Amex Canada - About Cookies
Published: 22 October 2012
Effective Date: 22 November 2012
About CookiesAmerican Express is committed to providing you with full and transparent information about cookie use.
- enhance your visit, including to navigate between pages
- store your user ID and password securely
- store preferences and personalize home pages
- identify which parts of a website you have visited and
- keep track of selections in a 'shopping cart'
A cookie cannot retrieve any other data from your hard drive, pass on computer viruses to your device, or capture your e-mail address. Each cookie is unique to your web browser. Some of the functions that cookies perform can also be achieved using alternative technology. We use the term 'cookies' in this statement to mean cookies and all similar technologies such as web beacons and pixels which are objects that are embedded in a web page and that are usually invisible to the user but allows website operators us to confirm that you have viewed the web pages that you visit. They are often used in combination with a cookie to track navigation of a website. If you visit a page on our website that contains a web beacon, it communicates with your device to determine, among other things, whether you have been to that page before or viewed a particular advertisement.
Amex Canada uses session cookies and permanent cookies on our websites.
Session cookies are only active during the period that you are logged onto our website and are removed when you leave. We use session cookies to maintain security, to facilitate your session and to keep track of the sections of the website that have been visited. This temporary cookie allows us to better serve you by providing conditional enhancements to your visit in accordance with your selected preferences.
Permanent cookies remain on your hard drive until you remove them through your browser’s internet security settings . Permanent cookies are used to provide a more comfortable and personalized online experience. They store user preferences such as language, thus eliminating having to make the same entries on each visit.
If you become a registered user on our website (with a designated user ID and password), we use permanent cookies so that we can provide customized information that we believe will be of value to you based on preferences indicated and, other information we have about you as an American Express customer. If you choose the "Remember Me" option as part of the Online Services log in feature on the American Express website, a small permanent cookie is created to store your user ID safely and securely.
On your next visit, your username ID will appear automatically each time you sign in from the same computer. You will still be required to type in your password to log in. To turn off this feature you must uncheck the box beside the "Remember Me" option and log in.
The "Remember Me" box is an optional feature and is intended for use on a trusted computer such as home, work, or another private computer.
It is possible to set your browser to inform you when a cookie is being placed -- this way, you have the opportunity to decide whether to accept the cookie. If you are just browsing our website and are not a registered user, you do not have to accept a cookie and you may still continue utilizing the site. However, if you will be accessing your confidential account information (such as Online Services), you must accept our website's cookies as they are essential for website administration and security. By accepting a cookie, keep in mind that your choice to decline e-mail marketing offers remains unaffected.
The types of cookies Amex Canada uses and their purposes
1. Essential CookiesThese cookies are vital to the basic performance of our website; they enable critical authentication and validation, session management, and fraud prevention functions.
Cookies that -
- identify if the user has successfully logged on
- enable validation of the user, and session management for Amex Canada applications
- store the authentication (secure login) data for our merchant clients when they log in
- enable fraud tracking and prevention functions
2. Functionality CookiesThese cookies provide you with additional functionality and enable us to remember the settings that you may have previously applied, such as language preference and font size.
Cookies that -
- Allow us to remember what preferences you may have set
- Allow us to remember your login details, like your user ID
3. Performance CookiesThese cookies track which pages you visit more frequently and how you use the website and its links. They also allow Amex Canada to promptly identify and fix any issues that might impact your journey within our website. The information that these cookies collect is not personal information, and is evaluated in terms of pages visited, not the physical person visiting them.
Cookies that -
- allow testing different versions of the same page, so we can assess which page layout provides the best customer experience
- enable analysis of visitor information such as browser usage, new visitor numbers, response to marketing activity, and shopping times
4. Amex Canada Marketing CookiesThese cookies ensure that the marketing messages you receive on the Amex Canada website are relevant to you.
Cookies that -
- allow us to make sure that Amex Canada online marketing and experiences are relevant to you
- hold an identifier for the user, which, when used in conjunction with other offline data, enables us to recognize our logged in customer and provide personalized marketing to them
5. Third Party Marketing CookiesThese cookies may be placed in your browser by a third-party advertising network or company that helps deliver the advertisements (‘ads’) that you see online. These 'third-party cookies' may be used to create a profile about your online activities and deliver ads tailored to you and your interests. Please note that Amex Canada has relationships with these carefully-selected and monitored third parties or suppliers who set these cookies in order to show you different products and services based on what you appear to be interested in.
Navigating to other sites: When providing you links to other websites, we recommend you read the privacy and cookies policies on those websites as Amex Canada is not responsible or liable for their privacy practices.
How to turn off cookies in your browserAmex Canada cookies do not store sensitive information such as your name, address or payment details; they simply hold the 'key' or 'id' that, once you're signed in, is associated with this information. However, if you'd prefer to restrict, block or delete cookies from our websites or any other website, you can use your browser to do this. Each browser is different and your browser ‘Help’ function will show you how to do this.
Please note that if you choose to disable cookies, it will affect how the Amex Canada website works. For example, while you will still be able to view the public website, you won't be able to log on to our secure journey, check your account balances, or make payments.