A rewards card allows you to earn points on everyday transactions, which you can redeem for a wide range of retail and travel purchases. The type of reward, and how quickly it can be earnt, will depend on the card and your spending habits.
As with regular credit cards, this type of card comes with credit limits and interest rates. To avoid paying interest and maximise benefits, you’ll need to pay off your bill in full each month.
Find out more about how credit cards work and how to use them wisely.
Make card Purchases
Use your rewards credit card to make purchases and earn reward points on every pound you spend.
The amount of rewards you earn is based on your spending. The more purchases you make using your card, the more points you get.
Once you have enough points in your account, you can redeem them for various rewards, such as flights, hotel stays, shopping, and much more.
There are several types of rewards credit cards offering:
- Travel Rewards. Enjoy a relaxing journey with benefits such as travel protection, lounge access, priority boarding and more.
- Airline Miles . Accumulate Avios on your purchases and spend them on a wide range of travel rewards such as flights, hotel stays, car hire and more.
- Hotel and Retail Rewards. Accrue hotel and retail rewards or loyalty points and redeem them at your favourite shops.
- Cashback. Earn cash rewards for your everyday purchases and use the money earned for any purpose, whether that’s saving or paying your bills.
- Premium Rewards. Collect rewards faster and enjoy travel privileges and personalised service, like having a team of professionals who can help with restaurant reservations, event tickets and special arrangements.
When choosing a Card, consider which rewards will best enhance your lifestyle. American Express Membership Rewards® allow you to:
Paying for purchases with your American Express Membership Rewards® points can save you money day to day. You can also choose to use your points to make a donation to charity.
Our partners make it easy to shop with your points, watch live sport or even visit the theatre. For example, you can use your American Express Membership Rewards® points to make purchases at Amazon.
Whether you’re planning a business trip, a weekend away or an overseas holiday, you can redeem points to book flights, hotels, car rentals and more.
Swap your American Express Membership Rewards points for Gift Cards from a wide range of our retail, entertainment and travel partners.
A rewards credit card allows you to earn points to redeem for a wide range of retail and travel purchases. To maximise its benefits and avoid interest and
late payment fees, you’ll need to pay your balance in full each month.
Life With AMEX
Get up-to-date information about managing your personal finances and money-saving tips to navigate through the big moments in life.
Earn cashback everyday.
American Express Cashback Credit Cards give you all the benefits and convenience of an American Express Credit Card, whist earning you cashback on your purchases.
Receive a variety of premium benefits such as airport lounge access or 2-4-1 travel vouchers on top of earning points for your everyday spend.
Travel Rewards Cards
Enjoy all the benefits, convenience and security of an American Express Card when travelling, with the added bonus of earning points when you make purchases at home and abroad.
Get the most out of life.
Enjoy all the benefits, convenience and security of an American Express Card – with the added bonus of accumulating Rewards points which offer you the flexibility to redeem for gift cards, hotels, and more.
No Annual Fee Cards
Get the most out of your Card with no annual fee.
Enjoy all the benefits, convenience and security of an American Express Card - with the added bonus of accumulating rewards.
To save time, use the following checklist to see if you meet our standard eligibility criteria:
I am aged 18 or over
I have no history of bad debt
I have a permanent UK home address
I have a current UK bank or building society account
Some Cards may have additional specific eligibility criteria, and you will be asked to provide employment, income and bank account information in order to submit your application.
Once you have found the Card that best suits you, read the important information, then click the 'Apply now' button on the page to begin the application process. At this point, you can choose optional additional benefits and also decide how you'd like your name to appear on your Card.
Find out if you're eligible with our Eligibility Checker
Only takes a couple of minutes to complete
Will not impact your
Allows you to apply
1. Membership Rewards Points earned on your Card can be redeemed for a wide variety of shopping, travel and entertainment rewards. Points can also be transferred to 12 frequent flyer and hotel loyalty programmes. For more information please visit membershiprewards.co.uk.
2. Terms and conditions apply to Avios redemptions. Reward Flights and Companion Voucher bookings are subject to availability and taxes, fees and carrier charges apply per person. Companion Vouchers can only be used when redeeming Avios for a British Airways, Iberia or Aer Lingus Reward Flight seat in economy only. Detailed information on Companion Vouchers can be found at ba.com/amex-companion or by calling 0844 493 0750 (calls cost 7ppm plus your telephone company access charge). Companion Vouchers earned from 1 September 2021 can be used on bookings departing from outside of the UK as well as allowing the Companion Voucher holder to benefit from a 50% reduction in Avios when making a Reward Flight booking with their Companion Voucher as a solo traveller. Only vouchers earned after 1 September 2021 can be used on Iberia and Aer Lingus. For full Companion Voucher Terms and Conditions visit: ba.com/amex-companion
3. Subject to enrolment, for more information click here. Terms and Conditions apply. Please see the Insurance Terms and Conditions for full details. Please read this to understand the limits and exclusions that may apply.
4. Earn Gold Elite status after making £15,000 in eligible purchase on your Card in a calendar year. This includes 25% Bonus Points on Stays, Gold Welcome Gift of Points (250/500 Points, Varies by Brand), 2p.m. Late Checkout (Based on Availability), Enhanced Room Upgrade (Based on Availability), Complimentary Enhanced In-Room Internet Access, Dedicated Elite Reservation Line.
5. Terms and Conditions apply to points redemptions and are subject to availability. Detailed information can be found here. All applicable Terms and Conditions will be provided to you as you receive your Card when approved.
6. New Cardmember offer: This new Cardmember offer is only available if you have not held a personal American Express Card within the previous 24 months. If you have held a personal American Express Card within the previous 24 months, you will be entitled to all other Card benefits, excluding the welcome offer.
25,000 Membership Rewards bonus points: Limited time offer. The 25,000 Membership Rewards bonus points will be awarded onto your Account if you are a new customer and you have applied after midnight GMT 11 October and before 11:59pm GMT 9 January 2024 and when you spend £3,000 in your first three months of Cardmembership. All introductory offers are subject to change and can be withdrawn at any time. Cardmembership begins from Card approval. Please note that it can take up to one month for bonus points to be awarded to your Account.
5,000 Membership Rewards bonus points: To qualify for the additional 5,000 points after 15 months of Cardmembership, one (1) purchase of any amount must be charged to your American Express® Preferred Rewards Gold Credit Card Card in month 15 of Cardmembership and subsequently posted to your Account. All spend must be made on the Card you were originally approved for to be eligible.
7. This new Cardmember offer is only available if you have not held a personal American Express Card within the previous 24 months. If you have held a personal American Express Card within the previous 24 months, you will be entitled to all other Card benefits, excluding the welcome offer. 5,000 bonus Avios: 5,000 bonus Avios will be awarded onto your Account once you have been approved and you have spent and charged a minimum of £1,000 on goods and services to the Account within three months of Cardmembership. Cardmembership begins from Card approval. Please note, it can take up to one month for the bonus Avios to be awarded to your Account once you have met the required spend.
8. New Cardmember offer: This new Cardmember offer is only available if you have not held a personal American Express® Card within the previous 24 months. If you have held a personal American Express Card within the previous 24 months, you will be entitled to all other Card benefits, excluding the welcome offer. 20,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy® points: You will receive 20,000 bonus points when you spend and charge £3,000 within the first three months of Cardmembership. Please note that it can take up to two months for bonus points to be awarded to your Account. Please see complete information on complimentary nights by visiting https://www.marriott.com/default.mi