Cards are offered, issued, and administered by American Express Australia Limited ABN 92 108 952 085, Australian Credit Licence No. 291313.
American Express income and credit approval criteria applies. Subject to Terms and Conditions. Interest rates, fees and charges apply. All interest rates are quoted as an Annual Percentage Rate. All information, including fees, charges and interest rates are correct as at 22 January 2019 and are subject to change. Applicants must be 18 years of age or over, reside in Australia and earn a minimum income of $40,000 per annum to apply for the American Express Essential Credit Card.
1. Membership Rewards Program. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards program available at membershiprewards.com.au. You will earn 1 point per dollar spent with Merchants classified as 'government', including the Australian Taxation Office, the Australian Postal Corporation (Australia Post), Federal/State and Local Government bodies. Industry specific earn rate may apply when you use a payment account, payment aggregator, services of a third party or online retailers that sell goods for another merchant. For example a payment made to Local Government bodies processed through a payment aggregator may earn points at the government earn rate.
2. Insurance. The American Express Essential Credit Card insurance is subject to terms, conditions and exclusions (such as maximum age limits, pre-existing medical conditions and cover limits) – see the full terms and conditions available here. You must use your American Express Essential Credit Card to pay for eligible items in order to be covered under the insurance. For Smartphone Screen Insurance, you must use your American Express Essential Credit Card to pay for your phone outright or your monthly phone bill. Maximum of 2 claims per 12 month period, per Account, maximum cover of $500 per claim and an excess of 10% of the claimed amount applies. Waiting periods may apply. Find out more or make a claim here. The insurance is underwritten by Chubb Insurance Australia Limited (ABN 23 001 642 020, AFSL No. 239687) under a group policy held by American Express Australia Limited (ABN 92 108 952 085, AFSL No. 291313). Card members are not a party to the group policy, but may be able to claim under it as third party beneficiaries. This webpage does not take into account your objectives or financial situation. You should read the full terms and conditions to decide if this insurance meets your needs.
3. Interest Rate. This interest rate does not apply for Cash Advances and associated fees.
4. Interest Free Period. You will have up to 55 days interest free on purchases provided you pay the full closing balance of your monthly statement by the due date each month. There is no interest free period on balance transfers or if you carry forward a balance from the previous statement period. The total of interest free days will depend on when you make the purchase and when your statement is issued.
5. Membership Rewards Program. As long as your Account is current and is in good standing.
6. Select + Pay with Points. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards Gateway program available here. Minimum of 1,000 points required. Any credit to your Card Account cannot exceed the current outstanding balance on your Account. Points will be debited immediately and credit will take up to three business days to appear on your online statement.
7. Webjet. A minimum of 7,500 points must be redeemed at any one time. You can redeem points for prepaid travel of a nominated value through Webjet.com.au point-of-purchase redemption capability. Travel bookings using points may be booked for any person, provided all your accounts are kept in good standing and are not overdue. Partner Terms and Conditions apply. Subject to the Membership Rewards Terms and Conditions and the partners' booking Terms and Conditions.
8. Partner Programs. Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards Gateway program available here. You must be a member of the partner program, joining fees may apply and points transferred will be subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable program.
9. Shop with Points - David Jones. Subject to the terms and conditions of the American Express Membership Rewards program available here and the David Jones Terms and Conditions available at davidjones.com.au Terms and conditions apply to all Membership Rewards redemption options and redemption is subject to availability. Subject to your Account being kept in good standing and not overdue. Only American Express Cards issued by American Express Australia Limited are eligible provided they are enrolled in the Membership Rewards program. Additional Card Members are not eligible for Shop with Points transactions. The Primary Card must be used to complete the transaction. A minimum of 3,000 points must be redeemed at any one time. The amount of Membership Rewards points required to purchase the item(s) is subject to change at any time. For the David Jones Refund Policy please go to davidjones.com.au/return-policy or for online delivery details and prices go to davidjones.com.au/Delivery-information.
10. Ticketmaster. A minimum of 2,000 points must be redeemed at any one time. Tickets must be purchased using your eligible American Express Card and will be charged to that day's purchase. American Express will debit the Membership Rewards points from your Membership Rewards account and issue a credit for the corresponding dollar amount charged for your ticket purchase on your Card account. Subject to the venue's and Ticketmaster's no refund/no exchange policy and the Membership Rewards Terms and Conditions.
11. Gift Cards. Please allow between 7 to 10 business days for the Gift Cards to be delivered. Gift Card or voucher rewards are not redeemable or exchangeable for cash or credit. Gift Card validity period varies for each retailer, please visit www.americanexpress.com.au/giftcards to check each Gift Card validity period. Normal retailer Gift Card Terms and Conditions apply. Membership Rewards Terms and Conditions apply.
12. Amex Offers. 2017 Amex Offers Data.
13. Fraud Protection Guarantee. Provided that you do not contribute to or unreasonably delay reporting any misuse of your Account and you have complied with your Card Conditions, you will not be held liable for any unauthorised charges.
14. Emergency Card Replacement. If your Card is lost or stolen, you must report it immediately. You can call American Express 24 hours a day. In Australia, call us on 1300 363 687. If you are overseas, report your lost or stolen Card to the nearest American Express Travel Service or Representative Office. Once you have notified us, you will not be liable for any unauthorised charges.
15. Balance Transfers. Offer not available for Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any other Card product offered by American Express Australia Limited in the preceding 60 day period. Balances may not be transferred from another Credit Card issued by American Express Australia Limited. The promotional balance transfer rate will be eligible for 12 months from the date the Card is approved, after which any remaining balance will revert to the standard rate of interest at that time. The credit plan establishment fee attracts the standard rate of interest. Interest free days do not apply to Balance Transfer balances, and you may be charged interest on other purchases and fees if you do not pay your Closing Balance (including any outstanding balance transfers), in full by the due date each month. We reserve the right to withdraw this offer if your account is not in good standing or we become aware of any adverse credit information. Click here for full Balance Transfer terms and conditions.
16. Additional Cards. Additional Card Members must be 18 years of age or over. Please note Additional Cards are referred to as Supplementary Cards in some Terms and Conditions and marketing materials. The basic Card Member will be liable to pay for all spend made by Additional Card Members.
Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the US and other countries. Apple Pay, Face ID and Touch ID are trademarks of Apple Inc.
Samsung, Samsung Pay, Galaxy S (and other device names) and Samsung Knox are trademarks or registered trademarks of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. Other company and product names mentioned may be trademarks of the respective owners. Samsung Pay is available on select Samsung devices. Requires an Android phone running Kit Kat (4.4) or higher and supports NFC (Near Field Communication) and HCE (Host Card Emulation).
Android, Google Pay, and the Android Logo are trademarks of Google Inc. The Android Robot is reproduced or modified from work created and shared by Google and used according to terms described in the Creative Commons 3.0 Attribution License.