American Express invests in programmes that incentivise Cardmembers to spend with businesses like yours.
Access to benefits like free marketing, savings on business solutions and more
UK Amex Cardmembers spend on average 1.4x more per transaction compared to the average UK credit and charge card.1
88% of UK Amex Cardmembers reported American Express as their payment method of choice.2
For over 10 years, Shop Small promotions have driven Cardmembers to shop local and in-person with money-back incentives.
Customer incentives to Shop Small at no cost to you
Free signage and marketing materials to bring customers to your door
Your business could be promoted in emails to Cardmembers
We know how important it is to attract customers to your store, that's why, when you accept our Cards, we provide promotional tools to encourage our Cardmembers to shop with you:
Unlock our marketing support for American Express Merchants. What's more, it's all provided by us, at no additional cost to you.
American Express® Cardmembers love using their Cards.
59% of UK American Express Cardmembers report they go out of their way to visit retail store that accept American Express.2
As well as big corporations, a huge number of small businesses in the UK accept American Express. These are in the retail, hospitality, travel and leisure sectors, plus many others. Some have physical locations and others are purely online, while many are a mix of both.
The number of UK Merchants who accept American Express is growing fast – in 2021-2022, 311,438 UK businesses joined us.4
1. Accept though your Payment Provider
Eligible small businesses can accept through your provider, which sets the rate for card acceptance. Plus receive a single statement and deposit, the same way you do for all card brands you accept at your business.
2. Accept through American Express
National and regional businesses or small businesses who prefer to accept directly through American Express can take advantage of competitive pricing opportunities, plus 24/7 expert support and protection to help your business thrive. Call 0800 399 911 or ask us to call you by filling out this form.
There are many reasons why accepting American Express can benefit your business:
Welcome high-value Cardmembers
Free Marketing Materials
1.Source: American Express data for United Kingdom Cardmembers spending across Europe compared to GlobalData Payment Card Analytics for transactions with domestic cards at terminals in the country and outside the country, including at physical terminals and initiated remotely.
2. Source: American Express commissioned internet panel survey conducted in February 2022 – March 2022 based on retail purchases made in the 6 months prior to the survey. Definition of American Express® Cardmembers: Respondents who reported that they have an American Express® Card and that they used that card to make retail purchases in the prior 6 months. Definition of Non-Cardmembers: Respondents who reported they do not have an American Express Card and used Visa, MasterCard, debit cards, cash, direct transfer, or payment services to make retail purchases in the prior 6 months to the survey.
3. Shop Small eligibility criteria:
Subject to American Express Shop Small terms and conditions. To find out more, call 0800 032 7216 or visit our Shop Small Resource Centre.
4. Based on American Express merchant locations set up between January 2021 and December 2022.