To save time before you apply for your American Express Card, it's best to make sure you can say yes to the following:
- I am aged over 18
- I have an annual income of $50,000 p.a. or more
- I am a permanent resident or citizen of New Zealand, and
- If self-employed, I have been trading for at least 18 months (or 12 months if I hold an existing American Express issued Card)
If you can say yes, go ahead. Your application takes less than 10 minutes and we’ll give you a response in 5 to 10 working days – so apply now.
Terms & Conditions
American Express credit approval criteria applies. Subject to Terms and Conditions. Interest Rates, fees and charges apply. All Interest Rates are quoted as an Annual Percentage Rate. All information is correct as at 4 April 2014 and is subject to change. This offer is only available to those who reside in New Zealand. Cards are offered, issued and administered by American Express International (NZ), Inc.
- The American Express® Platinum Edge Credit Card will have a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year of Card Membership. After the first year, the annual fee for the Basic Card will be $149. Offer only available to new Platinum Edge Credit Card Members who apply and are approved by 31 July 2014. Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any other Card product offered by American Express International (NZ), Inc in the preceding 12 month period are ineligible for this offer. There is no annual fee for up to 4 Supplementary Cards.
- Offer only available to new American Express Card Members who apply online by 31 July 2014, are approved and spend $500 on their new card in the first 2 months of Card Membership. Card Members who currently hold or who have previously held any other Card product offered by American Express International (NZ), Inc in the preceding 12 month period are ineligible for this offer. 5,000 Membership Bonus Points will be awarded to the eligible Card Member’s account 8-10 weeks after the spend criteria has been met. This advertised offer is not applicable or valid in conjunction with any other advertised or promotional offer
- Terms and Conditions apply. You must book at least 14 days prior to departure. All flights are subject to availability and American Express does not guarantee that seats or tickets will be available on the dates or times that you may wish to fly. Seat availability may be limited to certain dates and/or flights and it may be more difficult to book seats around public holidays, school holidays or special events. You can book up to 10 months in advance and as with all travel, the earlier you book the more availability options you’ll have. The complimentary domestic return flight is available every year of Card Membership on direct flights only. A standard 1-piece 23kg baggage allowance is included. See americanexpress.co.nz/edgewelcome for flight offer conditions.
- Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the Membership Rewards Programme available at membershiprewards.co.nz. Participating retailers include the following merchants who have been classified as "major supermarkets": Countdown, Countdown Online, Farro Fresh, FreshChoice, New World, Nosh, PAK'nSAVE and SuperValue. Participating retailers include the following merchants who have been classified as "major petrol stations": BP, Caltex, GAS (Gasoline Alley Services), Gull, Mobil, Shell and Z. Exceptions may apply if an individual merchant trading as one of the above named retailers does not accept American Express as a form of payment. Purchases at major supermarket & major petrol station retailers are only eligible for additional points if the transactions are made in New Zealand.
- To transfer Membership Rewards points into an airline partner programme or a frequent guest partner programme, you must be a member of the partner programme. Membership of the partner programme is the Card Member's responsibility and is subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable programme. A joining fee may apply. A transfer fee of $35 per transfer of points applies to an airline partner programme. Minimum redemption amounts apply. Partners are subject to change. Visit membershiprewards.co.nz for details.
- All rewards are subject to availability. Gift Card or Voucher rewards are valid for a period of three months from the date of issue unless otherwise stated. Normal retailer Gift Card or Voucher conditions apply. Upon redemption, a Voucher/Gift Card will arrive in the mail or by courier within 10 business days. Please refer to the Voucher/Gift Card for the validity date. You must provide a daytime physical address for delivery as a signature may be required on delivery. A PO Box or an overseas address cannot be used.
- Points for Credit cannot be used to pay the minimum payment amount due on your account. Points may be redeemed by the Basic Card Member for a credit on the Primary Card Account. American Express may decline a Points for Credit request where the Card Account or Card Member’s other accounts with American Express are not in good standing. The redemption of Points for Credit will be administered solely by American Express within 3 business days and cannot be reversed. Points for Credit is not available for redemption by Corporate Card accounts and is not redeemable for cash via credit balance refund. Points for Credit may only be used to reduce a Card Members statement balance to $0.00 and not put it into a credit balance.
- Offer only available to new Platinum Edge Credit Card Members who apply here online by 31 July 2014 and are approved. The 2.99% p.a. introductory promotional interest rate is only available on new purchases only after your application is approved. New purchases made in the subsequent six-month period from/after the first purchase on your Card will be subject to the promotional interest rate. After the six-month introductory period, the interest rate for purchases will revert to the prevailing interest rate at that time. Any balances transferred from your existing American Express Card, cash advances, charges for travellers cheques, fees and commissions are not purchases and are excluded from the 2.99% p.a. introductory promotional interest rate. Any balance remaining after the offer period will attract the standard interest rate at that time. Interest rates are current as at 4 April 2014 and subject to change. We intend to maintain the promotional low rate for the offer period if you make your minimum payments on time and reserve the right to withdraw this offer if your account is not in good standing or we become aware of any adverse credit information.
- American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card Insurances are underwritten by ACE Insurance Limited (Company No. 104656) (ACE) and are subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions (including age restrictions) contained in the American Express Platinum Edge Credit Card Insurances policy of insurance between American Express International (NZ), Inc. (Company No. 867929) (American Express) and ACE. This communication does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. It is important for you to read the Terms and Conditions available at americanexpress.co.nz/edgewelcome and consider the appropriateness of that insurance in relation to your individual requirements.
- Supplementary Credit Card Members must be over 18 years of age. You will be liable for all Supplementary Credit Card spending.
- If your Credit Card is lost or stolen, you must report it immediately. You can call American Express 24 hours a day. In New Zealand, call us on 0800 332 268. If you are overseas, report your lost or stolen Card to the nearest American Express Travel Service or Representative Office or call +64 9 583 8287. Once you have notified us, you are not liable for any unauthorised charges.
American Express International (NZ), Inc. Incorporated in Delaware, USA. ® Registered Trademark of American Express Company.