Moving to the United Kingdom
The easiest way to retain your existing Cardmembership status in UK is to apply for a new Card online. Please ensure you provide your existing account number when you apply, in addition to the other information listed on the right.
Apply for your new Card online:
- Select your preferred new Card from our All Cards page.
- Click to apply online.
- Please complete the application with your existing Card number, UK home address, UK phone number and previous home address.
- We’ll contact you within a week for ID documentation and any additional information, if required.
- Once approved we will send you your new Card.
- Please call the number on your old Card to transfer Membership Rewards® points, or if you wish to cancel your old Card.
- Process can take up to 7-10 days.
- If you have a United Kingdom credit file, it will be taken into account when processing your application.
- We may request a document for ID purposes.
- Membership Rewards points can be transferred to your new Card if it is enrolled in the Membership Rewards programme. Otherwise, please redeem the points before you cancel your existing Card. Please note there will be a currency conversion when the points are transferred.
- If you wish to keep your existing Card, you will continue to be billed any annual fees and any annual program fee(s) you are currently paying.
- The balance, if any, from your existing Card cannot be transferred over to the new Card, if approved.
- To be eligible for a new Card in the United Kingdom, your Consumer Card (including Small Business Cards, where applicable) must be issued by American Express. You must be the Basic Cardmember, and have held the Card for at least 3 months. Your Card Account must be open and in good standing at the time of application. Or, if the Card was previously cancelled by you, it must have been cancelled within the last 3 months. Corporate Cardmembers and Global Network Cardmembers (whose Cards were issued by Banks other than an American Express Bank) are not eligible through this Card application process.