where can I find more details of the available rewards?
You can browse our Online Rewards Catalogue to see the wide spectrum of spectacular rewards available to you.
31. Are all American Express® Cards eligible for Safekey Pay with Points ?
You will be eligible for Safekey Pay with Points if:
• Cardmembers with an Eligible Card (as defined below) who are enrolled in the Membership Rewards program are eligible to participate in the Safekey Pay with Points . (“Eligible Card”) means an American Express® Card issued in Hong Kong by American Express International, Inc. (”American Express”) and excludes USD Card, Corporate Cathay Pacific Credit Card, American Express Cathay Pacific Elite Credit Card, American Express Cathay Pacific Credit Card, Blue CashSM Credit Card from American Express, American Express Cheung Kong Card and credit cards bearing the American Express name, brand or logo issued by AEON Credit Service (Asia) Co Ltd., DBS (Hong Kong) Limited, Standard Chartered Bank (Hong Kong) Limited or Citibank (Hong Kong) Limited in Hong Kong.
• You are a Basic Cardmember; and.
•Your Card is in good standing (not overdue or in collection).
32. How do I redeem my Membership Rewards Points for Safekey Pay with Points ?
Select to use your points strong
•When you make a transaction at an online merchant who is enrolled in both SafeKey® and Safekey Pay with Points , you will be given the option to use Membership Rewards points for a statement credit.
•When you make a transaction at an online merchant who is enrolled in both SafeKey® and Safekey Pay with Points , you will be given the option to use Membership Rewards points for a statement credit.
Enter the dollar value you wish to apply
•Enter the dollar value you wish to offset with your Membership Rewards Points within the Value HKD' box and the corresponding number of Membership Rewards Points will appear in the ‘Points you wish to use’ box.
•Once you are happy with your selection, click the 'Confirm using points' button. If you no longer wish to redeem for a statement credit, click the 'Cancel using points' button.
•You will be notified if your redemption was successful and then redirected to the online store where your online transaction will be processed as usual.
•You will also receive an email to confirm the number of Membership Rewards Points you chose to redeem and that they have been debited from your Membership Rewards Account. The value credit from the points redeemed will appear on your Card Account within 24-72 hours and your merchant transaction charge will be reflected on your account upon merchant submission.
33. How many Membership Rewards points can I redeem against a SafeKey purchase?
You can choose how much in terms of Hong Kong dollar value you wish to redeem under Pay with Points online, up to the total amount of the merchant charge, as long as you have enough points in your Membership Rewards Account.
34.What is the points to HKD value?
15,000 Membership Rewards points is currently equal to HK$50 spend and is subject to change.
35.When will I receive the statement credit?
Successful redemptions made through Safekey Pay with Points will be reflected in your relevant Card Account and/or Statement of Account in the form of a statement credit and will be identified as "SafeKey". The corresponding/ matching full transaction charge for the relevant merchant will also be reflected in your Card Account and/or Statement of Account in approximately 3 to 5 business days (although this may take longer in limited circumstances, at the sole and absolute discretion of American Express). For avoidance of doubt, the merchant charge and statement credit may not appear at the same time or in the same Statement of Account.
36.Will I still earn Membership Rewards Points on my transaction?
Yes, you will earn points as provided in the Terms of your Membership Rewards agreement for the full transaction amount.
37. Is there a charge for using the ‘ Safekey Pay with Points ’ tool?
No, there is no fee for using this capability.
38. I don’t want to use my Membership Rewards Points for a statement credit, do I have to?
No, you can choose to continue without using Membership Rewards Points. You will be automatically re-directed to the online store and your transaction will be processed as normal.
39. I redeemed my points with SafeKey for a statement credit, but my transaction wasn’t authorised by the merchant, will I get my Membership Rewards Points back?
Yes, if you chose to use your points but the transaction didn’t go through with the merchant then the statement credit will be reversed and your Membership Rewards Points will be added back into your Membership Rewards Account.
40. Why can't I redeem my points with SafeKey?
It may be that you do not hold an Eligible Card that is enrolled in the Membership Rewards Program, or that the online store you are making a purchase with is not enrolled with American Express SafeKey or ‘ Safekey Pay with Points ’. It may also be that your Card Account is not in good standing (overdue or in collection).
41. Do I still need to make a bill payment this month?
A credit to your Card Account and/or Statement of Account for the purposes of Safekey Pay with Points does not constitute a payment to your Card Account and does not satisfy your obligation to pay the minimum payment due. You must still pay at least the payment due or minimum due amount shown on your Statement of Account in accordance with your Cardmember agreement, irrespective of any redemption under Safekey Pay with Points . You must not withhold any payment due on your Card Account based upon your expectation of receiving a future credit to your Card Account. For avoidance of doubt, interest and other charges as set out in the terms and conditions governing your Card Account, will continue to apply notwithstanding your participation in Safekey Pay with Points .
42. Will I receive my Membership Rewards points back if I get a refund from the merchant?
If you choose to later return your purchase for a refund, the Membership Rewards Points that you redeemed through Safekey Pay with Points for a statement credit will not be credited back to your Membership Rewards Account. Please contact Customer Services using the number on the back of your Card for assistance.
43. I have multiple cards linked in the one Membership Rewards program. When I redeem my Safekey Pay with Points which Card does the credit go to?
The credit will be applied to your primary Card Account. Please note that:
• The primary Card account balance must be higher or equal to the amount being credited.
• We may decline a Safekey Pay with Points request at our own discretion where the Card account or Cardmembers’ other account have late payments or there is not an outstanding on the Card.
The redemption of Safekey Pay with Points will be applied within 3 business days. It cannot be reserved and is not redeemable for cash via a credit balance refund.
Corporate cards cannot redeem Safekey Pay with Points .
Have we missed anything?
If you have any questions about the Membership Rewards programme or would like to learn more, please call us at 2277 2150
- Terms and Conditions