What are air miles?
Air miles is a term used to refer to points earned on Frequent Flyer Programmes that can be turned into complimentary flight awards and upgrades. At American Express we do not have a Frequent Flyer Programme, but the great thing is, points earned on a number of our cards can be used to redeem flights across a number of Frequent Flyer Programmes.
Find out more on how you can earn air miles through American Express.
Air miles are so easy to earn with American Express
Every time you use your Card, for everything from paying bills to picking up the weekly shop, you can also pick up Avios points, Membership Rewards points, or Starpoints® which you can convert into air miles for flight or upgrades.
What's more, as a new Cardmemeber you can earn bonus miles.
Find out how you can earn air miles through each of our three programmes:
How many air miles = a complimentary flight?
It very much depends on your Card and how you're using it. Here is an illustrative example of points required for a flight to New York based on which programme you choose. Points required will vary based on your destination.
For a return economy flight to New York, you will need
- 50,000 Avios points earned on either of your British Airways American Express Cards.
- 50,000 Starpoints earned on the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card, booked through SPG flights.
- 50,000 Starpoints, when you transfer Starpoints to the BA Frequent Flyer Programme.
- 29,500 Starpoints when you transfer Starpoints to the Virgin Atlantic Flying Club.
Membership Rewards Points
- 50,000 Membership Rewards Points transferred for Avios points, or
- 29,500 Membership Rewards Points transferred for Virgin Flying Club Miles
The points required for each programme is based on the cost of a return economy flight to New York (inclusive of taxes and fees) as at 15th February, 2011.